CORFU….Durrells Tour?

Oroya

Has anyone experienced or could recommend a Durrells filming sites tour of Corfu?  I would particularly like to be able to walk along the waterfront of the house that was used as their home in the TV series to be able to take a photograph from the water looking back at the house.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oroya said:

Has anyone experienced or could recommend a Durrells filming sites tour of Corfu?  I would particularly like to be able to walk along the waterfront of the house that was used as their home in the TV series to be able to take a photograph from the water looking back at the house.

Hello @Oroya

Thank you for your new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forumHowever, your thread was off topic there. That forum is for technical assistance in using these message boards

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Greece Ports forum where it will be on topic.The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have been there frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various message board forums. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Has anyone experienced or could recommend a Durrells filming sites tour of Corfu?

Have not done this tour, but my understanding from friends on a land trip  is that several companies offer it and there should be information and reviews online if you search for "DurrellsTour Corfu" or similar. 

With it not being a shorex, you would be able to ask if your particular photo op wish  is a definite possibility or not as more private tours usually include a degree of flexibility.

Good luck.  We loved the series-and the settings.

Edited by edinburgher

I too loved the Durrells series (books and tv show). I searched unsuccessfully for an offering the last time I was scheduled to be in Corfu, which was about 18 months ago, but I didn't find any ready-made tours being offered. I thought it was a huge oversight as I'm sure I wouldn't have been the only interested party. 😆Perhaps they have rectified this now.

At any rate, I did do some investigating about what sites could be visited if I tried to put together my own taxi tour. One problem is that the Corfiots tend to think of the "real" Durrells and where they lived (several places on the island) rather than the series, which was filmed there but did not use the actual houses, village, etc.

One house could not be viewed "up close" but you could get a glimpse of it. Another one could not be visited itself but could be viewed from a spot on the water -- perhaps the island you're thinking of. And there is one place for sure which is open to tourists, a house that Larry Durrell and his wife lived in (in real life Larry did not live with the rest of the family as he was already married).  It is called the "White House" and is today some kind of Inn or restaurant.

The village where a lot of the scenes were filmed is apparently some kind of special-access cross between a movie set and an actual reconstruction of a Greek village and, as I recall, access was very limited by the owners. It is called Danilia Village.

You can visit a few places in Corfu Town (the large town near where ships dock) where filming took place. 

Mon Repos (a stately home where I think Prince Philip was born) was used for some exterior shots of the home of the "Countess" on the series.

I just had a quick look and it does look like there is more info online now and at least one tour -- but again, that tour tends to take in the places where the "real life" Durrells lived.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Durrell tour  would be a great idea.  We took a lovely boat tour and saw the house from the water.  Highly recommend Nautilus if you can get a group together.  One of our favourite tours ever with a barbecue onboard, and lots of time to swim.

• Thanks 1