Space Needle! Is it worth it?

queenL

I want to go to the Space Needle, not sure I want to go into the Space Needle.  I have a fear of heights.  I'm fine going up, but I was told the floor is now glass?  I don't think I could do that.  Is there any part of the floor that isn't glass, so I could see the view.  Would it even be worth the $$ to go inside?

8 hours ago, queenL said:

I want to go to the Space Needle, not sure I want to go into the Space Needle.  I have a fear of heights.  I'm fine going up, but I was told the floor is now glass?  I don't think I could do that.  Is there any part of the floor that isn't glass, so I could see the view.  Would it even be worth the $$ to go inside?

If you're afraid of heights I wouldn't recommend it, even my husband who isn't that nervous with heights wanted to come down fairly shortly after getting up there. 

For free views- head on to the Columbia Tower and take the elevator to floor 40/Sky Bridge. There's a Starbucks that's open to the public and has views of the city. That way you feel a bit more in control, and if you still think you're too high, you can leave without spending $!

• Like 4

Seattle is a city full of tremendous views, most of which don't require you to pay the $$$ needed for the likes of the Space Needle or Skyview Observatory or their ilk.  With the cash needed for just one person to go up in the Space Needle, you could hire an Uber to take you to several spots where the views are great (they even include the Space Needle!)  

Google these destinations, all reachable on foot, by public transportation, or of course by cab or Uber (or rental car.)

- Kerry Park, for the "Frasier" view of the Space Needle and downtown skyline.

- Seacrest Park in West Seattle (where the West Seattle Water Taxi docks) for the skyline, Space Needle, passing ferries and ships.

- Alki Beach ("al-Kai") for views of downtown, passing ferries and ships, the Olympic mountains, and maybe seals or the occasional orca.

- Gasworks Park at the north end of Lake Union for views of the Space Needle, downtown skyline, houseboats, floatplanes coming and going, and sailboats on the lake.

- Any ferry departing downtown for Bainbridge Island or Bremerton.  

... and of course if you're cruising from Seattle, all the views you'll get from the ship as you depart.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

If you have a fear of heights, then the space needle may not be the best choice for you.  This is a very recent Youtube video that you might find very helpful.

Yes, this is very helpful!  Hard pass on the level with the revolving floor!  🙂 but I think I would be fine going up.  Not sure the views appear to be worth the $$ but if its not crowded, I may go up just for the experience.

• Like 1

I see you're from Atlanta. That means flying in from the east coast. Don't discount the jet lag. My wife and I were up at the crack of dawn due to the time difference. We ate an early breakfast and went to the needle. No lines, and they had just opened. We also explored the Chihuly museum next door, before returning to our hotel to get our luggage and head to the port.

personally as a Seattle native I would say no, it isnt worth the time or money.

One of the best views in Seattle is mentioned above, a walk on ferry ride to Bremerton or Winslow.  If it is a clear day you will see the mountains, enjoy the water.  If lucky you might spot Orca or Harbor Seals.  You can join all the folks who walk around the decks or sit inside.  Time your journey for sunrise or sunset.  The ferries are very large, you should feel tight at home

The ferry dock is just south of the Pier 66 cruise dock

Gardyloos other suggestions are all excellent

The Seattle Center is worth visiting for the Glass Garden and MoPOP.  There are also concert, opera, and theatre  venues on the grounds.

Get a two day pass for Hop On Hop Off.  It's great mode of transportation to get you to all the different sights.  Also, make sure to stop into Ye Ole Curiosity Shoppe.  It's on the end of a pier ( I thinks it's next to Fishermans Landing Restaurant).  Look around for the Mummy(s).

21 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I see you're from Atlanta. That means flying in from the east coast. Don't discount the jet lag. My wife and I were up at the crack of dawn due to the time difference. We ate an early breakfast and went to the needle. No lines, and they had just opened. We also explored the Chihuly museum next door, before returning to our hotel to get our luggage and head to the port.

Along the same lines, here's a very enjoyable way to combine some terrific scenery, fresh air, and breakfast.  This is good on weekends only due to the cafe's opening hours.

If your body clocks are still on eastern time, head down to Pier 50, next to the state ferry terminal, and take the West Seattle Water Taxi across Elliott Bay to the dock at Seacrest Park, on the shore of West Seattle facing the downtown skyline.  The water taxi costs $5 - $6 depending on if you have an Orca transit card or not, and takes around 10 - 15 minutes to cross the bay.

On weekend mornings, the Marination Ma Kai cafe right on the pier opens at 9 AM.  This is a terrific Hawaiian/Korean cafe featuring various "fusion" dishes like Spam musubi, Kalbi sliders, Loco Moco (Hawaiian beef/rice/egg dish) and other quite yummy offerings.  The cafe has a huge outdoor deck with incredible views over the water to the city, and they make a terrific Bloody Mary if you're in the mood for an "adult beverage," as they say.

You can walk off the carbs (or the alcohol) along the West Seattle waterfront.  For the ambitious, there's a roughly 2-mile level path around Duwamish Head to Alki Beach, with our own wee Statue of Liberty and terrific views.  You can rent bikes from the dock (or kayaks) or there's a free shuttle bus that generally meets the water taxi.  Here's a map - https://goo.gl/maps/cJqAdibqBaoDtSdL9

This is a low-cost, high value way to spend a fun morning.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The view from Seacrest Park is almost considered iconic.  It is where many photographers go during electric storms, fireworks and dazzling sunrise.

I notice the original video posted above did NOT include shots from the elevator ride.  It is full exposure, on the side of the building looking out.

On 6/10/2023 at 7:22 PM, queenL said:

I have a fear of heights, but I found the Space Needle doable for me last week. The outdoor area has very high glass walls which I found reassuring, and a solid floor. It was only on part of the indoor revolving area where there was some glass see through flooring. Needless to say, I didn’t stand or go near that part of the floor.

My one big tip if you or anyone else ends up deciding to go - bring binoculars! They greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the view (and as an added bonus allowed me to stand back from the outer walls a bit).

• image.thumb.jpeg.d1f4433d4adf9f931a95e9fb4c813592.jpegUgh not sure why upside down but hubs and daughter on the glass floor of space needle. Hubs not fond of heights but he managed with coaxing. F59E49F7-3A02-4152-BCCA-DEBA0A71B0B3.thumb.jpeg.cda09fcdc58fd3eba51da9ff2b0978c2.jpegthe view from Gasworks park is pretty amazing too. Brig a picnic lunch or snacks to enjoy the view, people/boat/plane watch.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this.  If you decide to go up the Space Needle, and have time...they sell a combo ticket to the Space Needle and visit to Chihuly Glass Museum.  They are next to each other.  Took my wife there on her birthday, very enjoyable and amazing.  The SN ticket is timed.

2 hours ago, Cruzbw said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned this.  If you decide to go up the Space Needle, and have time...they sell a combo ticket to the Space Needle and visit to Chihuly Glass Museum.  They are next to each other.  Took my wife there on her birthday, very enjoyable and amazing.  The SN ticket is timed.

Great call. We did the combo ticket last week and I loved the Chihuly Garden. This morning I was just looking over the Chihuly pics we took, and was impressed all over again!

In case anyone has a child, there is a fantastic free playground next to the Space Needle and Chihuly Garden. My daughter loved it so much, we went before and after our cruise!