Strikes Affecting European Travel

Guest 4-2-N-8

Guest 4-2-N-8

Has anyone been impacted by the recent and forthcoming Italian air transport industry strikes?

French national strikes?

UK strikes at Heathrow?

Edited by 4-2-N-8

It is a case of needing to stay alert….Not something new but definitely seems more world wide and prevalent at the moment. 

I also think because of the frequency of disputes at present in Europe it is getting less media attention meaning you need to be more alert as unless you search you may not know…

Guest 4-2-N-8

Italy has already had two days of air transport strikes in May and June. Two more forecast through July. Undoubtedly, at least the unions state, others to follow.

These already caused canceled U.S. flights on the days affected.

Plan accordingly. 

We were impacted by the ITA strike in May while in Sicily on a land trip. We had to cut our vacation short by a day to get back to Rome for our Delta flight to JFK (which was not impacted). Many people were not so fortunate with changing flights and were stuck at the Catania airport.

Guest 4-2-N-8
38 minutes ago, MustBCruzn said:

We were impacted by the ITA strike in May while in Sicily on a land trip. We had to cut our vacation short by a day to get back to Rome for our Delta flight to JFK (which was not impacted). Many people were not so fortunate with changing flights and were stuck at the Catania airport.

Precisely.

I hate to have to do so, but I've booked two different R/T flights on different dates/airlines to (help) ensure I make it to the ship.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

We have been to Italy 5 times and 3 of those times there was a 1 day strike.  The most disruptive to our plan was a strike of the public transit workers.  So no buses or trains were operating.  We had booked a car to take us from the port to our hotel in Rome and the car was there but the traffic was horrendous.  Workers who would normally take a train or bus to work had to drive or take a cab to get to work.  The trip took just over 3.5 hours.

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, jelayne said:

We have been to Italy 5 times and 3 of those times there was a 1 day strike.  The most disruptive to our plan was a strike of the public transit workers.  So no buses or trains were operating.  We had booked a car to take us from the port to our hotel in Rome and the car was there but the traffic was horrendous.  Workers who would normally take a train or bus to work had to drive or take a cab to get to work.  The trip took just over 3.5 hours.

Understood. I lived in Europe for many years.

I think this summer is especially hard hit in Italy, what with waiting years for an air transport sector union agreement, and now post pandemic rush of tourists straining their efforts.

France has their own turmoil from Macron's retirement age increase, and Heathrow is has its own issues as of late.

I took the route of having two completely different dates/airlines to use for R/T flights.

Must add ample time for delays.

10 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Has anyone been impacted by the recent and forthcoming Italian air transport industry strikes?

French national strikes?

UK strikes at Heathrow?

You are selling the UK short - currently Security at Heathrow, Border Force at various Ports/Airports and Rail Strikes. All ongoing disputes - my advice is don't gamble on short connecting times and always arrive a day ahead 

• Like 1