Nieuw Amsterdam daily activities on 2023 Alaskan cruise

motravelerken

Looking forward to our upcoming July 2023 Nieuw Amsterdam Northbound (Vancouver to Whittier) Alaskan cruise. I was curious about the daily activities onboard the ship as we have essentially 3 days at sea. As I peruse my Navigator app that is now working, I go to Experiences-Daily Program and pick the day. I am assuming this is where our daily activities will show up once we get closer to our cruise date (or maybe even not until the days of our cruise). Right now I see our excursions on there, our dinner reservations, and I do see "Afternoon Tea is Served" at 3 pm. But not much else is there. What types of activities can we expect on a daily basis? We have 8 people and most of us are fairly active even though I will be fine just sitting around reading a book and I am hoping there will be plenty of interesting sights as we cruise the "Inside Passage", Glacier Bay, and the College Fjord. I see a cruise critic article that shows specific activities on the Nieuw Amsterdam and lists America's Test Kitchen classes (that would be cool), Arts and Crafts, Afternoon Musical Concerts, Beer Tasting, Wine Tasting, Trivia, Onboard Lectures, etc. Is this all accurate? Just trying to get an idea and a preview of what will be available and I am sure that boat is sailing now so just curious as to what is happening on there now (or what has happened on there in the past) and what we have to look forward to. Very much looking forward to our first sailing with Holland America. We are in our 50's but want some activities on our days at sea. 

• Like 1

We had our first HAL cruise on the NA to Alaska on April 30th, and are in out late 50s.  Yes there was more than enough activities to do.  Test Kitchen was not running, and due to some contract issue or something, Lincoln Center was not operating.  There were lots of daytime activities, starting quite early in the morning with line dancing, all sorts of craft/art classes, lectures and so on.  You will not suffer from lack of activities on sea days.  Decent band in BB Kings, also other live entertainment.

Compared to other lines I was more than satisfied, but things did seem to drop of early before midnight.  Found service was excellent, crew fantastic, food was good. 

You will see just weeks before departure more and more will be added to the app, so no worries.  Yes we will cruise HAL again, already booked another cruise.  Will also say our day in Glacier Bay was epic.  Enjoy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBill923 said:

We are doing Southbound Sept 3rd. When are main show times and when are set MDR dining times? Thanks for the info. 

• Early Dining is at 5:00 PM on Deck 3  Second seating on Deck 3 should be 7:30 PM but I am not certain since I was early dining.
  • Open (Anytime) Dining is 5:00 - 9:00 PM on Deck 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Crew News said:

Hello. Given that there are four itineraries (Seattle R/T, Vancouver R/T, Whittier southbound, Vancouver northbound) - is it true that the gala nights are 2 and 5 on all? Or does it vary based on the itinerary?

2 hours ago, Vandelay Inc said:

Hello. Given that there are four itineraries (Seattle R/T, Vancouver R/T, Whittier southbound, Vancouver northbound) - is it true that the gala nights are 2 and 5 on all? Or does it vary based on the itinerary?

After reviewing the Southbound itinerary, I think Gala Nights will be 02 and 04.