Can someone explain the logisitics of day 11 of this cruise?

KyleClark

If it's like the one we did many moons ago, you stay on the ship unless you book an excursion that will leave from the ship using lifeboats as tenders.  If you do that. you will meet the ship when it docks at Colon.  If you don't, the ship floats around in Gatun Lake for a while until it's turn to transit back out the Gatun locks, then will dock at Colon.  You can get off the ship there if you wish.  But you will want to be up really early if you need to get a spot for viewing in the public areas.  The most crowded will the the ones facing the front - and it's worth it if you've never been through locks before.  Even if you have a balcony, I would stake out a public place with forward viewing early in the morning.  It's cool to see all the ships lined up to wait their turn.  Then go to your balcony for the afternoon transit.

Edited by GORDONCHICK
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, RoundGuy2771 said:

Is that one where you go to the Panama Canal, but not actually through it?

You go through the Gatun locks twice.  And yes, it's a partial transit.

Edited by GORDONCHICK

I can't speak about the port today, but almost 20 years ago, it was a very industrial port but we docked right at a warehouse with tons of booths and the locals were selling things.  Back then, hand made molas were very common.  There were also dancers.  Other than that, there was nothing in walking distance.  There were taxis you could hire but you'd have to know where you were going.  I have no idea what the area is like now.

Did this about a year ago. They now have a large building at Colon which has an assortment of t shirts, handbags, liquor, luggage, etc. None of it seemed locally made, just a typical, overly priced tourist trap type place. I was hoping for a local experience, but found it very disappointing.

• Like 1

Around 5:00 am, the ship enters the Panama Canal from the Atlantic Ocean and passes thru the first set of locks on the canal (Gatun Locks).  

After the passing thru the locks, the ship cruises a short distance in Gatun Lake (part of the canal water system) and then tenders people with specific excursions to shore.  Some of these excursions are on buses and some of them are on boats/buses.  If you don't have a shore excursion, you stay on the ship.  Shore excursions do not return to the ship at this location.  I do not know if you are able to arrange excursions that are not sold by the cruise line.

At 3:00 pm, the ship will return to the Atlantic Ocean via the same set of Gatun Locks (going the opposite direction).

At 5:00 pm, the ship will dock at Colon, Panama (outside of the canal system).  There's not much to do there for passengers.  Between 5:00 pm and 8:00 pm (in theory) the shore excursions will return passengers by bus to the ship in Colon.  I say "in theory" because my shore excursion did not get back to the ship until about 10:00 pm, but the ship waited for us, since it was a ship excursion.

At 8:00 pm the ship departs for the next port.

When I did this cruise 9 years ago we were told that you could only disembark from Gatun Lake with a ship excursion and that you are not allowed off on a  private tour due to Panama Canal Authority regulations.  You are allowed to disembark from Colon with an independent tour or by yourself.  

Please note that there are lots of wonderful private tours on the panama canal trip (Dora the Explorer was wonderful in Cartagena), but if you book with NCL please be extremely cautious about checking with private tours about their cancellation policies prior to booking.  

As far as I know the issues on the Panama Canal cruises with NCL cancelling ports haven't been as widespread as some other ports like the Dominican Republic and Islafjord, but there have  been issues reported on these forums:

"San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua and Costa Rica were canceled and our port time in Panama was shortened so much that it is completely useless.  I always thought Nicaragua would be cancelled  from the get go but Costa Rica seemed senseless and was a big loss to most people, as was our day in Panama.  The reason given was that they were concerned for our safety.  Very plausible for Nicaragua but ridiculous for Costa Rica (no reason given for shorting us on Panama).  The crazy part was claiming to be concerned about safety while substituting Acapulco and Jamaica. "  That was the 31st post in this forum:

On this trip review from the Bliss (which was written by a lovely couple and might help you with your planning)  they lost both Costa Rica and Nicaragua, and Cartagena was scheduled from 6 am - 2 pm (back on board by 1:30), which makes it very hard to schedule independent tours or to have enough time to appreciate the beauty of Cartagena, which is one of the absolute highlights of a Panama Canal cruise.

Edited by kitkat343

On 6/26/2023 at 12:23 AM, kitkat343 said:

When I did this cruise 9 years ago we were told that you could only disembark from Gatun Lake with a ship excursion and that you are not allowed off on a  private tour due to Panama Canal Authority regulations.  You are allowed to disembark from Colon with an independent tour or by yourself.  

Please note that there are lots of wonderful private tours on the panama canal trip (Dora the Explorer was wonderful in Cartagena), but if you book with NCL please be extremely cautious about checking with private tours about their cancellation policies prior to booking.  

As far as I know the issues on the Panama Canal cruises with NCL cancelling ports haven't been as widespread as some other ports like the Dominican Republic and Islafjord, but there have  been issues reported on these forums:

"San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua and Costa Rica were canceled and our port time in Panama was shortened so much that it is completely useless.  I always thought Nicaragua would be cancelled  from the get go but Costa Rica seemed senseless and was a big loss to most people, as was our day in Panama.  The reason given was that they were concerned for our safety.  Very plausible for Nicaragua but ridiculous for Costa Rica (no reason given for shorting us on Panama).  The crazy part was claiming to be concerned about safety while substituting Acapulco and Jamaica. "  That was the 31st post in this forum:

On this trip review from the Bliss (which was written by a lovely couple and might help you with your planning)  they lost both Costa Rica and Nicaragua, and Cartagena was scheduled from 6 am - 2 pm (back on board by 1:30), which makes it very hard to schedule independent tours or to have enough time to appreciate the beauty of Cartagena, which is one of the absolute highlights of a Panama Canal cruise.

I admire your persistence.