Question about Tips

Truluv

I haven't cruised for a few years (Covid) but will be cruising again with RCL in the Fall.  It feels like I've aged 20 years in the last 5 years since my last cruise.  (Sigh).  I know the standard gratuity has gone up to $16/day per person since my last cruise, while services were cut back -- for ex., to once a day cabin service.  My question is whether most solo travelers use the basic daily pp rate for tips, or do solo travelers add a premium to help make up the difference for their cabin between solo/double?  For purposes of my question, let's assume service is average and not exceptional.  Thank you for the advice!

@Truluv

You certainly wouldn't need to (or be expected to) tip a greater amount simply because you're the only person in the cabin. If the service is exceptional, I normally give the cabin steward something extra toward the end of the cruise, regardless of whether I'm sailing solo (which I sometimes do) or with my wife---maybe $50 or $100, depending on the length of the cruise. But if the service has been perfunctory at best, I probably wouldn't. There really are no hard-and-fast rules other than not feeling pressured but doing what feels right to you. 

• Like 2