Amazon & Caribbean Adventure, February, 2023 Report with Iberostar Grand Amazon River Cruise after Viking

TayanaLorna

Posted (edited)

Lorna, what a wonderful cruise description. Thank you! As the water has risen and the visas deadline postponed, it looks like our Jan 2024 trip will head to the Amazon. Can you answer a question or two?

1. what did you pack that was appropriate for the very humid Amazon? (Did you bring rainwear on the excursions?)

2. how challenging was the Amazon hike? We were undecided what to book but chose the hike. I’m kind of wondering if the parahna fishing would have been a better choice. (I’m a birder…)

thanks so much!

@TayanaLorna

Edited by AHiggins

4 hours ago, AHiggins said:

Lorna, what a wonderful cruise description. Thank you! As the water has risen and the visas deadline postponed, it looks like our Jan 2024 trip will head to the Amazon. Can you answer a question or two?

1. what did you pack that was appropriate for the very humid Amazon? (Did you bring rainwear on the excursions?)

2. how challenging was the Amazon hike? We were undecided what to book but chose the hike. I’m kind of wondering if the parahna fishing would have been a better choice. (I’m a birder…)

thanks so much!

@TayanaLorna

Glad you enjoyed my photo journal.  I reread it today and saw my typos.  I am usually much more diligent in proof reading.  Ah well.

My DH says the Tapajos Forest hike was easy as it was pretty flat.  It's probably the humidity that taxes a person most.

I loved the Maica Lake piranha fishing one and I am a birder.  Saw quite a few birds and heard even more then I could spot.

We brought rain jackets and rain pants but never wore them due to the humidity.   We also had rain ponchos which we used and were more practical.  They were easy on and off, had a hood and protected our cross body bags or backpacks too.  They dried quickly and folded up small for the next excursion.  We found that when it rained, we also got gusty wind sometimes raining sideways so umbrellas were useless.

We had lightweight Columbia or Prana pants that were quick drying and long-sleeved lightweight Columbia SPF rated shirts.  Both for sun and insect protection.  However the insects were not a problem during the day.

• Like 2

I forgot to ask if it is better to book the Iberostar cruise through the company

or use a travel agent. I didn’t know if there were any discounts available.

12 hours ago, JJean said:

I forgot to ask if it is better to book the Iberostar cruise through the company

or use a travel agent. I didn’t know if there were any discounts available.

I booked it directly on their website.  Rainforest Cruises books several different Amazon riverboat lines including Iberostar but I found them to be more expensive then direct for Iberostar.  Iberostar has hotels all over the world and a membership program.  When I joined I got a 5% discount and also an early booking discount - but I booked 10 months in advance.

@TayanaLorna

When we arrive in Macapa at the mouth of the Amazon River, we will be at latitude 0.04N.  We will still be in the Northern Hemisphere.  However, once we reach Santarem, we will be at latitude 2.46S.  We will have crossed the Equator.

If we did this at sea there would be a ceremony.  For first timers (this includes us), this is an accomplishment.  Was there a similar celebration on the River?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, millybess said:

@TayanaLorna

When we arrive in Macapa at the mouth of the Amazon River, we will be at latitude 0.04N.  We will still be in the Northern Hemisphere.  However, once we reach Santarem, we will be at latitude 2.46S.  We will have crossed the Equator.

If we did this at sea there would be a ceremony.  For first timers (this includes us), this is an accomplishment.  Was there a similar celebration on the River?

I was disappointed that there was no Equator Crossing party.  I don't know if it was due to crossing that "sea" mark was accomplished on a river.  I recall that day was scenic cruising on the Amazon. I was taking a sick day in our stateroom but probably would have asked why or inquired if not.

• Thanks 1

We were on the cruise with Lorna. As she said Viking did nothing to celebrate crossing the equator, was not even mentioned over the tannoy system that we were crossing it, nor any certificate. I took this picture on my phone using Google maps.

B4EFCB06-A766-4E69-97F5-562B8CCA3579.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Messybill said:

@TayanaLorna Do you recall if there was an Astronomer on board who talked about the southern sky? 

I don't think so. Nope just looked at the Viking Dailies from our trip.  We did have an awesome wildlife photographer on board - Richard Lovelock.