$300/$50 policy - question - I thought I read something different

tbmrt

We were thinking of increasing our bar tab ($300 now) to the $300 plus $50 deal.  We also have $300 in sailor loot now.  

Is the following correct?  I don't know where, but I remember reading something about people using up their bar tab? loot? on the last day by doing something else.  Maybe I was thinking of using up sailor loot in gift shop or whatever.

The Bar Tab can be used for drinks at the bars including the Beach Club at Bimini. Drinks include Alcohol, Wine, Beer, Specialty Coffees, Fresh Pressed Juices, Non-Alcoholic Drinks made by our brilliant Bartenders. The Bar Tab can also be used for our Bottomless Brunch, Corkage Fees, and Shake for Champagne. The Bar Tab cannot be used for Happenings that include alcohol, such as, Shot for Shot, the Grog Walk, and The food of the Gods and Gram. The Bar Tab cannot be used to purchase Duty-Free Bottles of Liquor.

Also told me the sailor loot has to be used by the time we disembark.  

What are you confused about?

loot can be used on anything, shops normally close 10pm last night as they are only open in international waters. 

bar tab can only be used on drinks and it’s also best to use it up last night. If you want to buy whole bottles with bar tab you need to buy them from bars not the shop. 

most cruises come with a free $300 or $600 bar tab due to the recent offers. 
If you want to pre-pay more then for each $300 you get an extra $50 (unless you have loyalty status). Or you can just spend and the credit card is charged on last night.

• Like 1

What you are seeing in the above post is correct.  Loot is the same as OBC on other lines.  If you don't use it by the time you disembark, you lose it.  It can be used for almost anything except a My Next Virgin Voyage certificate.

Bar tab can be used for anything bought from a bar that has a charge.  It cannot be used for things like Grog Walk or Shot for Shot as those are considered activities, not beverages.  However, those activities can be paid for using loot.

Any time you purchase a $300 bar tab, there is an extra bonus amount added.  The standard is $50, but there are sometimes promotions that add $100.  Again, the bar tab and bonus are "use it or lose it."  Also, if you have loyalty status of Sea Rover, the bonus is $100, Sea Blazer gives you $125 on each $300 purchase.  If you have bar tab left over at the end of your cruise, you can choose to buy a round for your new best friends or buy a bottle of wine AT A BAR to take home.  If you purchase from duty free shop, it is charged to loot.  You must buy it at a bar to have it charged to a bar tab.

Quick version--loot can be used for anything including alcohol.  Bar tab can only be used for beverages that have a charge, whether alcoholic or not.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jon81uk said:

What are you confused about?

loot can be used on anything, shops normally close 10pm last night as they are only open in international waters. 

bar tab can only be used on drinks and it’s also best to use it up last night. If you want to buy whole bottles with bar tab you need to buy them from bars not the shop. 

most cruises come with a free $300 or $600 bar tab due to the recent offers. 
If you want to pre-pay more then for each $300 you get an extra $50 (unless you have loyalty status). Or you can just spend and the credit card is charged on last night.

This is what I remember reading:   So we can buy bottles from the bars the last night if we didn't drink up our bar tab(s)?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

What you are seeing in the above post is correct.  Loot is the same as OBC on other lines.  If you don't use it by the time you disembark, you lose it.  It can be used for almost anything except a My Next Virgin Voyage certificate.

Bar tab can be used for anything bought from a bar that has a charge.  It cannot be used for things like Grog Walk or Shot for Shot as those are considered activities, not beverages.  However, those activities can be paid for using loot.

Any time you purchase a $300 bar tab, there is an extra bonus amount added.  The standard is $50, but there are sometimes promotions that add $100.  Again, the bar tab and bonus are "use it or lose it."  Also, if you have loyalty status of Sea Rover, the bonus is $100, Sea Blazer gives you $125 on each $300 purchase.  If you have bar tab left over at the end of your cruise, you can choose to buy a round for your new best friends or buy a bottle of wine AT A BAR to take home.  If you purchase from duty free shop, it is charged to loot.  You must buy it at a bar to have it charged to a bar tab.

Quick version--loot can be used for anything including alcohol.  Bar tab can only be used for beverages that have a charge, whether alcoholic or not.

So Test Kitchen pairings would fall under bar tab?

18 minutes ago, tbmrt said:

This is what I remember reading:   So we can buy bottles from the bars the last night if we didn't drink up our bar tab(s)?  

Yes, but as you are paying bar prices you are better to not add the bar tab in the first place if you are not certain you will use up all $300 to get the bonus. 

• Like 1

Yes, but the bottle of wine that may cost you $40 at a bar on the ship may cost $12 at a liquor store at home.  Also, you need to know the laws regarding what you can bring into the country where you will be disembarking, as well as your home country (if you plan to take it elsewhere) and consider the hassle of carrying it home in your checked luggage.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tbmrt said:

So we can buy bottles from the bars the last night if we didn't drink up our bar tab(s)?  

In recent reports, people have said they couldn’t do this with spirits, only wines.  I’m guessing it’s because inventory for stocking all the bars became a mess when a bottle of vodka here and a bottle of tequila there would get sold from a bar’s stock.

Thanks for all your help.  Thinking we'll do bar tab deal since we'll probably spend quite a bit on the loot/activities.  Hubby's bar tabs will start with 2 martinis a night plus an espresso martini and 2 espressos with Bailey's each evening so $300 between us isn't going to last long. 

The espresso martinis are only like $11! I was surprised at how long our bar tab lasted- a drink with dinner, a few poolside cocktails, and evening mixed drinks every night.  

Remember it’s use it or lose it too.  We’ve seen lots of people with arms full of moet bottles on the last morning bc they couldn’t spend it all!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, _tacocat_ said:

The espresso martinis are only like $11! I was surprised at how long our bar tab lasted- a drink with dinner, a few poolside cocktails, and evening mixed drinks every night.  

Remember it’s use it or lose it too.  We’ve seen lots of people with arms full of moet bottles on the last morning bc they couldn’t spend it all!

So the Moet was bought at the bars?  Really going to go over the drink amounts later to be sure...As you said, we don't want to get in a situation where we have leftover bar tab monies. Also considering time off the ship in Puerto Plata.  

2 hours ago, tbmrt said:

So the Moet was bought at the bars?  Really going to go over the drink amounts later to be sure...As you said, we don't want to get in a situation where we have leftover bar tab monies. Also considering time off the ship in Puerto Plata.  

Yep.  The silliest one I’ve seen is at breakfast at razzle dazzle the last morning, a woman had FOUR BOTTLES of moet in her arms that she bought at red bar!!!

• Haha 1

Also keep in mind that the amount on the menu includes the gratuities.  There are cruises/ports where the cruise line is required to charge local taxes, but in general, the menu price is the price you pay--no automatic 18% added like on most other lines.

The way I look at it is that if I'm getting a $100 bonus on a bar tab purchase, that's a 25% savings IF I spend every penny.  Since we have Sea Rover status, that would be our standard bonus.  If we don't spend all of it, the savings would be less.  If I "spend" it by purchasing drinks for new friends or buying overpriced bottles to take home, would I have been better off to have just charged our drinking to our folio and ultimately credit card? Obviously, the answer depends on your drinking habits as well as the length of your cruise.

Many current bookings got a $600 bar tab free as a booking incentive.  That explains some of the bottle purchases.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tbmrt said:

I wasn't allowed to buy bottles of champagne at Sip on Scarlet in April, but I could buy bottles of wine at Wake.

• 2 months later...

So in summary, buy the $300 Bar Tab for the amount I KNOW we will consume, to take advantage of the $50 bonus.

But anything over this $350 will be at the same price, just charged to my credit card.

The only advantage to pre-buy the Bar Tab is the $50 bonus, is this correct?

Thank you!

Edited by Goobaroo
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Goobaroo said:

So in summary, buy the $300 Bar Tab for the amount I KNOW we will consume, to take advantage of the $50 bonus.

But anything over this $350 will be at the same price, just charged to my credit card.

The only advantage  to pre-buy the Bar Tab is the $50 bonus, is this correct?

Thank you!

Yes, essentially that is. correct, and either way, the posted prices on the drinks include the tip.  The other thin is that if you qualify as a Sea Rover, either by having 2 completed cruises within the specified dates or thru the status match, you will get a $100 free bar tab and your bonus on the purchased $300 bar tab will increase to $100 (instead of the standard $50).   So, as a sea rover, if I purchase one bar tab for $300, I will have $500 in bar tab!  If I purchase nothing, I'll still have the $100.  Warning--at one point, shoreside had to manually enter the extra bonus amount for sea rovers.  Check your account on line and if it isn't there, contact your TA to get it corrected.  If you didn't use a TA, enjoy waiting on line to hope they manage to do it correctly.