Mount Vesuvius Taxis

sofa.king

We’ll be in Naples for a day and want to visit Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius. 

Does any one know if there are taxis or buses that originate from Mount Vesuvius to take you down to Naples?

I’d rather not have someone waiting for us as I’m unsure of how long we’ll want to be there.  What about bus options if you don’t book the bus from the base?

8 hours ago, sofa.king said:

We’ll be in Naples for a day and want to visit Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius. 

Does any one know if there are taxis or buses that originate from Mount Vesuvius to take you down to Naples?

I’d rather not have someone waiting for us as I’m unsure of how long we’ll want to be there.  What about bus options if you don’t book the bus from the base?

There's also a regional commuter train stop right next to one of the entrances/exits of Pompeii.  It is called the Circumvesuviana train.  You could easily ride that back into central Naples.  It's about a mile walk from  the Naples station back to your ship.  Or a short taxi ride.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

There's also a regional commuter train stop right next to one of the entrances/exits of Pompeii.  It is called the Circumvesuviana train.  You could easily ride that back into central Naples.  It's about a mile walk from  the Naples station back to your ship.  Or a short taxi ride.

Definitely understand that part @MeHeartCruising Thanks!  My concern was going up and down Vesuvio.  I'm open to flaws and suggestions on my current thinking.

Off the ship and right to the Circumvesuviana train.  40 minute ride to Pompeii to explore.

Leave Pompeii to Ercolano and take the Vesuvio Express bus.

If you are asking about getting a taxi at Naples to take you to Mt Vesuvius, the answer is yes...but it is going to be expensive since you will want that taxi to wait for the return trip.  But finding a taxi at Mt Vesuvius to bring you back to Naples is going to be very difficult.    Keep in mind that for crusiers, visits to the area "originate" primarily at the ports of Naples, Salerno, Amalfi and (tender port).   If you want a private vehicle tour of the area we would recommend you make prior arrangements (this can be done online) before your trip.  There are local tour providers who can provide you with nice vehicles, English speaking drivers/guides, etc.  Taxi drivers do not usually speak a lot of English, and are not licensed tour guides.

Also understand that Pompeii is not actually at Mt Vesuvius but rather about 15 miles distant (by road).  And yes, you can go to the base of Mt Vesuvius (where there is a National Park) and hike up to the summit.

Hank

• Thanks 1

There are no taxis at Vesuvio, pretty much however you get there is how you'll get back.

Your options are a taxi or car service, the public EAV bus from Pompei (but you'd have to go back to Pompei), or the private Vesuvio Express bus service from Ercolano Scavi.

If this is a port day visit you don't have time for the EAV bus.  Even the Vesuvio Express would be a push, but that one is possible.

Note that timed entry tickets are now required for Vesuvio, if you go on your own (taxi or EAV bus) you'd have to arranged the tickets yourself.  The Vesuvio Express service offers the option of having them get the Vesuvio tickets for you.

Vesuvio Express Transfer For the Vesuvio

EAV bus schedule:  37_POMPEI-VESUVIO_prim-est.pdf (eavsrl.it)

Vesuvio tickets:  The Great Cono | Vesuvius National Park (parconazionaledelvesuvio.it)

• Thanks 1