Teen Program advice

theloo

I have 3 teens sailing on a 16-day cruise with many at-sea days.  They have been in the Kids Club in the past, but were a *bit* disruptive 😐  Can I get input on whether the teen program is useful?  I don't know how much my kids (aged 14, 14, and 16) would want to use it, but figured we would sign them up and see.  

Also, slightly related:  can I "deactivate" their medallions for on-board spending or set a $ limit?  I don't think they would abuse it, but are more likely to lose their medallions than me.  

In my somewhat limited experience (one daughter who registered for the teen center every year from age 14 until too old), the primary function of the teen center was to use it as a home base to meet up with new friends and from there, make their own fun. And it was really useful for that purpose. When she would return to our cabin at her curfew time, she told us what she and her friends did at night and it was mostly outside of the actual teen center. Pools. Hot tubs. Ping pong. Sometimes some wii games or a movie in the club. But she and her new friends didn’t depend on the Princess staff to occupy their time or force feed them games and events. Those things were there if desired, but the teens have come-and-go privileges and are pretty good at entertaining themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My grandkids will be doing their last Teen Club cruise this year since they will be 17.  They are veterans of the kids' clubs, and according to them, the Royal Class ships have better facilities that the Grand Class ships.  They don't spend all their time at the club.  I keep seeing them on board here and there with their new friends and always with an ice cream cone in hand. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I believe you used to be able to set a spending limit for the cruise card, but can't find that info for the medallion...now I want to know as we are taking my sissy's granddaughters i Dec...I do know that you will be able to check spending for anyone that has their account linked to your CC in your app (which I do regularly to catch erroneous charges)

Following! My DD14 will be going to the teen club a bit during our Panama Canal cruise on Ruby this Thanksgiving. We’ve always done lines with more “stuff” - ropes course, sky ride, rock wall, etc.- so I’m a bit nervous about her staying occupied! Do there tend to be a fair number of teens on these longer cruises?

On 4/29/2023 at 11:59 PM, theloo said:

Do you sign up for the teen program in advance (like the kids club) or is it purely drop in?

Similar sign up, as the teens are still minors, and you can identify if they have the right to come and go as they please or not.

We have a much younger daughter and we have her access rights in the kids club set up so that she can show up at the club on her own, but she can't leave without us picking her up.  That way, if she were to "get lost" on the ship or was looking for a safe haven she could go to the kids club and check-in, but we'd have to be there to check her out.

On 4/24/2023 at 9:12 PM, travelin.sisters said:

I believe you used to be able to set a spending limit for the cruise card, but can't find that info for the medallion...now I want to know as we are taking my sissy's granddaughters i Dec...I do know that you will be able to check spending for anyone that has their account linked to your CC in your app (which I do regularly to catch erroneous charges)

Yes, you can set some form of limits, but I'm pretty sure you have to arrange that through passenger services.

I think a better option would be to get the non-alcholoic beverage package for the kids, especially if they are pop drinkers.  Then you have no worries about spending on beverages.  I think the NA beverage package includes smoothies and mocktails, not sure about ice cream or gelato.  Its been a while since I looked at the packages since we last booked with Princess Plus.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jeromep said:

Similar sign up, as the teens are still minors, and you can identify if they have the right to come and go as they please or not.

I can't seem to find out where to do this.  I know in the past, I signed up for kids club in advance because they sent me a confirmation email before embarkation.