Expectations on cruising to AK on NCL Sun

cajun-crazy

It will be my second cruise to AK. On our prior trip, the RCCL Radiance had a covered pool, making a solarium area. The Sun doesn’t have that. I see it does have an observation area in the front.

we have an inside cabin, so won’t have access to a private balcony. How have you enjoyed cruising to AK on the Sun? Does the pool towel stand offer blankets? Are blankets left in your cabin?  Are there other favorite areas to sit and watch scenery? I have even considered packing my own blanket, but was hoping that wouldn’t be necessary.

Yes, there is the forward lounge.  Aft is outside seating area with food at times.  Buffet is small and people tend to linger.  Seating and was breakfast and lunch items port side from buffet.  Nice central atrium.

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Yes, there is the forward lounge.  Aft is outside seating area with food at times.  Buffet is small and people tend to linger.  Seating and was breakfast and lunch items port side from buffet.  Nice central atrium.

And all the seating in that forward lounge will be "reserved" hours before your glacier-day.  Think pool lounger saving on steroids.  Prior to our trip through the inside passage, there was a presentation by the park ranger.  Half the chairs were empty but all saved for later, no place to sit for the presentation.

@cajun-crazy Was on the Sun this past May, about 2 weeks ago.

The Spinnaker Lounge/Observation on deck #12 had great views, you are able to go outside of the forward windows, a small viewing deck that wraps around.

The promenade on deck #6 wraps around the ship and had a whale surface right next to the ship while docked at Icy Strait Point

Great Outdoors is a great place to eat and watch the eagles do a flyby. The bar is very helpful to keep hydrated.  

Didn't see any blankets - the weather was very warm for Alaska, and only had a very light drizzle in Ketchikan in the morning.

1 hour ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@cajun-crazy Was on the Sun this past May, about 2 weeks ago.

The Spinnaker Lounge/Observation on deck #12 had great views, you are able to go outside of the forward windows, a small viewing deck that wraps around.

The promenade on deck #6 wraps around the ship and had a whale surface right next to the ship while docked at Icy Strait Point

Great Outdoors is a great place to eat and watch the eagles do a flyby. The bar is very helpful to keep hydrated.  

Didn't see any blankets - the weather was very warm for Alaska, and only had a very light drizzle in Ketchikan in the morning.

Just off of the cruise following you, we had more typical Alaska weather (AKA, light rain and WIND - making it super cold at times).

I lucked out - had a balcony that wrapped around the back of the ship, so had views from side and back. It was an assigned cabin, I didn't choose it - but loved it!

• Like 4

We sailed on the May 11 th, 11 night cruise. Weather for us was very good, no rain and temp. in the high 60's to mid 70's during the day. We had an ocean view cabin, and enjoyed the Promenade deck for viewing as always had lots of space, and was covered when sailing to limit some of the wind. This ship has a wrap around deck, which some ships do not have The forward facing lounge was busy, but we could always find a chair, maybe not in the very front. Outside of the forward facing lounge was an observation area, and at most times it was not crowded. Agree with other posters, no blankets.

• Like 1