Rome: Viking Excursion Recommendation?

GCBK10905

For those who have been in Rome and done the excursions through Viking, can anyone share their experience?  We have never been to Rome so I’m finding it difficult to decide which one might be better.  Main priority is to see a lot but also not be stuck inside a bus literally the whole day. So I guess a balance of seeing many things but also getting to experience them. 😊

I’m sure both will be great.  Just looking for anyone who has went on either of them to see what your experience was like.  Thank you!

2 options we are considering:

1). Highlights of Rome & the Colosseum
Upon arrival in Rome, enjoy a panoramic drive past the city’s important ancient sites. See the Aurelian Walls, Pyramid of Cestius and Circus Maximus. Stop to visit inside the Colosseum, the most important amphitheater in the Roman world. This impressive arena could hold 80,000 spectators and hosted gladiator contests and imperial ceremonies. Later, enjoy a walking tour past the famous sites of the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. You will also have an opportunity to view the exterior of the well-preserved Pantheon, then take a stroll through the picturesque square of Piazza Navona. After lunch, continue your panoramic tour past Castel Sant’Angelo, with the picture-perfect St. Peter’s Basilica as a backdrop, before returning to your ship.

2).  Ancient Rome

During a panoramic drive, admire the Aurelian Walls, Pyramid of Cestius, Baths of Caracalla and the Circus Maximus. Walk to the Colosseum, the most important amphitheater in the Roman world, and the Arch of Constantine, the biggest and best-preserved ancient arch. See the Roman Forum, walk amid the ruins of the Forums of Nerva, Caesar and Trajan and admire the imposing Palatine Hill. Visit the National Roman Museum, housing one of the world’s most important collections of classical art in a beautiful 19th-century neo-Renaissance palace filled with sculptures, frescoes and mosaics, coins and jewels. Visit the grandest of the Roman public baths. Enjoy free time to explore on your own before returning to your ship.

You should probably also ask this on the Viking board.

Have been to Rome several times. Both do sound like they meet your needs. Keep in mind the drive from the port is 75 or so minutes, so you are locked into a fair amount of bus riding.

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You should probably also ask this on the Viking board.

Have been to Rome several times. Both do sound like they meet your needs. Keep in mind the drive from the port is 75 or so minutes, so you are locked into a fair amount of bus riding.

Thanks!  Yes - I also posted over there, too!

The first tour is more comprehensive with regard to seeing sites from all eras of Rome's history -- but most of the items are "outside views" only. (I can understand not being able to go inside St. Peters, due to the crowds, but it's a shame not to go inside the Pantheon, the most impressive part of it!)

The first tour covers a lot of ground if you're interested in ancient Rome. It's great that they take you to the National Museum and presumably the Baths of Caracalla (though they don't mention it by name and the Baths of Diocletian are much closer to the National Museum -- while not exactly preserved in their original form, they are a wonderful object lesson in how the Romans lived with and adapted the past and would also give you an opportunity to see a church designed by Michelangelo which was created out of the ruins....)

I would choose the second in a heartbeat if you are willing to skip glimpses of some iconic sites like Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona. Missing the Spanish steps, outside of Pantheon and outside of St Peters is no great loss (in my humble opinion).

20 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

The second one doesn't appear to go INSIDE the Coliseum, if that's important to you.  I sort of consider that a must-do on a first visit to Rome.  But that may be just me.  The outside is pretty impressive to see on its own.

Good catch. Always need to read those descriptions very carefully as they are often "excursion speak" for seeing a place from the outside vs. an inside visit. Sometimes they are hard to interpret!

I probably vote for number 1 just because inside the colosseum would be top priority for me.   Also, #2 appears to miss St. Peters altogether and it would be a shame to not at least see it from the outside.  However #1 has some "excursion speak"  relative to St. Peters...."with St. Peters as a backdrop"... does that mean you will see it from 1 mile away?  perhaps, but hopefully not, I would think they will get you to St. Peters square.   You may not know unless you can find someone who has been on that specific excursion.