Holland America Westerdam aft. cabins

lactmom4sons

1 minute ago, lactmom4sons said:

any information appreciated.

may travel solo or with 14 year old grand daughter

Be sure to make your reservation WITH the DGD in the cabin. Much easier to drop her or just have her be a no-show, than to add a person later. The lifeboat station count could fill up!

Can't contribute on the cabin choice. We sailed in one of the "Inside with a window" on the Observation Deck, on the Zuiderdam. It wasn't bad, but probably would not be our choice post-pandemic.

• Like 1

I would not book an OV (ocean view) cabin.  The beds are under the window, window sill is deep, night stands in front add another two feet or so.  I spent 32 days in one on Oosterdam and much prefer the huge inside cabins on main deck, and the wraparound promenade deck.  I did 14 day Alaska cruises twice on Princess in inside cabins.  EM

• 1 month later...

Though a veranda is nice, when we were in Alaska, it was really too cold out to enjoy it much.  On the other hand a 14-year-old might enjoy being able to go out on a veranda and watch things -- her circulation is better!!!  An inside cabin can get pretty small and boring for a 14-year-old, presuming of course that she takes her eyes off her smartphone!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/2/2023 at 10:00 PM, Haljo1935 said:

I have a strong preference for true aft balconies (wake view) on AK itineraries. Yes, it can get cold out there, but a blanket helps 😃 and the rewards of whales and other wildlife are definitely worth it.

Do you have a deck preference?  We’re looking at Aft deck 7 but our friends are looking at Deck 8.  I notice Deck 4 is higher priced?

34 minutes ago, maggiev said:

Do you have a deck preference?  We’re looking at Aft deck 7 but our friends are looking at Deck 8.  I notice Deck 4 is higher priced?

We prefer the lower decks because of the proximity to the water and wildlife. Our preference is 4 or 5 depending on the ship. Sometimes the price difference pushes us up, but if we can get CO, we're usually able to get what we want.

Deck 4 is probably higher priced because the cabins are "longer" so more room (look at 4174, 76, 79, 81) and more convenient to MDR. On Westerdam, deck 5 has the really deep balconies, so that's our choice for that ship.

With all that said, I don't think any are bad - they're aft and it's AK!

Screenshot_20240131-200641_Drive.thumb.jpg.c866cc1ccbd9a54831b624ee0d7ac518.jpg

Screenshot_20240131-200230_Drive.thumb.jpg.5fbad109187d7d39377d0bce7b2e22e0.jpg

Screenshot_20240131-200259_Drive.thumb.jpg.683c972a24477a8e4a3cdad635b9e498.jpg

Screenshot_20240131-200556_Drive.thumb.jpg.480d42116fddcd51368f4f799d70089f.jpg