Dec/Jan Weather Caribbean

Auntiejo

We've taken many Mexico cruises over the years over Christmas/New Years and know the drill with the beginning and end of the cruise not being great weather for the most part. We are booked on the Enchanted this Dec/Jan in the Caribbean and I'm curious what to expect as far as weather. Of course nothing is guaranteed and weather patterns are so unpredictable, but in general - if you've been to the Caribbean in the middle of winter, how's the weather been? Particularly on sea days at the start and end of the cruise?

1 hour ago, Auntiejo said:

We've taken many Mexico cruises over the years over Christmas/New Years and know the drill with the beginning and end of the cruise not being great weather for the most part. We are booked on the Enchanted this Dec/Jan in the Caribbean and I'm curious what to expect as far as weather. Of course nothing is guaranteed and weather patterns are so unpredictable, but in general - if you've been to the Caribbean in the middle of winter, how's the weather been? Particularly on sea days at the start and end of the cruise?

I've done a few Caribbean cruises in December and January.  For the most part, the high temperatures are ideal - upper 70s to low 80s, mid-80s for places south of St. Lucia.  Lows will mostly be in the 70s.  No hurricanes, of course, but there can be the occasional stiff breeze or two that can cause minor problems.  I have heard The Bahamas can be cooler, but I haven't been there.

Miami and Port Everglades will be a bit cooler. Galveston can be a lot cooler - and foggy.

It never gets cold in the Caribbean.  It's always tropical.  The winds can be problem.  If they go over 30 mph, ships won't attempt to dock or while docked, won't attempt to leave.  Your ship could miss ports or be late to ports because of this.  

Prefect time to take a Caribbean cruise. Temps mights be a little cool, but it never gets cold. You’ll be able to walk around the ports without being covered in sweat. If the cruise includes a stop at a private island or beach resort, you’ll be comfortable lounging around the various beaches. Unless you have kids, try not to go during the winter break that schools have. 

It's the best time of year to travel in the Caribbean. Although I bring a light jacket, I only use it on the ship with their drafty AC.

It might be a little cool at Princess Cays but still allows for a nice day by the beach.  

The only downside is the days are shorter, but still longer than anywhere in North America - especially the more northerly latitudes.  When we travel from the Toronto area to SW FL at end of December, we automatically get >1 hr longer daylight.  That does slowly decline until around March 21 when length of daylight is basically equal in both locations.

• Haha 1

We cruise out of Barbados in January or February, carribean shirts and shorts all say. 

Weather perfect but it does tend to sometimes rain very heavily for 30 minutes or so.

They call it liquid sunshine. 
We are from the UK so anything above 20 deg C is hot😂

Edited by 1160451