Do the sea sick patches work . . . ?

northwest

We have friends who cruise frequently. He used to use the patch, but has trouble with it fallling off (due to oily skin), so he's switched to using 1/2 a bonine in the morning, and another 1/2 at night, which seems to keep his tummy under control.

My daughter also has trouble with seasickness. Our last cruise, we got a prescription for the patch. The first couple of days she was fine, but starting about the 3rd day she started having real trouble with blurry vision. On day 5, she gave up and took it off and went back to the bonine and ginger capsules. I guess that is one of the "more common" side effects, but she found it very annoying and decided she'd rather be able to see even if she was a little queasy.

For my first 2 cruises I used Meclazine which is the prescription form of Bonine. It is now available over the counter. The last cruise I used the patch, and while I did not get sick, I did get very blurry vision, I had to hold the trivia card right up to my face and I still could not see it. I also got very thirsty. At the time, I was not aware that blurry vision was a side affect of the patch so I was freaking out. If you can handle blurry vision, they work great on the sickness. As the above post mentions, take 1/2 of a bonine in the morning, and 1/2 at night and then 1/2 if you need it in between. No problems with drowsiness then. Bonine works much better than Dramamine.

I always use Scopalamine patches (about to go on our 16th cruise at the end of the month). Yes, the vision starts getting blurry after the 3rd day for me, and I've also gotten dry mouth, but...

On my very first cruise in 1990, we had fun with hurricane Trudy on the Mexican Riviera. It seemed as though the entire ship - cruise staff and all, were getting sick. My friend and I were wearing the patches, and had no trouble at all with sea sickness. Since I am definitely prone to motion sickness, and the patch was well proven to me, I am happy to put up with the side effects and wear it faithfully.

One trick I have been doing on our longer cruises though, if we're in port for a full day, I'll take the patch off while in port. I learned that I need to put it back on in time for departure though, because once I forgot and sure enough got a bit queasy.

Just my 2 cents worth!

My experience with the patch: wore it for a cross-country airplane trip (and glad I did) and forgot to take it off and slept with it. I had it on 24+ hours, but the box said you could have 1 on for 3 days. For the rest of the week I had trouble hearing and very very bad balance. I won't use it again. :)

My vote is the patch.

Yes, some people have blurred vision but after experimenting with them a few times this is what works for me.

I cut them in 1/2 and attach the 1/2 with you know those little round band-aids. I don't get the blurred vision anymore.

And for the balance problem.....after you get back home and on land, I wear the patch for two or three days after.

I have tried Bonine, and even though it says less drowsiness I had to take a nap every day because I was so tired.

I used Scopalamine patches in the Navy. If you think a cruise ship moves, try a submarine that "only" grosses 18,000 tons and doesn't have a keel. I used the patches once when we went under some really bad seas, we did 20 to 30 degree rolls for two days and the patch got me through it without being sick. I didn't use it long enough to have any vision effects or balance problems, not that you could have noticed bouncing off the bulkheads. Our corpsman would not let us apply the patch without washing hands and thoroughly cleaning your neck where the patch was supposed to go. Since it works by penetrating the skin into your bloodstream, you don't want anything nasty on your hands or neck to get carried in! Good luck with it, have a great cruise!

They worked for my friend...but she did not like them after the trip. She took it off and felt ill and dizzy for a few days after. I also have another friend whose patch fell off and she never missed it...never got sea sick etc. They say if you take the patch off and cut a quarter of it out each day you don't experience the dizziness afterwards.

I have always had travel sickness, I can remember puking while in the back seat of my dads jaguar (leather interior kills me) So I always use the patch, my first cruise I left it in my luggage and I swear I wasn't aboard ship for 30 mins and I felt horrible. I have never noticed vision problems but I do agree with leaving it on for a few days after debarkation cos I felt like I was rocking and rolling for days when I took it of on the drive home. But on this past December cruise I think we did get a little rougher weather or maybe just the time of the year or where our cabins were son threw up and I did have to go back to the cabin and lie down one night.

. . . or is there no consistant answer because it depends on the individual? Please share your experiences. Thanks.

Hello northwest,

so many of 'us' have some sort of experience or opinion about the scopolamine patch that my 'two cents' will not make much difference but let me share what I think is important and what wife and I have experienced in the past;

To start with, do yourself a big favor and please consult your medical doctor even if you can / may purchase the Scopolamine patch without Rx (in Canada and Mexico) - there are many existing conditions especially in the older cruisers that will prevent you from using scopolamine..........if you will not do that at least click on the link below and spent few minutes reading what the manufacturer of the patch wants you to know:

http://www.transdermscop.com/information.htm#whatis

Wife and I used the patch on one of our cruises (both of us are prone to motion sickness) and had similar to others side effects: blurred vision, very sensitive to light, some disorientation, some dizziness and difficulty in keeping balance - but no sea sickness.

There was a period of time that the Transderm patch was taken off the market in the US.......I read someplace that there was a problem with the 'delivery system' - the patch is made to deliver 1mg of scopolamine evenly over a period of 72 hours........and was not doing that....and some corrections were made.

Some people suggest to CUT the patch in some portions.....manufacturer does not allow that .......any cutting will change the delivery system and the body may get a lot more medication at one time and cause an overdose. The patch is one size as far as the dose of scopolamine in the patch and perhaps someone small will not need as much medicine as someone large.......but it can not be cut......put some small piece of plastic under one portion of the patch to reduce its delivery.

I have seen many people on every cruise wearing the patch, so maybe they get some benefits.....but strangely ......when I asked the ship's doctors about the patch.....most will not recommend them, I wonder why??? Must be the side effects that they are affraid of. The ship's doctors see more sea sick people than any doctor on land.....so they should know what works and what does not.

If one is planning on sea diving.....be aware of the disorientation (read the information on the package).

I guess every medication can offer something good and bad at the same time......and what is good for one might not be the answer for another.

Wes

Northwest, I agree w/ wiesclaw about a visit to your family physician. I haven't cruised since I was a teenager (too long ago to mention the number of years! LOL), and on that cruise we used Meclazine (spelled?). The Meclazine worked pretty good.

What I'm doing for this trip, is paying a visit to my primary physician, get a prescription for the patch, pack Bonine, pack Dramamine, pack ginger tablets, pack the wrist band. I agree w/ dramamine and the drowsiness, I've used it for amusement parks. I just want to have it all packed just in case something doesn't work.

I also agree with 'different remedies' for different folks. Thus, why I'm taking all the various remedies and see what works for me!

I'd test the patch before you leave. I tried the patch this past December, while I didn't get sea sick, I did have an asthma attack and had trouble breathing throughout the cruise. However, when we got back I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia so I can't say for sure it was the patch.

I've not dared to use the patch. When I list the pros and cons, the cons are a much longer list. I love to read, can't do that with blurry vision. I love to have wine with dinner and an occasional cocktail, can't drink while wearing the patch. I already have enough trouble walking with high heels on, I don't need to be more unstable. I already drink a lot of water, I'd drown if I were more thirsty.

I'm very prone to motion sickness and have been since I was a child. I have found that taking non-drowsy Bonine at bedtime every night beginning the night before departure works very well for me. I'm not sleepy, although naps are a favorite activity while on a cruise! I don't have any of the side effects of medication and most important, I'm not at all seasick.

I take along seabands, in case we do hit very rough seas, or we go onto a small vessel for a shore excursion. I'll also order a ginger ale in the evening on occasion.

DW is prone to seasickness. She used to wear the patches for the entire cruise (didn't know about the 1-3 day thing). She would take the patch off once we gat home then have severe nausea (flu like symptoms) for the next week. Talked to the doc about this, she said DW got hooked on the patch meds and was having withdrawl symptoms!

DW now uses the sea bands (wrist accupressure points) to great effect without the hangover.

Im very prone to sea-sickness. I had my doc prescribe Transdermascop, not sure of the generic name for it. Its a small round patch that goes behind your ear. I used it on a fishing trip off the coast of Costa Rica. We were on a ~30ft boat and I felt great. The only symptom was a little dry mouth that a bottle of water cured.

Nick

All responses are correct

talk to your doctor

you may be able to take pills or buy sea bands

every medication has side effects and affect people differantly

My experience....very prone to seas sickness......took my patchs on one trip but decided to wait and use them if I needed them.....you guessed it, an unplanned storm kicked up and it takes 4 hours for the patch to start working.....I crawled to the bathroom and puked for 3 hrs straight (14 ft waves)......the patch is the first thing I pack......I never leave home without them.....there was a time when they were not available and I understand there is a big back order currently.

I understand that people who try them and do have side effects need only take the patch off and the side effects quicklt disappear.

I do well with them and have no side effects either wearing them or after I get home.

This past June I went to Alaska and it is the first time that I got sea sick. It also didn't help that I had to tell my daughter several times that I needed to get out of the room!!! I felt it coming:(. I took Dramamine (hopefully spelled it correctly) with me just in case the kids needed it. I took 1 pill because I thought I was going to give up last night's dinner. I did have to go to my cabin and take a nap. What I did afterwards was take the child dose. It kept me from getting sick and I wasn't sleepy or weak. I know that not everyone is the same but this worked for me.:)

As as lifelong sufferer of motion-sickness, I've been using the patches for over 15 years.

The best way to avoid the "withdrawal" symptoms, based on advise my from dr., is to leave the last "3 day" patch on for about 6 days and rx level in your system gradually goes down.

I have also used wrist bands, some help.

For acute situations, there are several rx which can be placed under the tongue for quick absorption into the system.

Your dr. can advise what's best for you!

After reading some of the posts, I have come to the conclusion that I am one very lucky cruiser. I have never had any of the side effects happen to me nor any of the after effects after removal. I never want to feel seasick again. It is one of the worst feelings. It boils down to different strokes for different folks. Good luck in finding the right remedy for you!! I will continue to use the patch.

Kim

Archived