Did anyone go to Alaska in April -- Questions

Italy52

We are doing a Carnival Spirit 14 day cruise next year with the sailing date of April 23-May 7, 2024.  Did anyone do an early season cruise this year?  If so, I have a few questions for you.

We were on Solstice May 3-12 sailed from Vancouver, ending in Seattle.

Weather was unseasonably warm in Vancouver; and  the weather in Alaska was dry, mild (high 40's morning to high 50's to about 60 at the warmest part of the day. 

Some raindrops in Ketchikan, but literally just drops.  We had rain overnight once.

Glacier visit was clear, bright and cold.  I wore my fleece layers, windbreaker, hat and wool gloves, hiking boots and wool merino socks and I was fine outside viewing the glacier.  Still lots of snow in the mountains to be seen.

Smoothest sailing (wave action) we have ever been on.

Wished that we had brought at least some warmer weather clothes - even a 3/4 sleeve casual top, or even a pair of capris.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate them.  We will be cruising 4/23/24-5/7/24 on Carnival.  We don't usually sail with this cruise line but it is offering a unique itinerary and we were attracted to it.  A long time CC poster once said that she liked Carnival in Alaska and people should give it a try --- well "Budget Queen," I think we will in 2024. 

I have searched and asked on the Carnival board if anyone could provide me with excursion information and came up with a fat goose egg.  Can anyone who cruised on any cruise line in early season tell me if your cruise ship offered excursions or if you found independent vendors that were operating?  On the Carnival website I found a few excursions posted but not much at this point. 

@SightCRRthanks for your post, I am trying to check every resource available (even YouTube).

• Like 1

There are many advantages to cruising in Alaska early in the season.  We were on the Sapphire Princess April 28 - May 10.  We had clear, calm cool weather except for rain at night a couple of times.  We didn’t have any fog.  We saw whales many times, including orcas and humpbacks in ISP.  We saw 2 bears along the shoreline, many eagles, porpoises, and sea otters. The naturalist said that the glaciers are the most beautiful early in the season, before they turn black on top.  There were very few other ships in the ports, which was nice!  
We took ship excursions, and did our own thing a few times.  There were local tour guides set up eager to work in every port.  The weather rarely got above 50, but we were prepared.  
We had a wonderful trip!

• Like 1

@2206, thank you for the great information, I appreciate it.  Would you mind sharing with me your ship tour names, it would help me get a feel for what vendors might be doing things. Glad you had a wonderful trip.

Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fishermen Boat Tour - https://alaskacrabtour.com/    Highly recommend

Juneau - we just took the "Blue Bus" to Mendenhall Glacier and walked to Nugget Falls

Icy Strait Point - Glacier Winds Whale Watching Tour. 

https://www.g-wind.com/ 

Highly recommend this tour.  We saw whales, seals, Dall's Porpoises, bears on the shoreline, eagles and puffins (every whale watch is different, so you could see more wildlife, or fewer depending on the day - no guarantees)

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Thanks 1

This was our second time cruising Alaska.  In Skagway we took the train the first time.  This trip we did the Princess excursion “To the Klondike Summit” in a mini bus.  It was $100 cheaper pp, and the guide said 10 miles shorter than the train ride.  $50.  Well worth it!

In ISP we did “Whales and Wildlife” through the cruise line.  $179.  The boat was comfortable and spacious.  Loved it!  Lots of whales, sea otters, etc.  The boat is heated, with big windows, and lots of outdoor viewing spots.  ISP is wonderful.  
We loved the Glacier viewing days on the ship.  
In Juneau we did whale watching the first time with Harv and Marv.  Excellent tour, but it might be too cold because their boat was open.  This time we just walked around the port area.  We have done Mendenhall Glacier in the past.  Great excursion.  
Ketchican - We did the Duck tour the first time.  $$$.  This time we walked around.  

• Thanks 1

@Ferry_Watcher, thanks.  Bering Sea Crab Fishermen is a great excursion and we will probably redo that one again.  In Juneau, my favorite independent whale watching vendor won't be operating when we are there so I will probably see if my back up choice will work.  And, of course, when going to ISP we always use Glacier Wind for another whale watching tour --- I just don't know if they will be operational when we stop there.  Once Teresa posts her 20204 schedule I will have a better idea if it is a "go" or not.

• Like 1

@2206, thanks for the excursion information, I appreciate it.  Love hearing about everyone's excursions as it gives me some hope that although independent vendors might not be available, it looks like we can find cruise line shore excursions. 

Glacier viewing as well as a good whale watching tour is always the highlight of our cruises.

We were on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam April 30th to May 7th.  Seas were the calmest I've ever experienced on numerous trips to Alaska.  We did the self guided jeep trip in Juneau, and although it rained, we still had a great time.  Staff were very helpful.  We did the White Pass and Yukon Explorer trip in Skagway.  It was a true adventure.  Leaves were not on the trees yet so the views out the train cars were fantastic, and to see all the snow.  Magnificent photo stops, and although quite windy and some blowing snow it was comfortable  Glacier Bay was epic.  It was a clear and calm day. Ketchikan was a bit drizzly but that was our shopping day.  At all stops most of the stores were open

So would I do early season again? Absolutely