Train from Naples to Rome

crewsgirl

Looking for help here please. We are disembarking our ship a day early in Naples and I am researching plans to get to Rome. We also would like to tour a bit and are considering options. My first option is to take a taxi from the port (we will have all our luggage) to the train station and use the direct high speed train to Rome center city. We have hotel reservations near the Coliseum and can book an afternoon tour of Rome once we have arrived and dropped off luggage. Or, should we just hire a driver in Naples, and combine the tour with the transportation into Rome. If so, what tour/transfer company would you suggest? 

I would love to do the Amalfi Coast, but its the wrong direction, correct? Are there any other points of interest between Naples headed to Rome that would be worth this extra expense? TIA

If you really want to see the Amalfi Coast, you could hire a car service to pick you up at the port and spend the day along the coast, ending in Salerno where you could get a direct high speed train to Rome.  Both Trenitalia and Italotreno have trains on this route.

If you decide to drive to Rome, the most obvious stopping point along the way would be the royal palace and gardens at Caserta.

Your plan to take the high-speed train to Rome will be much less expensive and you will gain more time in Rome.

Hiring a driver to take you from Naples to Rome will be considerably more expensive and will of course mean that you won't gain any extra time in Rome. One prominent, recommended private tour operator charges 800-900 euros for a daytrip to Naples from Rome that includes Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. Now granted they will not have the return trip, but sometimes drivers doing a one-way transfer (such as from Naples to Rome) tack on additional charges because they will still have to drive back to their starting point after dropping you off, and gas is expensive....

On the topic of whether there is anything to see, you would be driving through northern Campania and much of Lazio to reach Rome. There are potentially many interesting stops along the way, but you will likely only have time for 1 or 2 stops. The drive itself will take a minimum of two and half hours.

Potential sites to visit might include Capua (home of a fine amphitheatre and home of the famous gladiator/slave revolt led by Spartacus); once you reach Lazio, there are a number of smaller charming towns with Roman or Etruscan history -- depending on whether you drive the straightest path to Rome or follow a route closer to the coast. I think Sperlonga, on the water, is a must-see "off the beaten path" destination. There's a cave there that was used by a Roman emperor as a spectacular setting for dining on the beach.

And yes, the Amalfi Coast is in the wrong direction if you want to head for Rome. 

Thank you all so much. I have visited Amalfi Coast, Positano, & Sorrento on a previous trip with my daughter, and my husband just said he is more comfortable getting to Rome as soon as possible, because there is so much to see/do there. Would you prebook train tickets now on this website for a date in June? https://www.italiarail.com/?_ga=2.237465735.609452399.1683324874-1159613843.1683059241&_gac=1.160872015.1683086032.Cj0KCQjw6cKiBhD5ARIsAKXUdybUVmejypCexMlm-mu_E8LDb45NAgzmPqyC6n8TgyDyZCFlPS_2a_kaAoZzEALw_wcB

Do the train prices vary depending on availability? This is on a Sunday, how busy/crowded are trains on Sundays? 

We will have luggage, probably 1 checked bag and 2 carryons...yikes, do we need premium seats to accommodate the luggage? Are the standard tickets unable to accommodate our luggage? 

Sorry for the all the questions, we have had so many changes in this cruise, it has been overwhelming to consider changing all our plans and we are in countdown mode! Thanks for your help. 

No!  Italia rail is a reseller, buy directly from the train operators.  Check both national lines to find the best combination of time and price for your trip.

EN - Trenitalia

Italy high speed train tickets| Italotreno.it - Official website

Train prices vary based on demand, similar to airfares.   That's why it pays to check both operators, the service they offer is comparable.  

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

No!  Italia rail is a reseller, buy directly from the train operators.  Check both national lines to find the best combination of time and price for your trip.

EN - Trenitalia

Italy high speed train tickets| Italotreno.it - Official website

Train prices vary based on demand, similar to airfares.   That's why it pays to check both operators, the service they offer is comparable.  

Thank you so much! Very helpful. 

You do not need 1st Class Tickets. You will be able to choose reserved seats on the two websites. Take a cable lock to secure your luggage if it's going to be out of your sight. You must be able to handle your luggage onto the train.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 4:25 PM, Langoustine said:

You do not need 1st Class Tickets. You will be able to choose reserved seats on the two websites. Take a cable lock to secure your luggage if it's going to be out of your sight. You must be able to handle your luggage onto the train.

It looks like there is a "Before" class ticket, sounds pretty standard, is that the one I should choose for a train ticket? Thanks for the lock comment, that is now my husband's only job....to acquire a cable luggage lock! 

1 hour ago, crewsgirl said:

It looks like there is a "Before" class ticket, sounds pretty standard, is that the one I should choose for a train ticket? Thanks for the lock comment, that is now my husband's only job....to acquire a cable luggage lock! 

I was wondering where you had seen a "Before" class ticket as I'd never heard of it. I went to the Italo website and realized that what you are looking at is probably "Prima" (perhaps translated?).  "Prima" can mean "Before" but in this case it means "First".  😉

• Haha 1

Thank you cruisemom, you're right. It was in translation....And somehow, Italo doesn't like my credit card. I am now looking at trenitalia, are they about the same? I want a nice direct high speed train experience. Shouldn't be this hard to book a ticket, but I just read a review that it was a nightmare on site, so I want this done beforehand for sure!

10 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

The high speed service is pretty comparable between Trenitalia and Italotreno.  

Well, I'm glad you said that, because we are booked in Business class on Trenitalia and it was so much easier to book through them. I will get train updates by text/email and it is a direct route. Interestingly, all the senior tickets were sold out. We are set! 

2 hours ago, crewsgirl said:

Thank you cruisemom, you're right. It was in translation....And somehow, Italo doesn't like my credit card. I am now looking at trenitalia, are they about the same? I want a nice direct high speed train experience. Shouldn't be this hard to book a ticket, but I just read a review that it was a nightmare on site, so I want this done beforehand for sure!

The problem might be that your credit card rejected an overseas charge. My card (Chase) contacts me if they do this, and ask if it was me. I say it was, and they have the charge re-submitted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The problem might be that your credit card rejected an overseas charge. My card (Chase) contacts me if they do this, and ask if it was me. I say it was, and they have the charge re-submitted.

Yes, I have had to submit a verification code on every overseas purchase on my card, and yes, my card company is texting me asking to confirm the charge as well. I do think that is a safeguard!