Temperature in the public areas on Alaska cruise

TroubleT

What is the temperature in public areas (hallways, restaurants, bars, lounges, etc.) on Alaska cruises, specifically on board of Volendam?

I understand it's not a Caribbean cruise, but still... Should I pack only heavy sweaters and tops or blouses are fine? 

Do the doors to the decks get to open very often to bring the temperature on board down?

Should I pack only close toed shoes (gym shoes, flats), because it's too cold to wear sandals in public areas? 

Thank you all for your answers and help!

Hiya.  I can speak, only, for the Eurodam.  But, from what I experienced -- the public areas were very comfortable.  The only time you felt a strong shiver, was when a person walked in, or out, of the deck 3 doors.  This was one week ago.

• Like 1

I wore long sleeve polo shirts in the Volendam public areas last month.  Sandals are fine onboard unless you are standing by the Deck 3 doors while they are opened or venture outside.  The Deck 3 doors are heavy and self-closing.  Note that there will be passengers swimming in the indoor pool as well as relaxing on loungers in their bathing.

• Like 1

I was on Koningsdam second week of May. Everywhere on the ship was always always comfortable for short sleeves or long sleeves; depends on how thin-blooded one is. Occasionally some of the doors to weather decks would be open, such as while we were in Glacier Bay. The areas around those open doors would get cold. 

I live in Colorado where we are all about layering. Layering works very well in Alaska as well. Aboard the ship, I typically wore jeans, and a long-sleeved T-shirt over a short sleeved T-shirt. If I got worm, I would just peel off the long sleeved shirt. If I was on my balcony, I would put on a fleece and that was perfect. 

I would recommend the same thing ashore. Wear a long sleeved shirt over a short sleeved shirt. Bring a rain jacket or a fleece and an umbrella and you'll be good. 

In Glacier Bay I was up on the bow for a long while. Sometimes it got windy up there and that's a whole different ball game. In the wind I wore my rain jacket over my fleece and a hat. This worked well for the cool wind. 

Have fun!

• Like 3

Save sandals for dressy night. I’m usually chilly on any trip….all ships seem to be too cold. MDR on NS was a meat locker last winter…we were in Caribbean. I couldn’t wait to leave every night we ate there. I realize crew are running around & working hard. If you have a fleece, wear it on board & keep it handy for excursions. Read weather forecast night before next port. Good walking shoes most practical if you’re into hiking, get hiking shoes. Wear on flight so you save space in bag. Enjoy cruise!

• Like 1

A lightweight pure cashmere long scarf is a great, one-time travel investment - multi-use, easy to carry, and can be used as blanket or pillows long flights. Or a MDR chill protector.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

A lightweight pure cashmere long scarf is a great, one-time travel investment - multi-use, easy to carry, and can be used as blanket or pillows long flights. Or a MDR chill protector.

I bring it on every cruise, even Caribbean! ) The temperature in MDR is adjusted for the guys in tuxedos, not for the ladies in the cocktail dresses. ))

• Like 1