Royal Up

I've seeing bidding open up at varying times as well as when the upgrade occurs.  For example, on our last cruise in April on Harmony we didn't get the upgrade until 2 days prior to sailing and I had bid for it about 30 days out, however for our Alaska cruise on Ovation 8/4 I received the upgrade yesterday, so 3+ weeks out and I bid for that about 80 days out.  Funny thing is the room we got showed available for purchase yesterday morning and I contemplated just buying it but decided not to and then later in the afternoon I got the email stating I was upgraded and noticed it was that room, good thing as it saved me almost $7K!  I was surprised as I figured Royal would take their chances at least for another week or so on letting someone purchase it vs giving it to us at a very nice discount.  I haven't seen my old room open yet nor did I get the we're "oversold" email so not sure what they did with it... lol  FWIW we went from a ocean view with large balcony to a grand suite with large balcony.  Really wanted to sky loft suite and had bid much more for it but obviously none are open so I'll be happy with what we got!  Haven't gotten the email yet for our 11/11 cruise on Odysey and we're now 120 days out...    

Edited by Concord Slim
  • Like 2

When the program first started, for reasons which no one really understood, not everyone was offered a RoyalUp.  Sometimes you just weren't eligible to bid - for whatever reason....so, when you logged into theRU website, you would get that "30 day" message even if you were within 30 days of sailing. Typical Royal IT BS.  I think they have fixed this now, for the most part...and pretty much everyone is allowed to participate in RU if they choose to.

• Like 1

Just want to say that constantly checking your cruise for reductions can pay off in a big way.  Our cheapest minimum bid would've cost us $140 and gotten us into a deck 3 port hole from an interior.  Today, they reduced the balcony guarantee on our cruise to $499  so we did a swap that cost us a fraction of the bid we offered and now have a balcony for $82 difference.  Win win!  The only downside is it could be a Boardwalk, but hey that's OK.  Maybe a chance to switch that too.  So check those prices.  Much better than waiting and getting zip on the day you board.LOL

We did the cheapest inside on an Alaskan cruise.  Got our Royal Up offer about 45 days out. We got our upgrade 4 days ago (30 days out), and we bid a "weak" bid.  If this helps.