Holland America " Meet me on Board" luggage Alaska

ncshp955

I am not sure if this is in another post but I am trying to find out if you have a land portion tour in Alaska before your cruise. when and where do you leave bags that you do not want to take with you on the land portion.  I have read about the program but cannot find where you actually leave the luggage.  We are flying in a day early and could not get a room at the Westmark where Holland America has us booked for the actual day of the tour so I am not sure if it is done at the airport or if we have to hold onto the luggage until the Westmark.  Any help would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, ncshp955 said:

Any help would be appreciated.

What a great question !

If you haven't asked HAL, try Shore Excursions = 888-425-9376   M-F 7 am - 5 pm (Pacific).    They'll refer you to the department that knows. 

Edited by Boatdrill

5 hours ago, ncshp955 said:

I am not sure if this is in another post but I am trying to find out if you have a land portion tour in Alaska before your cruise. when and where do you leave bags that you do not want to take with you on the land portion.  I have read about the program but cannot find where you actually leave the luggage.  We are flying in a day early and could not get a room at the Westmark where Holland America has us booked for the actual day of the tour so I am not sure if it is done at the airport or if we have to hold onto the luggage until the Westmark.  Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the current HAL Alaska Tips to help in your planning:

Alaska Tour Tips (current)

Edited by Crew News

4 hours ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

I would like to know how it works on land tours after the cruise. 

On land tours after the cruise, you will be provided luggage tags for items going with you and those items that will be in your final hotel room.  Both category luggage will be placed outside your stateroom door before midnight.

You will be provided stateroom keys, daily itineraries, and luggage tags for the next movement of your luggage before checking-in for overnight stays. 

No roller bags for Denali unless pre-approved for transporting medical devices. 

Here is a link that may be helpful:  Alaska Tour Tips (current)

A word of caution when discussing land tours after a cruise.  There will be many different land tour itineraries' passengers all departing the ship at the same time.  When asking questions, ensure that you are clear on what itinerary about which you are asking.

Edited by Crew News

Thank you for the information and link.  We have not found this information yet.  We have a Land tour that is a train from the Whittier Dock to Denali.  Please clarify your comment , "No roller bags for Denali unless pre-approved for transporting medical devices. "  Are you talking about personal bags that stay with you on the train?  Or are you talking about the luggage going with you that you put outside your cabin the night before cruise departure that you will use at the hotel at Denali? We both have backpacks that always stay with us and one hard sided luggage with spinner wheels that we had planned to put outside our cabin to use at Denali hotel.  No other luggage.   Thank you for your help and knowledge.

3 hours ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

Thank you for the information and link.  We have not found this information yet.  We have a Land tour that is a train from the Whittier Dock to Denali.  Please clarify your comment , "No roller bags for Denali unless pre-approved for transporting medical devices. "  Are you talking about personal bags that stay with you on the train?  Or are you talking about the luggage going with you that you put outside your cabin the night before cruise departure that you will use at the hotel at Denali? We both have backpacks that always stay with us and one hard sided luggage with spinner wheels that we had planned to put outside our cabin to use at Denali hotel.  No other luggage.   Thank you for your help and knowledge.

Just for clarification, no roller bags are allowed "inside" the bus/trains since there is no place to put them. Personal bags being delivered to Denali may be of any style (with or without wheels).  Make sure your backpacks do not exceed the size in the "Tour Tips" or they will not fit under the train seat in front of you or in the bus overhead racks.

Good idea combining luggage into one bag for Denali.

FWIW the food on the train is not free but of exceptional quality.  Nice bathrooms, too.

Tip:  As a hobby photographer, I can confirm that the view through the train windows is amazing but photos through the thick glass will be adversely affected.  There is a large area between the train cars that will provide clear photos of wildlife.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/moose/P6120673.jpg

Edited by Crew News

3 hours ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

The train has limited space with no room for anything larger than a carry-on (think under the seat in front of you on an airplane type carry-on). Depending on your seat assignments on the train, you may have a bit more space (we had the last seats at the rear and there was an empty space behind our seats where we put our carry-on), our personal items (cross body) stayed with us. Your backpacks could fit if they typically fit under a seat on an airplane. 

Larger suitcases: the ones you tag to meet you each night at your hotel can be larger wheeled suitcases and will be waiting for you at your hotel. You'll set those out for pickup each day according to the schedule @Crew News mentioned. That's where you'll access your fresh change of clothes, pj's, etc. The rest of the stuff you don't need before heading home (souvenirs, dirty clothes from the cruise portion, etc) go in the bags you designated to meet you at the very end of your land trip. They will be delivered to your final hotel, so that day you will receive the bag that has met you daily at each hotel plus these other ones.

You will probably want to do a bit of juggling when you pack so you're meeting up each day w/what you need and sending the rest ahead.

Nobody explained that process to us and the guide @Crew News provided is very helpful, but doesn't give the level of detail needed to navigate that process forca first-timer IMHO. It's kinda a leap of faith, but does work.

Happy to answer any other questions if I'm able.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!