Transfer policy

NaomiW

I would like some advice on whether people think there might be any other options for a ridiculous situation I have found myself in with our booking. We have a booking for next Jan (select fare) but we are now moving to Australia at the end of the year for work so cannot go. I phoned to try and transfer the booking to a Fjords cruise next month and were hoping to book a suite at around £4000 to make sure the booking was more expensive than our, but was told we cannot transfer as we have already transferred once (this was just after Aug 22 when the policy apparent changed, but there were lots of reports of covid quarantines etc at the time so we didnt want to risk it at that time)

I offered to pay the £100 transfer fee like we used to be able to, but was told sorry, no can do. So it seems my only option is to cancel. This means I lose about £500 which P&O wont care about but it seems absolutely ludicrous as they have loads of unsold cabins on the cruise we wanted to transfer to and they are also losing several thousand in my business because of an unflexible policy. I was hoping the woman I spoke to would be able to apply some discretion and common sense but it seems not. I've emailed customer services but given their wait times, I doubt Ill hear in time. Any ideas?

Unfortunately P&O are  somewhat intrangient on their policies - you might get lucky if you get to the right person (as a last resort try Paul Ludlow's office as they do have more flexibility)

Not sure if you cancelled whether you would be able to clain off your insurance - but worth a try.

• Like 2

I'm told it's totally not possible to bend the rules.  I cancelled an Arvia Christmas cruise earlier this year which was a.move from 30 December 2022 as I booked for Christmas 2022 instead.  I had to forfeit my £354 deposit too as the new rules wouldn't allow a.move.

It's unquestionable practice but they are sticking to it.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm told it's totally not possible to bend the rules.  I cancelled an Arvia Christmas cruise earlier this year which was a.move from 30 December 2022 as I booked for Christmas 2022 instead.  I had to forfeit my £354 deposit too as the new rules wouldn't allow a.move.

It's unquestionable practice but they are sticking to it.

How bizarre. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot. I was totally prepared to pay good money to go on a cruise that they are apparently struggling to sell but instead, computer says no, so we all lose out.. Also it will put me off booking with them again when we are back from Aus-think well look elsewhere next time

1 hour ago, david63 said:

Another way to look at is whether the increase price of the "new" cruise is more than the deposit that you could lose

Yes good point! Think we'll just go to Norfolk instead-will work out much cheaper including the lost deposit 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, david63 said:

Another way to look at is whether the increase price of the "new" cruise is more than the deposit that you could lose

In my case they'd have got over £8,500 in fares for the two cruises, but they didn't care. They got the £354 but if they'd look closely £150 of that was from them by way if apology for problems on a seacation. Id asked to.move from Arvia to Britannia so they'd still have got the money.  I notice that Britannia cruise is now way cheaper than I'd have paid as well.

I booked elsewhere for the 2023 Christmas, with Celebrity who only took £75pp deposit as well.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

Sad to read your situation Naomi and am at a loss of how you can resolve this ,just

hope someone comes up with something but doubt it.

It is fair to say this is not just a P&O policy .I had this with a cruise parking company

when I had my heart issue just weeks before my cruise .

From my hospital bed I set about cancelling things but all I got from them was ..

" We don't do refunds or transfers for any reason after 14 days of booking "

So they kept a fair chunk of money and hoped I got well soon .🤒

I just wish companies like these would do a cancellation option like some hotels I use.

OK it costs a few quid extra but much better than loosing everything.

• Like 1