Rental car in Halifax to drive to Lunenburg - doable?

storkington

Hi all,

We will be in Halifax from 7am to 5pm in September and we are considering hiring a car and drive to Lunenburg. We would likely stop at Peggy's Cove for a short stop, and if we had any time left we would drive up to the citadel in town and/or the Titanic cemetery. 

Looking at Google Maps it shows that it would take 2.5 hours if we take the coastal road, so let's say 3 hours with a short stop at Peggy's Cove. And I guess if we are pushed for time we can always take the quick route of just over an hour back.

Has anyone done this? Is it doable, or are we being ambitious? 

Thanks for any insights you might be able to provide!

I do tours in Halifax and a Lunenburg day with Peggy’s Cove and Titanic visit is a full day without accounting for rental car pickup and return. There is a rental car agency at Westin close by (12 minute walk) but you would have to check when it opens. A direct a Lunenburg drive from Port is 1 hour 25 minutes (not the coastal route). So if doing this tour I suggest you  go direct to Lunenburg then return with a  Peggy’s visit followed by Titanic cemetery and a drive around citadel hill

last. This route is taking you back toward the ship. The other thing about renting a car is you have to account for time in finding parking places. A tour could achieve what you want because your driver would pick you up and the take care of parking and know best routes. 

We have reserved a car from the Hertz at the Westin & are in port from 9am-6pm on a Sunday and we are the only ship. I also wanted to do Lunenburg then Peggy's Cove  and finally the waterfront with possibly including the Citadel. I have been thinking that I may have to forgo Lunenburg as it is about 100KM past Peggy's Cove and as you said there is car pick up & drop off times. Your thoughts please jdavid.

12 hours ago, eltigre said:

We have reserved a car from the Hertz at the Westin & are in port from 9am-6pm on a Sunday and we are the only ship. I also wanted to do Lunenburg then Peggy's Cove  and finally the waterfront with possibly including the Citadel. I have been thinking that I may have to forgo Lunenburg as it is about 100KM past Peggy's Cove and as you said there is car pick up & drop off times. Your thoughts please jdavid.

I would go straigt to Lunenburg on the 103 Highway and then come back. After leaving Lunenburg take the 3 to Mahone Bay for 15-20 minutes there, It's only a ten minute drive. After leaving Mahone Bay, catch the 103 again to Exit 5 at Tantallon and follow signs to Peggy's. You'll know at that point how much time you have before heading back to Halifax on the 333. Don't go back to Exit 5, When leaving Peggy's turn right on 333. It's 45 minutes back to city. You may have time for Titanic Cemetery ??? Eat in Lunenburg or Mahone Bay or take a lunch with you and get a lobster roll in peggy's at Tom's or McGoos.  When I do my Private tours to Lunenburg, Peggy's - this is my plan (no charge). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OMG. As I keep reading of places that others are visiting while in Halifax, I keep thinking I might have to visit again. With everything I have on my list, I can't fit anything else in and Lunenburg sounds wonderful, especially the lobster rolls. Is there anywhere else you would recommend a lobster roll.jdavid? We will not be going to Peggy's Cove, we have already been there.

15 minutes ago, butterfly55 said:

OMG. As I keep reading of places that others are visiting while in Halifax, I keep thinking I might have to visit again. With everything I have on my list, I can't fit anything else in and Lunenburg sounds wonderful, especially the lobster rolls. Is there anywhere else you would recommend a lobster roll.jdavid? We will not be going to Peggy's Cove, we have already been there.

There are a few places on the Harbourwalk north of the ship.  Dave's comes to mind.

On 7/11/2023 at 8:34 PM, jdavid said:

I do tours in Halifax and a Lunenburg day with Peggy’s Cove and Titanic visit is a full day without accounting for rental car pickup and return. There is a rental car agency at Westin close by (12 minute walk) but you would have to check when it opens. A direct a Lunenburg drive from Port is 1 hour 25 minutes (not the coastal route). So if doing this tour I suggest you  go direct to Lunenburg then return with a  Peggy’s visit followed by Titanic cemetery and a drive around citadel hill

last. This route is taking you back toward the ship. The other thing about renting a car is you have to account for time in finding parking places. A tour could achieve what you want because your driver would pick you up and the take care of parking and know best routes. 

Jdavid,

On Sept. 29th, our ship doesn’t get there until 2:30. Do you know who will be able to accommodate a tour to Peggy’s Cove after our late arrival?

7 hours ago, aloveforwander said:

Jdavid,

On Sept. 29th, our ship doesn’t get there until 2:30. Do you know who will be able to accommodate a tour to Peggy’s Cove after our late arrival?

Have you checked the ship excursions?  I am booked that day, otherwise would have done this tour. Other possibilities could be Viatour 

On 7/18/2023 at 5:55 AM, jdavid said:

Have you checked the ship excursions?  I am booked that day, otherwise would have done this tour. Other possibilities could be Viatour 

Hey @jdaviddo you have availability for Wed Sept 27? Our ship gets in late at 1:30pm, leaves 8pm. Thanks!

On 7/11/2023 at 6:36 PM, jdavid said:

One other point is the day of the week. Weekdays are busier than weekends and you will want to check how many ships are in when it comes to availability of cars

Thank you!

We have booked a car with Avis (we get a substantial discount to make it worth the extra 5mins walk there). Thankfully, only 1 other ship in port when we get there! I have planned our route based on your advise, Lunenburg first via the Hwy and then to Peggy's Cove, and if time allows the cemetery/citadel. 

Thanks for your advise, much appreciated!

On 7/12/2023 at 1:09 AM, storkington said:

Hi all,

We will be in Halifax from 7am to 5pm in September and we are considering hiring a car and drive to Lunenburg. We would likely stop at Peggy's Cove for a short stop, and if we had any time left we would drive up to the citadel in town and/or the Titanic cemetery. 

Looking at Google Maps it shows that it would take 2.5 hours if we take the coastal road, so let's say 3 hours with a short stop at Peggy's Cove. And I guess if we are pushed for time we can always take the quick route of just over an hour back.

Has anyone done this? Is it doable, or are we being ambitious? 

Thanks for any insights you might be able to provide!

Yes we did this a few years ago. Rented a car from near the station; drive to beyond Lunenberg so we could catch the ferry at LeHave - had lunch in Lunenberg, then to Mahone Bay, skipped PC, then to the Titanic.  Dropped car off then went for a beer. Note: we did have a late departure from Halifax - around 9p I think so we were not rushed.

Next month we are planning on going straight to PC then back via the lighthouse coast route, to the Titanic but we have to be back on board by 4:30.  
Car rented from Avis in Hollis St. 

If you want to see Lunenberg then s4 of The Sinner starting Bill Pullman was shot there 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, little britain said:

Yes we did this a few years ago. Rented a car from near the station; drive to beyond Lunenberg so we could catch the ferry at LeHave - had lunch in Lunenberg, then to Mahone Bay, skipped PC, then to the Titanic.  Dropped car off then went for a beer. Note: we did have a late departure from Halifax - around 9p I think so we were not rushed.

Next month we are planning on going straight to PC then back via the lighthouse coast route, to the Titanic but we have to be back on board by 4:30.  
Car rented from Avis in Hollis St. 

If you want to see Lunenberg then s4 of The Sinner starting Bill Pullman was shot there 

the series Lock and Key is also filmed there.

• Thanks 1