Scooters in Barcelona

gail-s

Has anyone rented a scooter for the day as a way to see Barcelona?  We’ll be there for 2 days and planning out the trip. We thought it might be a neat way to get around but having never been there, I’m curious how realistic it is. 

Barcelona is a great walking city. Where needed we hopped on the bus and have used a taxi from the port to Sagrada Familia for our early entry tickets.

If you are talking about the little electric scooters think hard about your insurance there will be people and cars everywhere this is a busy city. The pedestrians will be your biggest problem.

Has anyone rented a scooter for the day as a way to see Barcelona?

it isn't at all clear what type of "scooter" you are referrinng to.  Is it a motor scooter, an e-scooter, or a mobility scooter (seriously) or some other type?

Depending on the type of "scooter" there will be local regulations about where you can ride them and you would need to research that  online.

Check that your travel insurance covers you in event of an accident or injury. 

I have used motorcycles/scooters numerous times in Barcelona but would not recommend it as a way of viewing the sights/sites.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I meant motorized scooter, vespa, moped, aka tiny motorcycle.

In that case, post #4 will be relevant to you. and it IS a very busy city, also parts of the historical centre are pedestrianised so you would not be able to go to them with with motorized scooters.  In areas where you can ride and you have sights/sites to visit, you would then have the issue of finding parking.

If a first visit for you and you have 2 days,ii would suggest you buy a either a 1 or 2 day ticket for the HOHOs as these cover a large part of the city and there is more than one route so you can switch about at certain points.  Use the first day as an easy way to get to see these areas and get a really good overview of the city as you would simply stay onboard and ride both full routes.  You could leave it at that, and DIY explore on day 2, or if you bought for 2 days, you could use day #2 tickets as a means of getting to those sights/places you identified as being places of interest to you and you could ride between each stop, but remember that some sights require pre-booking and you should arrange these ahead of time. It is a wonderful city to explore, but both large and busy.

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 months later...

Back from the trip and we didn't rent scooters anywhere.  I thought Boston drivers were insane but Barcelona was pretty close.  And Rome was 100 times worse.  In the days leading up to the trip we had a ton of family stuff to deal with and i never got the driving permit.  Walking through Rome I told my husband I was glad I hadn't bothered because there was no way I would have been comfortable driving there.  Wanted to share since some of you were nice and responded to my original question.  THanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2