Rental cars & Unpaved roads ?

Cshell5

I had a rental car up in Anchorage last July with the stipulation not to drive on any unpaved roads. It was really kind of funny because I was upgraded to a Mishibishi Lancer station wagon (Peee Yellow) for $75 a day. Going south wasn't any problem. Going north I had to turn around at Hatchers Pass when the pavement ended (Beautiful country). It wasn't a bad deal having lived in Alaska before and see it all. I know about the four wheel drivers stuck in the snow with no traction at all. I think some of the rental car companies just got sick of sending out rescue vehicles to tow back some of their vehicles when the situation could have been prevented. Hope this helps...Tim

:confused: We will be renting cars from Avis on 2 separate legs of our trip. Some of the side roads are listed as "unpaved" Is it true that you don't suppose to go on unpaved roads with rental cars??

In Fairbanks there's an auto rental that specializes in renting for unpaved driving (highway N along AK pipeline). They put extra spare tires and other emergency equipment in the rental so its not a surprise the big agencies restrict usage.

I just received a note from Avis Alaska, stating that they do not allow their cars on ANY gravel road, including the short one from Skagway to Dyea.

Murray

Thanks for the confirmation Murray. Also PB Cruisers is out of business, so just Avis and Sourdough for car rentals.

Archived