Sendai town shuttles?

BNguy

Hello all,

We will be doing the Vancouver-Tokyo cruise on RSSC's Explorer this September.  I've been able to figure out most of the ports in Japan but Sendai (which is the one before we reach Yokohama) is difficult.  Not many cruise lines go there and after doing some investigation it appears that the cruise terminal is not near the town are of Sendai.  Does anyone here know if Regent will provide a shuttle to get us into town?  I realize that not many people may know, but I needed to ask.  Yes, I've checked the Asia board, with no results, and I've done a fair amount of research, but nothing I read seems to indicate if there is a shuttle.

Many thanks for your attention.

BNguy

We did the reverse in May. (You are doing it in the right direction. Losing all those hours was brutal, one hour a number of nights, and 2 hours one night. Ugh.)

I saved our Passages. There was a shuttle from the pier (we were at Takamatsu Pier 2) to Sendai Rifu Aeon Mall. The disclaimer in Passages was that the shuttle should be used as a supplement to available local transportation such as taxis. We were on a tour so we did not use the shuttle.

We were in Sendai in April 2019.  The shuttle from the Port was to Mitsui Outlet Park. Time was 10-20 minutes each way.  There disclaimer was that traffic conditions could impact the time.  Nothing about no using in place of local transportation.  We were docked at Takamatsu Pier 2.

Apr 29 2019 Passages.pdf

BNguy:

Nothing much more to add to the above.  Same experience.  

Otherwise--see you at Vancouver, B.C. on September 20th--if not before at Regent's assigned hotel. 

GOARMY!

18 hours ago, travlr21 said:

We did the reverse in May. (You are doing it in the right direction. Losing all those hours was brutal, one hour a number of nights, and 2 hours one night. Ugh.)

I have a different view on the direction.  Yes we will lose lots of hours but we gain a full day crossing the date line west to east.  Westbound they gain additional hours but they lose a day.  Also, September is in the middle of typhoon season around Japan; I much prefer Japanese springtime.  

Just my two yen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Yes we will lose lots of hours but we gain a full day crossing the date line west to east.

Understood, but while we had 18 sleeps on the cruise we received 17 reward nights. The full day gained did not count. 😞

Thanks for all for your replies.  I've also asked my TA, didn't really get anywhere there either.  But the replies here at least have given me some hope.  I'd rather get to near a subway or rail station so I can further explore the way I like to do, but we shall see.

GOARMY, good to see someone else on this journey, it will be our first time in Japan and we both are looking forward to it and also meeting up with you.

BNguy

BNguy:  

There are a lot of folks signed up for this September-October '23 segment.  Suggest you visit Explorer's Roll Call.  151 entries so-far.  We are now on the 7th page of comments from folks with a lot of experience during previous visits to Japan.  Plus, what to anticipate re:  weather conditions while en route, and such.  

GOARMY!