NCL Gem Obstructed Oceanview 8586, 8086

I've looked up videos and photos trying to match up with the cabin layout map on NCL's website and realized the obstructed oceanview cabins are well, really obstructed so for me not worth the money getting them over an interior cabin however when I look at the map, these 2 cabins (8586 and 8086 don't seem to be obstructed at all). Can anyone confirm who has been in either room since the Gem was refurbished? Looked up videos and photos of the sister sips the Jewel, Jade, and Pearl as well already. 

FWIW, oceanview windows, whether it was porthole, obstructed & otherwise "bigger" rectangular picture ones, remained the same ... ditto for the lifeboats and super structures on the ship (Gem, specifically) aren't changed nor modified, as they were engineered by design.

This was our obstructed portside one on the GEM #8574, or similar, with views of the lifeboat - they're not darkly tinted for privacy (as was reported around the time on another ship ... as I recall) which we stayed in 2017.  I am 99.5% sure despite newer dry dock work done, if any, not changed - just like before in 2012 when we're on her, different deck then with porthole classification.

IMG_20170504_104120.thumb.jpg.fad45e089433ba63c7616343e315932e.jpg

There are good reasons for classifying them as obstructed OV cabin ... unlike the "regular" OV - commonly located on Deck 4 and this one (ours in 2018) on Deck 5 for the GEM (Jewel & Star class)

There are some nice ones also on Deck 8 (Fwd & Aft)

IMG_20180503_172302.thumb.jpg.b84cf9967805de5493dbdcf3db102c70.jpg

As for the obstructed ones, we like the ones selected for our cruises ... however, for the given ones in question - as they are closer to the midship elevators & stairs, including the ones even closer, along that bend in the corridors - I would avoid them for noise reasons if you prefer to sleep at 10 p.m. as there might still be music & noises coming from the nearby atrium lobby below, not all the party noises are entirely blocked.  It does quiet down closer toward midnight - not an issue for us.  Very convenient location for access to O'Sheehan's, quick elevator rides to the buffet & pool decks, and stairs for the gangways to go ashore.  

Answers aren't going to change, as I can assure you that it is virtually similar on the Dawn that we last sailed in 2019.  There are lifeboats outside these obstructed cabins and the difference varied ONLY by the percentage or degree of blockage ... and what you can see, mostly over the upper portion of those window(s).   

SDC8004.thumb.JPG.adf62b5a6d55c50cb316d92f4c650595.JPG

From the Jewel, we briefly stayed in this particular obstructed OV but ... ended up with exchanging it on a "free" upgrade move into a midship balcony, requested by and arranged by onboard manager for guest services.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

On 7/2/2023 at 11:39 AM, mking8288 said:

FWIW, oceanview windows, whether it was porthole, obstructed & otherwise "bigger" rectangular picture ones, remained the same ... ditto for the lifeboats and super structures on the ship (Gem, specifically) aren't changed nor modified, as they were engineered by design.

This was our obstructed portside one on the GEM #8574, or similar, with views of the lifeboat - they're not darkly tinted for privacy (as was reported around the time on another ship ... as I recall) which we stayed in 2017.  I am 99.5% sure despite newer dry dock work done, if any, not changed - just like before in 2012 when we're on her, different deck then with porthole classification.

IMG_20170504_104120.thumb.jpg.fad45e089433ba63c7616343e315932e.jpg

There are good reasons for classifying them as obstructed OV cabin ... unlike the "regular" OV - commonly located on Deck 4 and this one (ours in 2018) on Deck 5 for the GEM (Jewel & Star class)

There are some nice ones also on Deck 8 (Fwd & Aft)

IMG_20180503_172302.thumb.jpg.b84cf9967805de5493dbdcf3db102c70.jpg

As for the obstructed ones, we like the ones selected for our cruises ... however, for the given ones in question - as they are closer to the midship elevators & stairs, including the ones even closer, along that bend in the corridors - I would avoid them for noise reasons if you prefer to sleep at 10 p.m. as there might still be music & noises coming from the nearby atrium lobby below, not all the party noises are entirely blocked.  It does quiet down closer toward midnight - not an issue for us.  Very convenient location for access to O'Sheehan's, quick elevator rides to the buffet & pool decks, and stairs for the gangways to go ashore.  

Answers aren't going to change, as I can assure you that it is virtually similar on the Dawn that we last sailed in 2019.  There are lifeboats outside these obstructed cabins and the difference varied ONLY by the percentage or degree of blockage ... and what you can see, mostly over the upper portion of those window(s).   

SDC8004.thumb.JPG.adf62b5a6d55c50cb316d92f4c650595.JPG

From the Jewel, we briefly stayed in this particular obstructed OV but ... ended up with exchanging it on a "free" upgrade move into a midship balcony, requested by and arranged by onboard manager for guest services.  

Do you remember what cabin number the OV cabin was on the Jewel?

From pictures of both cabins, have those oval windows mking showed.  Outside, big hydraulic cylinder for lifeboats.  Those things don't change.

Edited by dexddd
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

We were in 8086 on the Pearl this May. Although obstructed, you could see a little between the lifeboats. We always book to be near O'Sheehan's, one of our favorite spots, especially for breakfast and midnight nightcaps. We normally book inside cabins, but this was pretty comparible because of the obstructed view. and was a little larger/better layout than the inside cabins. On the Pearl, this room had one large window, not two small ones. We are booked next May on the Gem, but in an outside cabin on the other side of O'Sheehan's.

Edited by Susanmaple
addition, change