Buying the Middle Seat on the Short Leg of a Reward Flight

vjmatty

Can it be done?

I am looking to make the following booking listed below through United for two people.  The first flight is an Airbus A320 with 3-3 seating.  The second is Airbus A340-300 with 2-4-2 seating.  If I want to put hubby at the window and me in the aisle, I would only need to buy the middle seat on the first flight, but I don't want to waste the miles on a third award seat for the entire 2-leg flight by pretending I'm exceedingly fat or otherwise requesting a third seat for the whole flight.

My question is, can I just buy a solo ticket for the first leg of this flight to fill the middle seat using my own name, or will that send up a red flag bringing HLS pounding on my door?

Of course if there are other solutions I am happy to know.

Flight 1 of 2 LH1279   Class: Economy (X)
Mon, Mar 04, 2024   Mon, Mar 04, 2024
02:15 PM   04:25 PM
Athens, GR (ATH)   Frankfurt, DE (FRA)
Flight Operated by Lufthansa.

Flight 2 of 2 LH404   Class: Economy (X)
Mon, Mar 04, 2024   Mon, Mar 04, 2024
05:15 PM   08:25 PM
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)   New York, NY, US (JFK)
Edited by vjmatty
Wrong configuration

When there is 3-3 seating single aisle ( or 3-4-3 double aisle ) flights, I book aisle seats across from each other for the two of us.  We just did that on a Lufthansa flight from Hamburg to Munich last week. Then 2 seats together on the 2-4-2 flight onward. This was an award ticket using UA miles.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the mice said:

When there is 3-3 seating single aisle ( or 3-4-3 double aisle ) flights, I book aisle seats across from each other for the two of us.  We just did that on a Lufthansa flight from Hamburg to Munich last week. Then 2 seats together on the 2-4-2 flight onward. This was an award ticket using UA miles.

I would be happy to do that but hubby likes the window so he can lean against the wall and sleep..... and yes I know it is only a 3 hour flight so maybe he can just suck it up lol

My DH has preferences, too, like being spoiled by award flights in business.  But for daytime flights home from Europe,  sorry hubby, but we are only using miles for economy 🤣.   He survived just fine with a few whimpers just for effect ( but not on me 😉 ).

Anyway, there will be service on this short flight so it won't be quiet like a long flight.  Seatbacks up for takeoff and descent, not a lot of pitch, so how much sleep will he really get on such a short flight?  You have a long TA flight ( probably 8-9 hours as our flight from Munich ) so plenty of time to sleep.  

Save your miles (especially since UA has devalued again) .  i am sure you will both manage with this compromise.  Enjoy your trip.

1 hour ago, the mice said:

My DH has preferences, too, like being spoiled by award flights in business.  But for daytime flights home from Europe,  sorry hubby, but we are only using miles for economy 🤣.   He survived just fine with a few whimpers just for effect ( but not on me 😉 ).

Anyway, there will be service on this short flight so it won't be quiet like a long flight.  Seatbacks up for takeoff and descent, not a lot of pitch, so how much sleep will he really get on such a short flight?  You have a long TA flight ( probably 8-9 hours as our flight from Munich ) so plenty of time to sleep.  

Save your miles (especially since UA has devalued again) .  i am sure you will both manage with this compromise.  Enjoy your trip.

That is exactly what I do, save the business class rewards for the outbound overnight flights and suffer with economy rewards coming back since it’s all daytime. I mean yes the flight staff pretends it’s night, turning down the lights and shades but I’m happy to watch movies.

There is another award available on Turkish Airlines with only a one-hour short flight, but the overseas leg is a 777 with 3-4-3 setup. And gets in 3 hours later.  *sigh* I miss the days when we could do two business round trips to Europe on miles.

I’m liking the aisle seats idea more and more.