Germaines Luau

floridababa

We went to Germaine's luau once (2010) when we were staying in Honolulu and the hotel offered it.  It is a huge venue, we ended up miles away from the stage.  I don't know if there might have been a way to pay a little more and get closer, or maybe we just didn't know any better.  The food and drink were okay.  

CIMG1943.thumb.JPG.6ff4efc46b0815791ebc330b3c54bc92.JPG

Haven’t been but some of my fellow roll call members had.  We went to the Chief’s Luau and those that had been to Germaine’s said that the Chief’s was superior.  That was a few years ago, though.  2016/2017

We went in February this year on a HAL ship excursion. HAL has 2 levels for this excursion, a basic level with seating further away from the stage, and a VIP level with seating close to the stage, extra drink tickets, priority access to the buffet and the bar, to avoid the long lines, and a couple other perks. We got the VIP as we looked at this as a once in a lifetime thing. We thought the food was good and plentiful, the drinks were small and just ok. We enjoyed the show, especially since we were seated in the closest table to the stage, front and center, thanks to the VIP package. Both the basic level and the VIP were really expensive, I think we paid $295 per person for the VIP and I think the basic level was around $40 cheaper. Was it "worth it"? For us it was, just to experience it once. Would we do it again? No, I don't think so, once was enough for the cost. If you are comfortable with the cost, I do recommend it as something to experience at least once. 

PXL_20230227_033103051.jpg

PXL_20230227_052341370.jpg

I would not recommend it.  Food was just ok. Nothing different.  Seating very uncomfortable on a picnic bench where the sand needed raking to level.   Feet were swinging.  Show was good but a long time sitting on a narrow bench facing the wrong way. Had to turn your head and juggle it around others.   

I was signed up to go to this luau on 69 day trip last year, however was cancelled, no reason given, but perhaps covid related. I was disappointed as no replacement was offered.  HAL did have local dancers and singers on board as we toured through the islands, which performed in various venues.  

If you are active/retired military or a DoD employee.....I recommend the Hale Koa Luau.  The Hale Koa Hotel is adjacent to the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki

• Like 1

7 hours ago, floridababa said:

Anyone been or know about this in Hawaii? 

Many, many years ago. It was once the top luau in Honolulu. Those days are long gone. Germaine's is in Ko Olina, Paradise Cove Luau, Chief's Luau and Disney's Aulani Luau are all better in Ko Olina.

Also better are the PCC Luau, Toa Luau, Starlight Luau, Experience Nutridge, Hale Koa, and maybe the Queen's Luau.

In short, I would not choose Germaine's.

4 hours ago, SDARCH said:

If you are active/retired military or a DoD employee.....I recommend the Hale Koa Luau.  The Hale Koa Hotel is adjacent to the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki

I'd also recommend the Starlight Luau at Hilton Hawaiian Village since they moved it OFF the top of the parking garage and back to the lawn next to Duke Kahanamoku Lagoon.

1 hour ago, floridababa said:

That is the one that HAL has as an excursion

You don't need a HAL excursion to go to a luau. The Ka Moana Luau is at the Aloha Tower or you can get a cab into Waikiki for two or three decent luaus.

• 2 weeks later...

Of relevant interest to me because I'm going to Hawaii in November on HAL. I had signed up for this, then I saw that if I signed up directly with them, it would be $150 instead of the $280 that HAL is charging.

This is my first trip to Hawaii, and I'd like to see a Luau, but I'm no longer sure if this is the best option. I've seen a few alternatives above, but does anyone have a recommendation? 

Germaine's would be the last luau I'd book. Look at Experience Nutridge, Waikiki Starlight Luau and Queen's Waikiki Luau. These are all within 20 minutes of the ship. There is no need to go out to Ko Olina or Kapolei for a luau.

• Like 1