Caribbean Cruise-Advice Needed

latebuyer

I’m interested in a norwegian encore cruise that goes to puerta plata, st thomas, tortola and stirrup cay. I’ll probably get in trouble for posting here but the itineraries for the cruises are really cruise line specific. For me, i’m not really a beach person so i’m wondering how these ports are for sightseeing. Tortola seems good as i saw you can take a sightseeing tour around the island. It sounds pretty.

Norwegian encore seems to get quite good reviews but i’ve only been on smaller ships-brilliance of the seas and noordam. Also never sailed on norwegian before. I’m excited for the studio lounge but i hear they nickle and dime you on Norwegian.

Anything else i should consider?

Edited by latebuyer

• latebuyer changed the title to Caribbean Cruise-Advice Needed

Grat Stirrup Kay is a private NCL island on the Bahamas, .   I think you can swim with the pigs there if that would be more interesting or there are zip lines and  wave runners.  I think you can see your options here:  https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/search?destination=Bahamas+Cruises%2CBermuda+Cruises%2CCaribbean+Cruises%2CEurope+Cruises%2CPanama+Canal+Cruises%2CRepositioning+Cruises%2CSouth+America+Cruises%2CTransatlantic+Cruises%2CWeekend+Cruises&port=NPI&sort=searchWeight&sortOrder=asc&perPage=12&startingRecord=0 .

I believe the issues in Puerto Plata have been resolved, so hopefully you will be able to dock there, but please always carefully review independent excursions refund policies prior to booking, especially when you sail NCL.  They've had some issues with NCL changing itineraries after final payment and so you need to be careful.  Thankfully, when they were cancelling Puerto Plata, most of the private vendors offered full refunds if the ship didn't dock. 

I usually start my search by looking at the cruise line tour offerings, then looking here on the destination board and also on TripAdvisor to see what the options are for each port.  In the DR, we were going to visit a monkey refuge, but because our ship was one of the ones cancelled after final payment and NCL wouldn't let us switch I can't actually recommend a tour.

Just did this on The Escape in March, fun and beautiful ports.

Puerto Plata has a "cruise ship" area of shops, pool, sand and food and drinks at your cost.  Very nice area and comfortable.  No pushy vendors.  

You can leave this area and do more sight seeing and shopping but the vendors are very pushy and persistent. We walked on our own to the Umbrella ally and returned pretty quickly to the ship as it was very hot and crowded

Stirup Cay is free and private, just your cruise passengers.  If you have the drink package it is included on the island along with food. Great beach for swimming and relaxing with plenty of chairs.

St Thomas we took an NCL excursion to St John as we wanted to go to The National Park (bucket list thing) again very hot, pretty hike and we got to put another stamp in our National Park Book.

Tortola was a short time frame so we just walked around, ate lunch and had some drinks

We always take the free at sea promotion and do not do anything extra so we really don't understand the complaints about nickel and dime. Our cruises never end up costing us more than we plan on.

Met some really fun people on The Escape who were in the solo cabins and they all said that they were great and they enjoyed the solo gatherings!

Enjoy

Thanks both. I do find the thread on missed ports very concerning. Really i consider it 3 ports as i’m not that interested in stirrup cay. Good to know they are pushy in puerta plata. May be best to take a ship excursion there.

• Like 1

Went to Great Stirrup Cay on NCL in May. We loved it. Relaxing day. Nice beach with plenty of chairs. Also enjoyed the free food and drinks.

Puerta Plata was just ok. We just walked around port area.

St. Thomas was very nice. Did a snorkel excursion thru the ship. The excursion was just ok.

As far as NCL, been on a Royal, Carnival and Celebrity. I have to say I really think the bang for your buck is really good on NCL.

On 7/6/2023 at 3:53 PM, latebuyer said:

Thanks both. I do find the thread on missed ports very concerning. Really i consider it 3 ports as i’m not that interested in stirrup cay. Good to know they are pushy in puerta plata. May be best to take a ship excursion there.

HI,

My cruise was in June on the Sky and I took the Sustainable Dominican Coffee excursion in the Dominican Republic and found it really interesting and fun. We even had a chance to do some coffee bean planting. A typical DR Lunch was prepared for us there as well.  Our bus tour guide was absolutely fantastic.  Wish I could remember his name.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

happytotravel

On 7/6/2023 at 3:15 PM, latebuyer said:

I’m interested in a norwegian encore cruise that goes to puerta plata, st thomas, tortola and stirrup cay. I’ll probably get in trouble for posting here but the itineraries for the cruises are really cruise line specific. For me, i’m not really a beach person so i’m wondering how these ports are for sightseeing. Tortola seems good as i saw you can take a sightseeing tour around the island. It sounds pretty.

Norwegian encore seems to get quite good reviews but i’ve only been on smaller ships-brilliance of the seas and noordam. Also never sailed on norwegian before. I’m excited for the studio lounge but i hear they nickle and dime you on Norwegian.

Anything else i should consider?

Here’s my live post from the Encore on that itinerary. You can see the dailies to get an idea on what happens on the ship and pictures of her venues.