Are State run museums free to people over 65 ?

Ex-Airbalancer

I have a couple of articles that State run museums are free to people of 65 

Over 18 / under 65? Pretend you're Canadian

For arcane political reasons, most national and state-run museums in Italy (any place with an official title that includes Museo Statale or Museo Nazionale) are either free or offer reduced admission to anyone under 18 or over 60 or 65...WITH THE EXCEPTION OF AMERICANS. No, this is not anti-Americanism run amok. There's a perfectly good explanation. (Warning: arcane political reason coming up.)

These museums and sights are free to both the callow and the distinguished is because the governments of most countries have signed a reciprocity agreement to grant one another's youths and seniors the same discounts they would get at home. The United States never signed this agreement since there are no national museums—or rather, there is only one, the Smithsonian, and it's already free. (OK, so it's not a explanation we get to be happy about, but it is a legit one.) 

That said, many ticket-takers at individual sights could care less which country issued your passport. They understand that, no matter what the nationality, students are poor and seniors are often working on a tight budget, so they don't bother enforcing the anti-Yankee provision—sort of a don't ask/don't tell policy.

If this is taken from an article, it has an air of hearsay about it....

I went to a few sources to try to find an actual policy. As usual in Italy it is about as clear as mud. One writer calls Italian policy in this regard an "impenetrable jungle of pricing policies."  🤣🤣

It would appear that around 2014 Italy stopped offering free entrance to seniors to state-owned museums and archaeological sites. However, per agreement with an EU policy, under-18s are still free (half price for 18-25) IF you are an EU citizen. I believe this is also true if your country has a reciprocity agreement with Italy, but I'm not sure where one would verify that.

There are other exceptions as well. Officially licensed guides enter free, as well as disabled persons (along with one companion) certain categories of teachers, etc.

Keep in mind, though that Italy has a huge number of museums, and only about 200 of them are state-owned. Many are city or even privately owned and run. And of course the Vatican is its own country, so Italy's national policies do not apply...

It's probably best to go with the attitude that you will have to pay for admission, but assuming you've not bought a ticket in advance, you can always ask if admission is free or reduced for seniors. I traveled for a while with a friend who was a senior and she would occasionally get a "yes it's free" or a reduced fee ticket.

For the record, here is the policy as stated on the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine hill ticket website -- no mention of a senior discount that I could find:

https://www.beniculturali.it/agevolazioni

And here is a link to an FAQ on free admissions by the "Musei Beniculturali" which I believe runs most (or at least many) national museums, including the Colosseum and Pompeii:

http://musei.beniculturali.it/faq

Thanks for your reply,

like you wrote information is all over the place 

Still getting use to seniors rate😁

When we were in  the Valencia  in Spain, a couple of weeks ago and ask for a seniors rate , they ask  for verification of our age with a passport and they said free 

Yes, there is no discount for those over 65, that was discontinued several years ago.  Also, I have found that checking whether or not you are from a county with reciprocity is spotty, some places asked for ID and others did not.   At the time of the change I assumed (or maybe I read about it, I don't remember) that the decision makers concluded that old people would go to museums and other cultural sites with or without a discount/free entrance, while younger people might not so they spent their funds encouraging them.

Edited by euro cruiser