Switch insurance from medical to "Cancel for any reason"

We purchased a summer 2023 cruise to Alaska for our extended family in February.  We purchased a standard travel insurance policy that covers medical for any of the travelmates.  

We now have a situation where one of the travelmates may not be able to travel because of personal reasons, not because of medical.  Nothing is definite yet, but it is a possibility.  None of the rest of us want to travel if one of us can't go.

Can we either change our existing insurance to CFAR, or cancel this policy and purchase a new one?  Has anyone ever needed to do this?  Or am I dreaming?

Most likely too late.

First of all, travel insurance is purchased to protect you against unforeseen events. You're trying to recoup potential loss of a foreseen event. Since you've published said event on a public forum, you would most likely be caught.

2nd, CFAR coverage usually requires the insured to purchase coverage within X number of days of initial deposit.

• Thanks 1

@klfrodo's response is correct if you have already made your final cruise payment. But if you have not, then you may have an option.  Most of the plans sold by the cruise lines allow you to purchase their policies up until final payment.  Unless it is on Holland America, the CFAR policies from the cruise lines will give you a 75-100% cruise credit for the non refundable portion of your cruise fare.  This will not help with airfare or any pre/post stays on your own, but it may be attractive to you.

The medical coverage on the cruise line plans is minimal, so keeping your medical plan in addition to a cruise line plan is not a bad idea, even if you could cancel the policy or use it on a future trip.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies.  I did not know about the 'Unforeseen' vs 'Foreseen'.  Now that I know, I realize I can't switch.  Also, I am honest to a fault, so I have no doubt when trying to change this to CFAR, I would have told them there was a possibility of cancellation, so I'm sure would have been denied the insurance for this reason.

Cruise is paid in full, purchased through a TA, and is not HAL.

This is our first time buying travel insurance, so new experience for us.

On 4/28/2023 at 12:05 PM, klfrodo said:

2nd, CFAR coverage usually requires the insured to purchase coverage within X number of days of initial deposit.

Also nice to know, as we also have another cruise that we have made a $100 deposit on.  We haven't bought any insurance for it yet, and probably would not want CFAR anyway, but again, nice to know.