AON insurance is great!

joyy7403

On April 11 we had to cancel our April 16 cruise due to illness in the family. Filled out the initial application for a refund , they turned us down. On May 7 we received a Future Cruise Credit for a very fair amount! My PCC said it’s the fastest credit he’s ever seen! We have never used insurance, but I’m sure glad it was an easy process. Don’t be afraid of using NCL’s insurance, it was worth it for us.

• Like 2

I'm glad you received yours so fast!!

We canceled a cruise in August (August sailing), received the decline from Aon in February after we complained to the NYS Dept. of Financial Services. Then, post day 30, NCL finally credited us our 90% FCC. They did it slowly enough so we had to pay for our March cruise, in full. Now, we have to book another NCL cruise (for better or worse). 

3 hours ago, joyy7403 said:

On April 11 we had to cancel our April 16 cruise due to illness in the family. Filled out the initial application for a refund , they turned us down. On May 7 we received a Future Cruise Credit for a very fair amount! My PCC said it’s the fastest credit he’s ever seen! We have never used insurance, but I’m sure glad it was an easy process. Don’t be afraid of using NCL’s insurance, it was worth it for us.

Nice to read a positive experience.   

Is the NCL FCC part of the AON insurance?  I thought it was just an NCL thing for when the insurance claim is denied.  I'm not seeing how AON is "great" here.  Maybe I don't understand the process.

3 hours ago, joyy7403 said:

Filled out the initial application for a refund , they turned us down.

Why did they reject the claim?

23 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We canceled a cruise in August (August sailing), received the decline from Aon in February after we complained to the NYS Dept. of Financial Services.

Again, why was the claim denied and did the NYS Dept. do anything to help?

34 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Is the NCL FCC part of the AON insurance?  I thought it was just an NCL thing for when the insurance claim is denied.  I'm not seeing how AON is "great" here.  Maybe I don't understand the process.

The claim was rightfully denied. We canceled for a non-covered reason. Found a better cruise option that was virtually the same amount of money for almost twice as long a cruise.

I don't know if it was mere coincidence or if the fact we filed a complaint with NYS did anything to quicken the denial...it had languished for 5.5 months in pending before we filed the complaint. Then, two weeks later....boom! It was finally denied. 

The FCC is provided by NCL as part of the Platinum insurance package, but not from Aon. It's basically "cancel for any reason," but not an insurance product. NCL will provide 90% FCC if you cancel for any reason that is denied by the insurance company...but the damned insurance company has to deny it first. So, yea, it's not a great thing, because of the extended wait. I was providing a not great experience in contrast to the original poster.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

The FCC is provided by NCL as part of the Platinum insurance package, but not from Aon. It's basically "cancel for any reason," but not an insurance product. NCL will provide 90% FCC if you cancel for any reason that is denied by the insurance company...but the damned insurance company has to deny it first.

Thanks.  I guess I did understand it.

• Like 1

ChiefMateJRK, to be honest, we had a very sick cat who we thought was dying. I was very honest with them, sent them copies of vet bills too. They probably got a good laugh out of it, I knew it wasn’t a good claim. But anyone who has furry family members will understand, he was more important than our cruise. We are very lucky that he’s better & back to his old self. So, instead of a refund we got an FCC, which was fine, a percentage of the total, of course. There will be many cruises in our future, I’m sure!

19 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Maybe I don’t understand how it works either. Like I said, I’ve never filed a claim. You’re probably right about once refused, NCL  gives an FCC. At least AON was quick to refuse!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joyy7403 said:

Maybe I don’t understand how it works either. Like I said, I’ve never filed a claim. You’re probably right about once refused, NCL  gives an FCC. At least AON was quick to refuse!

You don't have to file with NCL. Once Aon denies your claim, NCL will automatically issue the FCC. 

image.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joyy7403 said:

ChiefMateJRK, to be honest, we had a very sick cat who we thought was dying. I was very honest with them, sent them copies of vet bills too. They probably got a good laugh out of it, I knew it wasn’t a good claim. But anyone who has furry family members will understand, he was more important than our cruise. We are very lucky that he’s better & back to his old self. So, instead of a refund we got an FCC, which was fine, a percentage of the total, of course. There will be many cruises in our future, I’m sure!

I fully understand and am glad to hear that your cat is better.  I've had cats all my life and our current one is just a great friend and entertainer.  The worst part of cruising is that we miss our cat.

• Like 1