How many formal nights?

Mrs_Tiki

32 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

fwiw - I was one of the “formal” ones: white dinner jacket and black Bow tie. 

Just like in your photo here.  It becomes you.  We found the same  percentages on our recent Ovation cruise in Norway.  

49 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

I have been on several seabourn cruises and always make a point to note “formal or elegant” night attire.  This is my reporti from my last cruise to Canada and New England:

Women’s attire much harder to classify. But many long dresses /skirts.  Lots of sequins   Clearly a cut above even “dressy” category.  While not all would be what is usually considered “formal”, there were very few that I would consider under dressed for the “formal” standard. 

men’s attire is easier to classify.  Maybe 3-4%  true formal - meaning out of 100 men in the restaurant, there were 3 or 4 in tuxes or formal dinner jackets.  Men in suits and ties, about 20%.  Jacket and ties- 30%.  Jackets no ties. 30%. The rest -15% or so - were just pants and shirts.  

I saw no jeans in the restaurant on formal night. 

fwiw - I was one of the “formal” ones: white dinner jacket and black Bow tie. 

I believe we were on the same 12 day NY to Montreal cruise last October.  As there was only one formal optional evening it makes sense that a very small percentage of guests donned true formal attire 

nancy

We have a 14 day round trip Caribbean out of Miami coming up in November, the last time we did Caribbean on Seabourn was about 2012 and I think we wore a coat and tie with slacks on formal nights.  Anyways, planning to do same this year (in compliance with posted dress codes).  I can't quite bring myself to wear a tux in the Caribbean plus just one more thing to go wrong if US airlines lose our luggage.  Happy to dress up a little more in a cooler and elegant destination, not a tropical casual destination.

Edited by stan01

5 hours ago, stan01 said:

We have a 14 day round trip Caribbean out of Miami coming up in November, the last time we did Caribbean on Seabourn was about 2012 and I think we wore a coat and tie with slacks on formal nights.  Anyways, planning to do same this year (in compliance with posted dress codes).  I can't quite bring myself to wear a tux in the Caribbean plus just one more thing to go wrong if US airlines lose our luggage.  Happy to dress up a little more in a cooler and elegant destination, not a tropical casual destination.

On a fully air conditioned ship I don’t see a tux being a problem. If your luggage goes missing it wont matter what you plan to wear, you wont have anything to wear😵.

I am on the same trip in November. You will easily pick me out. I will be dressed to kill😂.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunnedg said:

On a fully air conditioned ship I don’t see a tux being a problem. If your luggage goes missing it wont matter what you plan to wear, you wont have anything to wear😵.

.... and the tux weighs less than a suit 😄 and I will be taking mine for a 14 day Alaska trip.

Edited by MBP&O2/O
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dunnedg said:

I am on the same trip in November. You will easily pick me out. I will be dressed to kill😂.

I'm sure we will both enjoy the cruise!  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, stan01 said:

That's when a white dinner jacket should look fantastic.

8 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

That's when a white dinner jacket should look fantastic.

I'll send you my Venmo if you want to donate to a good cause!  There would be zero reason to wear such a thing in our simple and practical lives as retirees in Southern California.  To be honest buying the tux still feels wasteful as we know we'll only wear it a few times.  Bought it because we have a QM2 Queens Grill crossing next year.  I'll freak y'all out when I say I was debating whether to do the 14 day Caribbean cruise as carry on only, but spouse can't do that so you won't see me in my travel-friendly no-iron blue sport coat.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, stan01 said:

I'll send you my Venmo if you want to donate to a good cause!  There would be zero reason to wear such a thing in our simple and practical lives as retirees in Southern California.  To be honest buying the tux still feels wasteful as we know we'll only wear it a few times.  Bought it because we have a QM2 Queens Grill crossing next year.  I'll freak y'all out when I say I was debating whether to do the 14 day Caribbean cruise as carry on only, but spouse can't do that so you won't see me in my travel-friendly no-iron blue sport coat.

I completely hear you.  I was just noting that a white dinner jacket is perfect for a Caribbean cruise.

What's nice is that if you have the full tuxedo kit, all you would need to do is pick up a white dinner jacket only (you can sometimes get great prices for them online), and you already have everything else you need.  

But I understand that having it might seem superfluous.

I can see a man owning a white dinner jacket and/or a tux if he cruised often--say four or more long cruises a year.  But, I have seen that life really does change after retirement.  My husband  owns  a tux which he wore a number of times a year during his career.  There were always plenty of black tie events--some connected to his  law firm and other charity events sprinkled throughout the year.  He had a closetful of dark business suits as well.  The tux  now needs to be replaced  (updated) and the business suits have mostly been donated.  He only needs one business suit (and is getting a new one) to wear to funerals and weddings and the occasional setting that would require wearing one.  He has plenty of up to date sports coats (all conservative) and will be acquiring new ones.  Fine dining in our city has become more casual.  At the most, a sports coat would be the most appropriate thing to wear.  No one even wears a suit at the law firm these days.  That all changed with the pandemic.  It had begun to change before the pandemic and with the pandemic, the change appears to be final.  This is in a large international law firm where my husband still has an office even though retired.   

I used to be a proponent of dressing up on a cruise for formal nights.  While I still think dressing for dinner should be different from daytime wear, I question the white dinner jacket/tux  aesthetic going forward.  This is just not clothing that many people are continuing to wear in their everyday lives.  I know many disagree and I used to be among them.  Our lives have changed and even those still working in professional careers don't dress the same way any longer.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, SLSD said:

The tux  now needs to be replaced  (updated) and the business suits have mostly been donated.  He only needs one business suit (and is getting a new one) to wear to funerals and weddings and the occasional setting that would require wearing one. 

I know the feeling but my dinner suit still fits and still in good condition so for a two week cruise its coming. The kilt etc is great for weddings but I did have to buy a new ‘funeral’ suit this year. Not sure if I want to get too much wear out of it however😂.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dunnedg said:

I know the feeling but my dinner suit still fits and still in good condition so for a two week cruise its coming. The kilt etc is great for weddings but I did have to buy a new ‘funeral’ suit this year. Not sure if I want to get too much wear out of it however😂.

Mr. SLSD's tux still fits as well, but updating probably is best every few years.  We are just not so sure that purchasing a new tux is a good investment.  These days, we don't go to charity events (we dontate instead) that we previously attended to support clients, the firm, etc.  

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Mr. SLSD's tux still fits as well, but updating probably is best every few years.  We are just not so sure that purchasing a new tux is a good investment.  These days, we don't go to charity events (we dontate instead) that we previously attended to support clients, the firm, etc.  

Hmm... I posted a much longer comment--and only this shortened version is appearing...

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

I can see a man owning a white dinner jacket and/or a tux if he cruised often--say four or more long cruises a year.  But, I have seen that life really does change after retirement.  My husband  owns  a tux which he wore a number of times a year during his career.  There were always plenty of black tie events--some connected to his  law firm and other charity events sprinkled throughout the year.  He had a closetful of dark business suits as well.  The tux  now needs to be replaced  (updated) and the business suits have mostly been donated.  He only needs one business suit (and is getting a new one) to wear to funerals and weddings and the occasional setting that would require wearing one.  He has plenty of up to date sports coats (all conservative) and will be acquiring new ones.  Fine dining in our city has become more casual.  At the most, a sports coat would be the most appropriate thing to wear.  No one even wears a suit at the law firm these days.  That all changed with the pandemic.  It had begun to change before the pandemic and with the pandemic, the change appears to be final.  This is in a large international law firm where my husband still has an office even though retired.   

I used to be a proponent of dressing up on a cruise for formal nights.  While I still think dressing for dinner should be different from daytime wear, I question the white dinner jacket/tux  aesthetic going forward.  This is just not clothing that many people are continuing to wear in their everyday lives.  I know many disagree and I used to be among them.  Our lives have changed and even those still working in professional careers don't dress the same way any longer.  

This is very similar for us.  I keep telling my DH he needs to go thru his closet and get rid of all the suits he is never going to wear again.  For "business" attire, he primarily wears a blue sports coat, and for something more formal (wedding/funeral etc) he does still have one good suit.  The other ones are either dated in style or (shhh) don't really fit any more.  He has a tux and and has toyed with the idea of bringing it on a cruise, but it's not just the tux then -- it's the cumberbund, French cuff shirt, cuff links, etc.  Not to mention dress shoes rather than loafers.

I still wear more "dressy" business attire (I'm a lawyer) but not so much the coat and skirt business suits (and thank God, no more floppy ties from the 80's!).  I have a couple of dressy cocktail dresses that don't wrinkle and don't take up much space, so I tend to bring one along for formal night on a cruise, just because I have so few occasions to wear them any more and I do like totting myself up from time to time!

I really don't pay much attention to what others wear on "formal night" other than I do notice if a man is in a tux or dinner jacket or a woman is in a more formal gown.  That's just noticing in terms of admiration, I guess.  I suppose I probably would notice if someone came in in ratty jeans or shorts too, just like I notice yahoos who wear a hat indoors.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

This is very similar for us.  I keep telling my DH he needs to go thru his closet and get rid of all the suits he is never going to wear again.  For "business" attire, he primarily wears a blue sports coat, and for something more formal (wedding/funeral etc) he does still have one good suit.  The other ones are either dated in style or (shhh) don't really fit any more.  He has a tux and and has toyed with the idea of bringing it on a cruise, but it's not just the tux then -- it's the cumberbund, French cuff shirt, cuff links, etc.  Not to mention dress shoes rather than loafers.

I still wear more "dressy" business attire (I'm a lawyer) but not so much the coat and skirt business suits (and thank God, no more floppy ties from the 80's!).  I have a couple of dressy cocktail dresses that don't wrinkle and don't take up much space, so I tend to bring one along for formal night on a cruise, just because I have so few occasions to wear them any more and I do like totting myself up from time to time!

I really don't pay much attention to what others wear on "formal night" other than I do notice if a man is in a tux or dinner jacket or a woman is in a more formal gown.  That's just noticing in terms of admiration, I guess.  I suppose I probably would notice if someone came in in ratty jeans or shorts too, just like I notice yahoos who wear a hat indoors.

I know you "get" this--I can tell from what you posted.  My husband wore his best business suit to something this last week and it was an eye opener.  I tried to contain myself, but fine suit that it was (and not all that old), i knew that its time had passed.  And you are so right about the floppy ties for women lawyers.  Their time passed long ago.  I'm not sure I would have ever worn them.  

I'm actively searching for just the right thing to wear for dinners on a cruise.  I've had my tried and true, but they need updating as well.  I feel that there is a fine line to tread.  

The upshot is that no retired lawyer (or anyone else for that matter) needs more than one fine high quality suit these days.  And, I am not so sure that said fine suit needs to be toted on a vacation cruise.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SLSD said:

And you are so right about the floppy ties for women lawyers.  Their time passed long ago.  I'm not sure I would have ever worn them.  

Every time I see a picture of myself wearing one I alternately cringe and giggle.  Oh, and the same on the HUGE shoulder pads.

I have kept my original Brooks Brothers suit that I got right out of law school.  You know the old "dress for success" mantra of buying something timeless?  LOL.  Notsomuch.  I keep it for nostalgia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SDuckers said:

Every time I see a picture of myself wearing one I alternately cringe and giggle.  Oh, and the same on the HUGE shoulder pads.

I have kept my original Brooks Brothers suit that I got right out of law school.  You know the old "dress for success" mantra of buying something timeless?  LOL.  Notsomuch.  I keep it for nostalgia.

Something timeless always (alas) changes with time.  However, there are a few dresses I regret letting go of.  I'm also thinking of a skirt or two.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, whirldcruzrs said:

Is it Theory, which makes a wonderful no-iron jacket? If not, what designer or brand?

I'm male -- I have had one of these for maybe seven years now, they have changed them once or twice since I bought mine and they are more expensive now.  I did need it for some one carry-on bag work travel to Africa and Middle East and it worked out fine.  Helped my carry on bag pass the Lufthansa agent's rigorous tape measure and scale tests in Cairo:

https://shop.bluffworks.com/collections/performance-blazers

(Just to be clear all other things equal I am a one carry on bag person, not a three steamer trunk with 10 pair of shoes person!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stan01 said:

I'm male -- I have had one of these for maybe seven years now, they have changed them once or twice since I bought mine and they are more expensive now.  I did need it for some one carry-on bag work travel to Africa and Middle East and it worked out fine.  Helped my carry on bag pass the Lufthansa agent's rigorous tape measure and scale tests in Cairo:

https://shop.bluffworks.com/collections/performance-blazers

(Just to be clear all other things equal I am a one carry on bag person, not a three steamer trunk with 10 pair of shoes person!)

stan01,  On our most recent Seabourn cruise (June of this year), we packed as lightly as possible--a carry on bag for each of us and one 48 lb bag  (for the two of us) shipped with Luggage Forward.  Did we have everything to wear that we would have liked?  No!  Did we make it through the 14 day cruise appropriately dressed and meeting every dress code?  Yes, we did.  I do think that packing light (with mostly small carry ons) is the wave of the future. We just have to pack smarter and  better.  I'm still learning.  

Edited by SLSD

28 minutes ago, SLSD said:

stan01,  On our most recent Seabourn cruise (June of this year), we packed as lightly as possible--a carry on bag for each of us and one 48 lb bag  (for the two of us) shipped with Luggage Forward.  Did we have everything to wear that we would have liked?  No!  Did we make it through the 14 day cruise appropriately dressed and meeting every dress code?  Yes, we did.  I do think that packing light (with mostly small carry ons) is the wave of the future. We just have to pack smarter and  better.  I'm still learning.  

I think that's a great idea especially when there are connecting flights.  I hate to say I have trust issues with airlines -- but I do! We have a nonstop from Southern California to Miami in November so less worried about the airline losing the checked bag.  However, summer 2024 we have 8 days in London followed by 13 days on QM2 Queens Grill so we'll need attire to support 4 formal nights and 9 coat/suit nights plus variable English and North Atlantic weather (cool, warm, wind, rain).  I'm afraid we might have more than 20 lbs just in shoes.  We'll see if we can arrange White Star (Cunard title for Luggage Forward) on that cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stan01 said:

I think that's a great idea especially when there are connecting flights.  I hate to say I have trust issues with airlines -- but I do! We have a nonstop from Southern California to Miami in November so less worried about the airline losing the checked bag.  However, summer 2024 we have 8 days in London followed by 13 days on QM2 Queens Grill so we'll need attire to support 4 formal nights and 9 coat/suit nights plus variable English and North Atlantic weather (cool, warm, wind, rain).  I'm afraid we might have more than 20 lbs just in shoes.  We'll see if we can arrange White Star (Cunard title for Luggage Forward) on that cruise.

We had definite trust issues with airlines and shorter than comfortable connection times.  We were too frugal to ship two 50 lb bags, so we just sent one for the two of us.  It worked out fine--especially for my husband.  I think men can pack fewer things (even though their items are more bulky).  In the final analysis, it  worked for us--and relieved a lot of stress and worry about the possibility of bags not arriving. We also both packed our carry ons to be adequate for the entire 14 day cruise even if our shipped bag did not arrive.  

How funny this thread is. People pay many thousands for a cruise, extra to ship luggage (which incidentally I hear can just as easily be ‘misplaced’) but baulk at and extra £1/200 for a suit😂.

When the cruise is done its done, but buy a suit and you still have it for the next cruise, wedding, funeral etc.

Edited by Dunnedg

3 hours ago, Dunnedg said:

How funny this thread is. People pay many thousands for a cruise, extra to ship luggage (which incidentally I hear can just as easily be ‘misplaced’) but baulk at and extra £1/200 for a suit😂.

When the cruise is done its done, but buy a suit and you still have it for the next cruise, wedding, funeral etc.

Same thing with a tuxedo.