Celebrity Edge Retreat with a baby?

JustAPilot

On our last Constellation cruise there was a toddler in the Retreat. They tended to eat in Luminae at less busy times. The staff were wonderful with them. One of the assistant waiters would take him for a little walk out to the entry way of the restaurant when she wasn’t occupied by other tables which gave the parents a nice break to actually eat. 

I think you will find the crew to be very accommodating and being in the Retreat means crew have just a little more time they can spend with passengers. 

• Like 2

Do not hesitate or think twice about doing it - you will all have a great time and the retreat staff will be beyond helpful. 

We took our twins on their first cruise in 2019 when they were 9 months old (our daughter started crawling for the first time on the ship) - we were in Sky Suite on the Equinox. Since then, we've also gone on the Beyond TA when they were 3.5 and stayed in a Sky Suite/Retreat. And we are going on the Edge in Nov and Beyond again next June, all in Sky Suites.

Going with a Sky Suite is helpful purely from a space perspective in your cabin as the pack n play wont overtake the entire room. The ship will provide a pack n play as well as sheets but you should also bring your own. Our kids were on formula and we had a ton of bottles/formula to deal with -  the butler was so helpful in making sure we had water and everything we needed in the cabin to help with that. Having a bathtub was also way easier than a shower when it came to bathing them

The Luminae staff is incredible - they would make the twins their own meals of smashed up peas and other food that they were able to eat at the time. We would also bring the kids in the strollers and then fold it up when we got to the seat. The Luminae staff always had the high chairs waiting for us when we arrived and always got the kids food out first so they didnt get fussy. In Luminae we always had the same table and waiter so the kids really bonded with them and they could predict anything they would want.

On the Equinox, we brought a small blow up pool that we put out on the Lawn Club and the staff would bring a hose over to fill it up for us. Babies in diapers aren't allowed in the main pools so this was a great alternative. The sky suite balcony was also big enough for us to put it out there which we did on occasion and the kids loved it. 

The staff at the Retreat are amazing - on our first day on the Beyond, our daughter left her Elmo doll and the staff not only saved it but tracked us down to return. We could not have been more grateful and it really made her day when they gave it to her. 

Stroller wise, I would suggest going with a small fold up one to save space (we have the GB Pockit and love it). We put them in there all the time and roam around the ship. Edge class is very stroller friendly with all the ramps on the resort deck. The twins loved just sitting back and taking in all the sights around the ship.

If you are interested, you can see some of our stories with traveling with them on the IG - @twodadsjourney 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 4:02 AM, docsneeze said:

We are presently on Apex staying in the retreat with a 5 year old.  Having cruised for 10 days so far, we have had a great experience.   The staff at Luminae become well acquainted with your family and take extra steps to accommodate your needs.  They serve the children early and put us in a pleasant but relatively inconspicuous area of the dining room.  There is only one or two other children, both infants probably similar to your child in the retreat on this sailing.  No issues we have seen at any time.

We had one or two days in which our child became slightly restless due to length of meals but we time it for him to go to the Kids Club at 7 pm and then finish our meals.  He loves the Camp at Sea club here so can't wait to go.  We quickly and quietly take him out of the restaurant way before his "playfulness" becomes disruptive.

The other guests seem to enjoy having our son around although I am sure there are a few who don't.  Nevertheless, the Luminae experience has been very good.

Our butler, Gwen, has been very helpful.  She went out of her way to get children's drawing materials, snacks, and other things to accommodate our 5 y/o.  We wish we had similar services available when our son was an infant on previous cruises.  All of the wait staff have gotten to know our son and have made it pleasant for everyone in the setting of a largely adult crowd.

As mentioned previously, the kids club is great and was actually preferred by our son relative to a Disney cruise we took one month ago.  There are very few families but everyone seems to watch out for each other.  We did not use the retreat much as our son wanted to stay in the kids club but it was a nice area to relax and read or whatever.  We had a trip to Iceland so did not experience Retreat pool but thought it was nice that Celebrity extended family hours from 4 to 11 in the evenings.  Only saw one family in the pool ever and they were enjoying themselves without being disruptive.

Ship is beautiful, food is very good, and the crew has been excellent.  We also had concerns about taking our child on Celebrity after reading some of the comments on these boards.  Thankfully, we did not experience any negativity.  Our son was well accepted by almost everyone, fellow cruisers and staff. 

I think you and your family will have a wonderful time.  Enjoy.

Not to be Ot, but we’re going on the Apex in August with an almost 4 and almost 5 year old. How many kids would you guess were on board? Was the kids club very noisy? My kids get very overwhelmed on other cruise lines when we would drop them off and they had the music blaring and kids running around, they’d just get too freaked out to stay. I’m sort of hoping if it’s fewer kids, it’ll be a calmer environment and maybe they’ll actually like it. 

• Like 1

For our June sailing to Iceland and Ireland, there were only about 10 children on Board.  There were 6 counselors in the Kids Club, Camp at Sea, and there was a lot of interaction between the kids and the counselors.  The club itself was on the 3rd deck and fairly quiet with games and crafts activities.  There were some video activities but mostly the kids played with each other.  Our 5 year old loved it! 

In contrast, we were on the Disney cruise 1 month prior and our little guy hated it due to the craziness and overwhelming chaos of kids running around.  We felt the counselors were glorified babysitters and did not interact as much with the kids.

We chose Celebrity for the same reasons you did and were delighted with everything.  The environment is much calmer but definitely not boring.  Our 5 y/o son was begging to go to the kids club all the time as did the other kids on the ship.  Jimena is the club leader and she was wonderful.  Not to sound selfish, but it also allowed my wife and I to relax knowing he was happy in the club.  

Sorry for the long response but as parents with young children, we need to help each other in making sure our families are happy.  Hope you have a great trip!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, docsneeze said:

We chose Celebrity for the same reasons you did and were delighted with everything.  The environment is much calmer but definitely not boring.  Our 5 y/o son was begging to go to the kids club all the time as did the other kids on the ship.  Jimena is the club leader and she was wonderful.  Not to sound selfish, but it also allowed my wife and I to relax knowing he was happy in the club.  

Sorry for the long response but as parents with young children, we need to help each other in making sure our families are happy.  Hope you have a great trip!!

This matches our Camp at Sea experience on Apex in Spring 2023.  The staffing to child ratio is very favorable, and they were engaged and personable.  The family events (e.g., camp out with dessert, bingo with kid friendly prizes, etc.) were well attended and fun.  Retreat staff and all of the crew from the Captain to senior staff to onboard entertainers to pool attendants provided a unique experience for toddler and parents.  Really can't be replicated. 

• Like 1

Glad you mentioned the rest of the crew as we found them very interactive with our little guy.  In fact, the Captain had his family on our cruise and his 9 y/o daughter and wife participated in the kids club activities despite his child's limited English knowledge (they are from Crete).  What better way to reach out to families then to have to the Captain's wonderful family as a welcoming presence!

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 6:32 PM, cruiserchuck said:

No, it does not.  I was in a cabin next to an infant on a Celebrity cruise many years ago, and I could not enjoy my balcony due to the crying from the infant.  

On my next Celebrity cruise, there was an infant next door.  I went to the reception right after heading the crying, and convinced them to move me.  The cruise was not very full, so I do not know what would have happened if there were not a lot of vacant cabins.

I hear you! On our first cruise in RC in 2001 our next door neighbors had a baby who started crying at 5:30 am and didn’t stop. We didn’t cruise again for 12 years! It was that bad. I love children, especially babies, some parents, not so much!!! 

• Like 2

We sailed with a 13 month old in 2016 and a 2.5 year old in 2019. They did offer us a pack and play. I didn’t ask but learned later they may have diaper pails onboard. With the 13 month old, he still was taking a night bottle and I washed them in the sink. It was a great cruise and he loved it, my daughter loved hers at 2.5 also. 

there are no diapers allowed in the pools. Pre-COVID the kids club offered toys for checkout, and you could go play with your child in an infant area. 

• Like 1