To “Tip or Not to”

Claudia444

16 minutes ago, zalusky said:

I don't object to tips although I think they should be billed up front.   I don't like giving tips directly to people.  I much prefer they receive anonymously and not know from whom they received them.

Maybe the hotel manager would arrange to distribute envelopes for you but I doubt it. The only sure way for the people you want to tip to actually get them is from your hand.

15 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Maybe the hotel manager would arrange to distribute envelopes for you but I doubt it. The only sure way for the people you want to tip to actually get them is from your hand.

That's not important to me.  Everybody should get their fair share.   There are plenty of people doing stuff for me site unseen.  That is why I believe in the onboard account approach if not upfront.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, duquephart said:

It remains pretty clear that if one wishes "gratuities" to go directly to the folks who provide him/her services on a particular cruise one must do so by distributing cash out of his/her own pocket ...

Quite correct - and true for EVERY cruise line I'm aware of - whether they make the service charge "visible" or whether they bury it in an "inclusive" fare (with no opt out ability). If you want to connect the dots between your money and an individual, you have to give it to them yourself - everywhere that I know of.

17 hours ago, duquephart said:

... I am getting to where I feel no obligation to be upfront with a company which is not upfront with me.

I don't understand why you feel Viking is not upfront. The service charge is clearly noted in their materials (and discussed at infinite length on these boards), and they state it is directed to a wide range of staff on the ship. If your concern is that Viking refuses to provide details on how and when they distribute the service charge, would you be have the same concern with an all-inclusive line where the service charge is not visible? 🍺🥌

6 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Quite correct - and true for EVERY cruise line I'm aware of - whether they make the service charge "visible" or whether they bury it in an "inclusive" fare (with no opt out ability). If you want to connect the dots between your money and an individual, you have to give it to them yourself - everywhere that I know of.

I don't understand why you feel Viking is not upfront. The service charge is clearly noted in their materials (and discussed at infinite length on these boards), and they state it is directed to a wide range of staff on the ship. If your concern is that Viking refuses to provide details on how and when they distribute the service charge, would you be have the same concern with an all-inclusive line where the service charge is not visible? 🍺🥌

Is the fact that "The service charge is clearly noted in their materials" adequate? Would it not be more forthcoming of Viking to mention the additional charge at the time of booking? Are not charges of this sort (resort fees, convenience fees, etc.) typically stated in the amount the customer is expected to pay and known before the "pay" button is pushed?

14 hours ago, duquephart said:

Is the fact that "The service charge is clearly noted in their materials" adequate? Would it not be more forthcoming of Viking to mention the additional charge at the time of booking? Are not charges of this sort (resort fees, convenience fees, etc.) typically stated in the amount the customer is expected to pay and known before the "pay" button is pushed?

Which cruise lines that don't claim "all inclusive" does this now? In the case of "all inclusive," do the cruise lines say how much the included gratuity is and how its distributed?

Edited by 1985rz1

12 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Which cruise lines that don't claim "all inclusive" does this now? In the case of "all inclusive," do the cruise lines say how much the included gratuity is and how its distributed?

This thread is not about other cruise lines.