Experience with RCCL The Key and a Greek Islands 6/25 Odyssey Cruise (Santorini in particular)

I just want to share our experience as I found other's posts on this topic pretty helpful. Returning the favor. 

I really debated purchasing The Key for our 6/25 cruise on Odyssey of the Seas (our 2nd time on Odyssey). Family of 3 (myself, wife and 18yr old daughter). I knew I wanted to purchase the VOOM package. Also knew we wanted our time at Santorini to be maximized and low-stress. I saw nightmare stories of people waiting 2-3 hours to get up and another 2 hours to get down) in Santorini. I also saw mixed reviews on the Santorini excursions with people booking the excursions simply as a way to avoid the lines up to Fira/Oia. I viewed The Key as giving us front-of-the-line passes for the tender ports of Mykonos and Santorini. I also viewed the RCCL excursions in both those ports as simply front-of-the-line passes for transportation as those islands appeared to be extremely easy to do on your own after reading all the posts about them. So we purchased The Key as booking excursions in Mykonos and Santorini (combined with a VOOM package) would cost more than just purchasing The Key and would tie us to a group excursion that did things we weren't interested in (going to a Farm, winery, etc.). 

Turns out this decision was definitely better for us and I am happy with the decision but ONLY for giving us front-of-the-line tender tickets for Santorini. It REALLY provided us a huge advantage for Santorini. We were on maybe the 3rd tender (the ship arrived early and we weren't ready or we would have been on the 1st tender). We got to the pier, purchased the speed boat ticket to OIA, and avoided the extremely long line for the cable cars as well as the walk/donkey ride up. We got to OIA very early compared to everyone else and the pictures were incredible (meaning we could take pictures without other people in our photos since we got there so early). Afterward, we met several families who told us it took them 3 hours to get to OIA so we were happy with our decision. Also, the RCCL excursions for the most part (unless you booked extremely early and got the first excursion time), got to OIA well after we did. 

For Mykonos, there really wasn't much of a benefit to The Key for us. We actually didn't even use The Key for priority tenders at Mykonos. We had plenty of time to tour Mykonos on our own. 

We also did not use any other benefits of The Key on the entire cruise. I had planned to use it for the bumper cars and other activities but we just didn't need to. All in all, the time saved in Santorini, was priceless and allowed for spectacular pictures and I WOULD NOT hesitate to purchase The Key again solely for Santorini and the wifi. After 1.5 hours in OIA, it became EXTREMELY crowded and we definitely would not have had the amazing pictures we had without The Key. But if I was on any other itinerary that didn't include Santorini, I would have considered it a waste of money besides the wifi. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Do you happen to know if guest traveling in suites had the same priority access to tenders?  We are going to Santorini and Mykonos next year and are cruising in a suite. I want to be off as quickly as possible to minimize the crowds but also because it will be August and super hot in the afternoon. Thanks!

24 minutes ago, megs193 said:

Do you happen to know if guest traveling in suites had the same priority access to tenders?  We are going to Santorini and Mykonos next year and are cruising in a suite. I want to be off as quickly as possible to minimize the crowds but also because it will be August and super hot in the afternoon. Thanks!

Speak to the suite concierge, or your genie (if Star class)...you should be able to get priority tender. Happy sailing! :classic_smile:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Do you know if the North Star and iFly are free in this sailing with the Key?  I know in US Sailings those cost money but confusing language online if those are included with Odyssey Greek Isles cruise. Booked this itinerary for July 2024 and contemplating the Key.

On 7/7/2023 at 3:10 PM, teddybear231 said:

Thank you for sharing! We are on the Odyssey on 8/20 and I was considering getting the Key for the reasons you mentioned. I think we are going to purchase it now based on your review!

Did yuo end up purchasing it?  If so, how was your experience for your recent cruise?

26 minutes ago, Snappy949 said:

I know in US Sailings those cost money but confusing language online if those are included with Odyssey Greek Isles cruise.

Welcome to CC.

There should be free sessions in Europe the same as in the US - you might confirm via the app (set to current sailing).  Any Key specific perks/sessions should also be the same.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 12:52 PM, Snappy949 said:

Did yuo end up purchasing it?  If so, how was your experience for your recent cruise?

Yes we did, and it was certainly worth it!

My only gripe is that is wasn't very clear where/when to meet on the tender days (Santorini to be specific). We received different answers every time we asked guest services, but luckily we got it figured out. 

When we tendered in Mykonos there wasn't even a place to meet as a group with other key members/suite guests, instead guest services just told us to walk to the front of the tender line. Which we did, but we received many nasty looks/comments as we did so. I felt bad doing that, but that's what other key members were told as well. I'm glad we purchased the Key considering we had to tender in 2 ports.

• Like 1

I was on the sailing after yours and also purchased the Key for the same reason- priority when tendering. No regrets, it was money very well spent. We were in Fira in less than 45 minutes then went on to an excursion booked through Viator for 1/3 of the price of RC tours. Mykonos was also a breeze. The Chops lunch and the Voom service were the only other benefits we took advantage of. 

Edited by TravelinTess
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2023 at 12:51 PM, Snappy949 said:

Do you know if the North Star and iFly are free in this sailing with the Key?  I know in US Sailings those cost money but confusing language online if those are included with Odyssey Greek Isles cruise. Booked this itinerary for July 2024 and contemplating the Key.

They have periods of time where the North Star and the iFly are free for holders of the Key. But you need to sign up asap after boarding.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 7/3/2023 at 11:49 AM, Nolefan95 said:

I just want to share our experience as I found other's posts on this topic pretty helpful. Returning the favor. 

How quickly can the key get you off the boat?  My understanding is that they give you a few times to select from for priority but I'd legit like to be on the first tender.  What are the odds of getting on that quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2024 at 3:08 PM, ladycody said:

How quickly can the key get you off the boat?  My understanding is that they give you a few times to select from for priority but I'd legit like to be on the first tender.  What are the odds of getting on that quickly.

Maybe things have changed from last year but I didn't have to pick a time. We just had to show up at the meeting point (think it was Boleros) earlier than other people if you wanted the first tender. Then when its your turn, they take you through a back door exit right to the tender.