Advice needed asap!

bigsky

9 hours ago, CynBeth6 said:

I have heard on different message boards I go on about issues with tours that included the Colosseum that they sometimes can’t get tickets and cancel last minute. We actually were there yesterday had gotten ours at the 30 day mark online but as we were waiting to go in were talking to a couple who mentioned that happened so they had to stand in the day of ticket line. Is this a one day port stop from a cruise ship that you are trying to book a day tour for Rome? If possible I would do things on your own. The train from Civi to Rome Termini is a little over an hour. There will be tickets also available 7 days in advance. What else do you want to see in Rome?

Yes cruise ship. Is the Vatican close by? Trevi  fountain is close I think…. 
we need to buy our tickets. May have to take the train. Want to see the Vatican: Sistine Chapel… Colosseum and fountain minimum. Is the other places close by that others visit?  Not sure what needs tickets. I just know I’m freaking out now as I thought this would be done by tour co. They don’t mix groups. Have to have enough people from the ship. 

33 minutes ago, bigsky said:

we need to buy our tickets. May have to take the train. Want to see the Vatican: Sistine Chapel… Colosseum and fountain minimum. Is the other places close by that others visit?  Not sure what needs tickets. I just know I’m freaking out now as I thought this would be done by tour co. They don’t mix groups. Have to have enough people from the ship. 

We actually are staying in Rome right now and did all of the Vatican things in one day St. Peters with dome climb (no reservations needed to get in to the cathedral itself but if you want the dome climb have to get a ticket which you can only get the day of and the Vatican Museum is where the Sistine Chapel is which is a 15 minute walk around the wall and tickets are offered online 60 days in advance but can sometimes get if you pick a special type like one that includes lunch or a tour and we had another day for the Colosseum with Roman Forum and Palatine Hill so not sure of the distance between the Vatican complex and Colosseum we took a taxi from our hotel and back both of those days. The Trevi Fountain is about a 5 minute walk from our hotel which is somewhere near The Pantheon we are told but have not gotten there yet so not sure if the same direction as the fountain or a short walk the other way. We were told that the Colosseum is about a 15-20 minute walk which was too much for us. 

Edited by CynBeth6

1 hour ago, bigsky said:

Google maps is your friend here. 

I would suggest that if you're planning on doing this on your own (including getting to Rome and back) in a day visit from Civitavecchia, you'll not have enough time for an inside visit of the Colosseum AND a visit to the Sistine Chapel. 

The Vatican is not particularly close to the Colosseum, the Vatican is an outlier in terms of most of Rome's key sites being located across the Tiber. However, you can get a taxi (in front of the Colosseo metro station) and take it to the front of the Vatican museum. 

Tickets for the Vatican museum are timed, so you'd have to work out all the timings and get the tickets yourself.

On 7/15/2023 at 1:36 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Google maps is your friend here. 

I would suggest that if you're planning on doing this on your own (including getting to Rome and back) in a day visit from Civitavecchia, you'll not have enough time for an inside visit of the Colosseum AND a visit to the Sistine Chapel. 

The Vatican is not particularly close to the Colosseum, the Vatican is an outlier in terms of most of Rome's key sites being located across the Tiber. However, you can get a taxi (in front of the Colosseo metro station) and take it to the front of the Vatican museum. 

Tickets for the Vatican museum are timed, so you'd have to work out all the timings and get the tickets yourself.

Don’t think I want to chance it. 
Do you know anything about taking the train? Easy from port?

Have you tried F book?  There will be a group called 'Royal caribbean symphony of the seas', which is public and a few more that are private.  It's easy to join these groups. You'll find an equivalent to the cruisecritic roll call which is also easy to join.  On our cruise last Sept, the Fbook group was way more active and informative than CC RollCall.

Plus pax who had just returned were still posting with their recent experiences which was very helpful.

47 minutes ago, bigsky said:

This detailed thread at the top of the forum here should have plenty of information about taking the train from Civitavecchia. It's not difficult as a daytripper; more challenging when carting luggage around.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

This detailed thread at the top of the forum here should have plenty of information about taking the train from Civitavecchia. It's not difficult as a daytripper; more challenging when carting luggage around.

Thank you! I hope to end up in a group cuz I prefer not to take the train. 

2 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Have you tried F book?  There will be a group called 'Royal caribbean symphony of the seas', which is public and a few more that are private.  It's easy to join these groups. You'll find an equivalent to the cruisecritic roll call which is also easy to join.  On our cruise last Sept, the Fbook group was way more active and informative than CC RollCall.

Plus pax who had just returned were still posting with their recent experiences which was very helpful.

Just joined 😁 

2 hours ago, bigsky said:

Just joined 😁 

Hope you see more activity there !  

BTW, we did Rome DIY by train.  Took the train to SPietro (the Vatican stop), then did a combo of walking and taxis to get around to everything we wanted to see.  No time to go inside the sites tho.

For the return trip we left from Ostiense.  We were a group of 4 who had never travelled together so were unsure how fast we'd move in the morning, therefore we didn't buy the train tickets in advance. We bought them at the little convenience store next to the Civi train station.  

Edited by mapleleaves

8 hours ago, bigsky said:

We arranged transportation with Royal to get to the train station. Once there  it was easy to get the ticket to Rome Termini you have to remember to validate your ticket in one of the green things and then find out which track we had to go down steps to go to the other side. It is a pretty small station.The ride is about an hour and 15 minutes. The train station in Rome is huge. There is a taxi stand as you get out to the left. The HOHO busses have a stop there as well if you decide to do that. The whole route takes an hour and 45 minutes. 

Edited by CynBeth6

18 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Hope you see more activity there !  

BTW, we did Rome DIY by train.  Took the train to SPietro (the Vatican stop), then did a combo of walking and taxis to get around to everything we wanted to see.  No time to go inside the sites tho.

For the return trip we left from Ostiense.  We were a group of 4 who had never travelled together so were unsure how fast we'd move in the morning, therefore we didn't buy the train tickets in advance. We bought them at the little convenience store next to the Civi train station.  

Are tickets expensive? Did u have Royal take u to the train station? It’s 25 pp. want as easy as possible at this point

15 hours ago, CynBeth6 said:

We arranged transportation with Royal to get to the train station. Once there  it was easy to get the ticket to Rome Termini you have to remember to validate your ticket in one of the green things and then find out which track we had to go down steps to go to the other side. It is a pretty small station.The ride is about an hour and 15 minutes. The train station in Rome is huge. There is a taxi stand as you get out to the left. The HOHO busses have a stop there as well if you decide to do that. The whole route takes an hour and 45 minutes. 

Were u able to sit down on the train? Heard it was so crowded and some have to stand

41 minutes ago, bigsky said:

Were u able to sit down on the train? Heard it was so crowded and some have to stand

We were on the Civi Express.  I bought RT Ostiense tickets at the convenience store by the Civi RR station.  Ostiense being the furthest stop, I figured we were covered for anything in between. We got off at S Pietro;  boarded at Ostiense for the return.

The 4 of us sat together both directions. I don't recall it being crowded TO Rome, but I remember there less than a dozen people in our carriage on the return to Civi.

(the Regional trains can be packed as they just keep selling tickets, so if you travel during 'commuting times, there may be no seats available. The Civi Express tickets are monitored )

We were lucky for the regional train from Civi to Rome the train car we got on was not very crowded. But, there was no place to put our luggage we were told by the guy helping us on that we had to leave it near the door and we kept constant watch.

1 hour ago, CynBeth6 said:

We were lucky for the regional train from Civi to Rome the train car we got on was not very crowded. But, there was no place to put our luggage we were told by the guy helping us on that we had to leave it near the door and we kept constant watch.

We have no luggage as it’s just a stop off from our cruise ship