Patagonian Shores & Chilean Fjords

OneSixtyToOne

Friends of mine have been sailing around South America in a J46 sailboat, and I would say the weather in Spring there looked to be cool and damp. The scenery is absolutely spectacular, with incredibly remote ports home to some very warm people - it's definitely rugged!

Kevin

On 6/12/2023 at 12:25 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

We just booked a fantastic deal on the Patagonian Shores & Chilean Fjords cruise for this October on the Octantis.

Looking for feedback from anyone who has taken this or similar itinerary. Weather? Clothing? Excursions? Ship review? 

So excited for you!  Can't help you with the specific questions, but will be watching as others weigh in, since this particular itinerary is at the very top of our list.  We've been up and down the other side of South America a couple of times over the years, but never this coast/the Chilean fjords.  Unfortunately, we couldn't take advantage of this offer, which is probably one of the lowest prices/best combination of add-ons that we're likely to see in awhile.  I hope you'll have the time to post occasionally (or frequently) as you go!

• Like 1

I spent two nights in Castro and three nights in Punta Arenas during my six-week trip to South America in 2000. Neither is that interesting by itself as a port of call. The selling points for your cruise are the outstanding scenery between those ports and the views in and around Ushuaia. You’ll have a great trip!

We also took advantage of the Viking offer and booked the Patagonian Shores and Chilean Fjords cruise departing Santiago on October 28th on Viking Polaris.  We have been hoping to get some information about the itinerary from cruisers who have experienced this trip but have not been too successful.  There is a limited posting under Roll Calls, Viking Ocean, Viking Polaris.  

this maybe a new itinerary for the Polaris....the Ocean Ships that do South America can't get into the nooks and crannies.  On the polaris you should get outstanding opportunities in the fjords and to watch birds, whales....I hope you have a great naturalist.  We loved our South American Cruise on the Jupiter and I think this will be much better for adventure!

1 hour ago, deec said:

this maybe a new itinerary for the Polaris....the Ocean Ships that do South America can't get into the nooks and crannies.  On the polaris you should get outstanding opportunities in the fjords and to watch birds, whales....I hope you have a great naturalist.  We loved our South American Cruise on the Jupiter and I think this will be much better for adventure!

These are basically repositioning cruises for the Octantis and Polaris and they move between northern and southern hemispheres for the season. It's also a leg of the Longitudinal World Cruise. I believe this itinerary has been offered since last year.