Are Americans welcome?

joat

My husband and I are retired and live in Mexico (not a rich gringo couple though).  No cruises originate anywhere in Mexico, so we have to fly to join a cruise (preferably not from the US).

When we can afford it, my husband and I normally cruise with HAL.  Our second choice has been Celebrity.  However, Fred. Olsen has some itineraries we find very interesting and some of the ships are former HAL ships that we know and like.   BUT we have concerns.  I have tried to find answers online to no avail.

As Americans, would passengers and crew treat us as well as British passengers?  (I know many reviews have said that some Italian lines treat non-Italians poorly and are not well accepted by passengers.)

One online reviewer of Fred. Olsen line says it is 'a very British line'.  What does that mean?

Edited by joat

We have met several people from the US and Canada on Fred Olsen cruises and everyone told us that they were enjoying the experience. Nobody mentioned being treated differently from the majority of the passengers. I think that the comment about being a ‘very British line’ will refer to several different aspects;

The majority of the passengers will be British so you will hear English being spoken with many different regional accents.

Entertainment will be geared to British tastes so comedians will have jokes that non-Brits might not understand and the production shows will also have references that may not be familiar.

Quizzes and musical choices will have a British bias.

There is a ‘hostess tray’ in your cabin with a kettle plus tea bags, coffee sachets, sugar, milk and mugs.

Food options will favour British tastes with things like back bacon, baked beans, roast dinners, Yorkshire puddings, curries, malt vinegar etc, etc always available.

Passengers and crew members tend to be a bit more reserved in their interactions.

Lots of passengers will dress formally on the designated nights.

Having said all his, we have sailed on many US and European cruise lines where we have found the cultural differences have enhanced our experience.

I absolutely agree that FO has many fabulous and diverse itineraries. I am particularly excited that the Grand Voyage around Africa is now being offered in segments and would jump at the chance of doing the middle section if our health issues improve.

I hope this helps.

• Like 3

Izzwizzy has summed up my thoughts.

We have just come off a Princess Cruise 3000 Americans and 325 British.

Personally I thought the staff treat us with a little more respect as we noticed the Americans seemed to be very abrupt with the Staff.

Not many please and thank you’s from them.

Also, and a point made above, on Fred passengers adhere to the stipulated dress code. The majority of Americans on the Princess cruise to be honest did not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1160451 said:

on Fred passengers adhere to the stipulated dress code

Sorry to hijack the thread but what is the stipulated Dress code on Fred Olsen? I am onboard July 19th and want to be sure to bring the correct things with me.

14 hours ago, joat said:

As Americans, would passengers and crew treat us as well as British passengers?  (I know many reviews have said that some Italian lines treat non-Italians poorly and are not well accepted by passengers.)

The crew will always treat you well. As for the english passengers you will be treated just fine we are allies after all. That is provided you don't act like or go round think your better than us. Don't know what you would make of the english bingo though. We do play it differently. And if you don't do drinks package it is all in pounds. on your card prices probably similar.

To answer your question about the dress code, I found this information on the FO website:

The dress code for Fred. Olsen cruises is as follows1234:

·         Daytime: Shorts and a T-shirt or polo shirt while cruising in sunny climes, and a pair of light-weight trousers and a sweater or jacket for cooler daytime temperatures.

·         Smart casual evening: Tailored trouser suits and stylish dresses to casual separates and summer dresses. Men can wear a jacket and or a shirt and tie, while ladies are asked to dress smartly.

·         Formal evening: Most men opt to wear either a dinner jacket, or dark suit and tie. Ladies can wear an elegant dress, or casual separates (such as tailored trousers).

·         Trainers, shorts, and vests are not allowed in the restaurant at all times.

Depending on the length of your cruise holiday there will be one or more formal evenings whilst you are on board. This is your chance to add glitz and glamour to your dining experience.

Most men opt to wear either a dinner jacket, or dark suit and tie. Ladies are often seen looking fabulous in anything from dresses to gowns, or a skirt or trousers with a sparkly top.

All Fred. Olsen cruise ships feature a casual dining experience for those guests who do not wish to join the formal evenings. Dress code for these restaurants is smart casual every evening. These restaurants are The View Restaurant (Bolette and Borealis) and Palms Café (Balmoral)

The exact number of formal nights will be highlighted on your cruise ticket. Below is a guide to the number of formal nights you can expect to enjoy on cruises of various durations.

3 nights or less 

Smart casual throughout

3 - 4 nights

Captain's Welcome Party, but no formal nights

5 - 6 nights

Captain's Welcome Party + 1x formal night

7- 12 nights

Captain's Welcome Party + 2x formal nights

13- 20 nights

Captain's Welcome Party + 3x formal nights

22 nights +

Captain's Welcome Party + 1x formal night each week

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 1:27 AM, ace2542 said:

provided you don't act like or go round think your better than us

Good point.  Over the decades of living and traveling around the world we have found far too many Americans to whom the term 'ugly American' truly does apply.

But that can apply to many.  It  depends on the individual. 

We have a long-time friend who works on a cruise ship and is really not happy with the current assignment.  Too many seem to think they are 'special' and should be treated so.  Makes his and his husband's work so march harder.  Crew on ships have a hard enough job without attitude.

We always try to remember Captain Kangaroo's gentle words 'Please' and 'Thank you'.

On 6/23/2023 at 3:56 AM, Izzywiz said:

question about the dress code

OR one can choose to dine elsewhere than on the main dining room on those evenings.  No problem.  Easy-peasy solution 😉

On 6/22/2023 at 11:51 AM, Izzywiz said:

Food options will favour British tastes with things like back bacon, baked beans, roast dinners, Yorkshire puddings, curries, malt vinegar etc, etc always available.

Sound wonderful.  Back bacon is impossible to find where we live and it is delicious.  And oh, a good Yorkshire pudding is a delight. 

• 1 month later...

We (Americans) sailed on Fred.Olsen a number of years ago, on a cruise out of Miami. I believe we were among only 19 US passengers aboard. The others arrived on charter flights from the UK.

We enjoyed the cruise. Small ship. Lots of music and dancing at night. I was graciously invited to join a British passenger for a round of carpet bowls one day.

In the dining room we were seated with two other American couples. Pleasant people, but they were not at all interested in the British side of things, and they were horrified that iced tea was not offered. We found some of the foods different, but we enjoy that.  We probably would have preferred to have our dinners with UK passengers....but maybe they would not appreciate us.  But we did enjoy our interactions with many of them in other settings.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...