Lincoln Center replacement

skidroe

18 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Monetizing space seems to be a recent decision-driver. Not enough drinks sold, or fancy after dinner coffees ordered during the classical presentations?

Too many like me, enjoying  the free chocolates offered at the smaller ship Explorers Lounge during concerts.🤑

Haven’t seen the chocolates in years 

12 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Chamber music belongs in an intimate setting. Surrounded by exceptional acoustics.

Hope to God they do NOT amplify the classical ensembles whey they ask them fill the vast emptiness of the Main Stage Theater, like they do when they use these ensembles to back a BBC nature film. (Groan)

It is a shame HAL is not honoring this more intimate classical option, as part  of its touted "music walk"

Unfortunately, there isn't an appropriate "chamber" on a HAL ship. In the original music walk setup (K'dam), LC had their own space. There was more room and the chairs weren't as crowded together as in the Explorer lounge on other ships. And, to reply to your earlier comment, they could monetize this space because there was a bar nearby. All orders were taken and served before LC played, so there was no disruption. They had to have someone stand out in the walkway to shush people, so there was some noise issue. We still had to get there early to get a seat, which we didn't mind because we could have a drink while we waited.

On our second K'dam cruise, because of the walkway noise and the crowd size, HAL had moved LC to share the space BBKing uses. BUT BBK got all the evening times, and LC was given early times, like 5:00, which did not work for a lot of people. The space was good, plenty of room. But the timing was awful and attendance was down.

11 hours ago, BigMattT said:

The Main Stage theaters I've been in on HAL ships seem extensively treated to be acoustically 'dead'. I agree it's the wrong type of space for a classical ensemble, but failing to mic them in a space with such acoustics would be an even bigger mistake. Cruise ship construction, being devoid of wood paneled high ceilings... are rarely going to make for good acoustic instrument listening in general. But I'd be happy to be able to enjoy the Classical Musicians, amplified, in the Main Stage space versus the cramped LC Room with so much other noise permeating their very skilled performances.

You're right, there's no way a cruise ship is going to have a "proper" concert hall. I loved hearing the music "unplugged" in the LC room, even if seating was cramped. We can hope that someone will choose the sets to fit the venue. LC has some excellent "pop" sets, like Beatles (their Eleanor Rigby is fabulous!) and movie themes. Those would work, even amped, in the mainstage. Put the truly classical sets in LC room, for the intimacy of chamber music.