Was Royal the Right Choice?

We've been on 10 cruises over the years on a few different lines.  We recently booked our first cruise on Royal.  Their web site and communication process seems to be less than user friendly.  A few examples, we decided to change our dining preference.  Can't do it without a call to Royal and getting a little run around from the agent.  Still haven't seen any luggage tags or other documents.  The web site just says no documents available at this time.  We purchased vacation protection from Royal at the time we booked but can't find any detail or coverage contracts on the web site.  We wanted to modify our boarding time and Royal basically says "tough luck".  We have no status in Royal's cruise club but we did book the Royal Suite on the Mariner.  You would at least think they could be a little helpful.  So far, not so much.

Seems like everything on their web site is directed at trying to get you to purchase some kind of add on and is not designed to provide any passenger assistance or information at all.

Maybe the actual cruise will be better but so far, I'm starting to wonder.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, travler27 said:

We've been on 10 cruises over the years on a few different lines.  We recently booked our first cruise on Royal.  Their web site and communication process seems to be less than user friendly.  A few examples, we decided to change our dining preference.  Can't do it without a call to Royal and getting a little run around from the agent.  Still haven't seen any luggage tags or other documents.  The web site just says no documents available at this time.  We purchased vacation protection from Royal at the time we booked but can't find any detail or coverage contracts on the web site.  We wanted to modify our boarding time and Royal basically says "tough luck".  We have no status in Royal's cruise club but we did book the Royal Suite on the Mariner.  You would at least think they could be a little helpful.  So far, not so much.

Seems like everything on their web site is directed at trying to get you to purchase some kind of add on and is not designed to provide any passenger assistance or information at all.

Maybe the actual cruise will be better but so far, I'm starting to wonder.

You don't state the ship or date of your cruise, but here are some helpful facts.

Check in is available at 45 days pre-cruise.  Luggage tags are available 30 days pre-cruise.

If you booked your cruise yourself, either on the phone or on the website, you DO need to call to make modifications.  Sometimes dining times fill up.  However, since you will have the services of the suite concierge, you can use her/his services to modify your dining times.

I found this easily on the RC website:  Royal Caribbean Travel Protection Program (archinsurancesolutions.com)

• Like 3

What other cruise lines have you been on?  If you are trying to compare Royal against Cunard or Oceania, you are probably going to be disappointed.  If you are comparing them against other mass market and mid tier lines, you have nothing to worry about.  

Cruise is on the Mariner on 8/26/23 out of Canaveral.  I guess my main point was that I seem to be unable to find the appropriate information from any Royal source.  Thank goodness for the experts on CruiseCritic.  Seems Royal could do better.

Our last cruise was in a Haven suite on NCL.  They contacted me within days of booking and provided me with a single source contact for all my needs.  About the only answer I got from them on any topic was "tell us what you want and we'll make it happen".  Maybe my expectations are unreasonable.

We'll see soon.  Hoping for a pleasant surprise.

17 minutes ago, travler27 said:

Cruise is on the Mariner on 8/26/23 out of Canaveral.  I guess my main point was that I seem to be unable to find the appropriate information from any Royal source.  Thank goodness for the experts on CruiseCritic.  Seems Royal could do better.

Our last cruise was in a Haven suite on NCL.  They contacted me within days of booking and provided me with a single source contact for all my needs.  About the only answer I got from them on any topic was "tell us what you want and we'll make it happen".  Maybe my expectations are unreasonable.

Ok.  The Haven is a ship within a ship concept where they cater to you with a butler and concierge.  The closest you would get to that on Royal is the Star Class cabins.  In terms of non-haven NCL and Royal, they are really similar.  If you had a good time outside the bubble of the the Haven, you will be perfectly fine on Royal.  NCL's pre-cruise communication for non Haven customers is also a mess at times.  

Edit: I just saw you mentioned you are in the Royal Suite.  While its not Star Class with the Royal Genie, its still catering to what the cruiser wants/needs so you will be fine. 

Edited by Liljo22

Thanks.  Probably my fault for not researching a little more before booking.  I just assumed the best on NCL and the best on Royal would be similar.  Lesson learned.  🙂  The Royal schedule just happened to be the one that worked out best at the time.

We fully intend to enjoy ourselves regardless.  👍

19 minutes ago, travler27 said:

Thanks.  Probably my fault for not researching a little more before booking.  I just assumed the best on NCL and the best on Royal would be similar.  Lesson learned.  🙂  The Royal schedule just happened to be the one that worked out best at the time.

We fully intend to enjoy ourselves regardless.  👍

As mentioned above, Star Class on an Oasis or Quantum class ship is more equivalent to Haven on NCL.  On the older ships, the Royal Suite is a nice big cabin with a piano and a concierge that will help on board with issues.  The concierge will reach out to you about a week before your cruise to see if you need or want anything.  

2 hours ago, travler27 said:

Oh, so you were the one that booked the Royal Suite on our cruise.  I was hoping to get our Royal Up from a Grand Suite to the Royal Suite for this cruise. 😁 I know it is frustrating when you try a new cruise line.  Since you are in the Royal Suite your concierge will take extra good care of you.  The concierge will email all of the suite guests about a week ahead of the cruise and introduce themselves and detail suite benefits and ask you if you have any questions or concerns.  Unless you are part of a large group, dining set up is easily changed by the concierge.  Suites can board whenever they want.  Your boarding pass with say "suite" so they know you are allowed to be flexible.  Documents and luggage tags become available approx. a month out.  You should be notified by e-mail and/or app notification when they are available.  Someone has already posted the link to the travel protection program.  We cruised on the Mariner last year in a suite and enjoyed ourselves so much that we booked this cruise, also.  The ship is older and doesn't have the private suite restaurant, but we really enjoyed the suite lounge with free drinks and evening snacks while watching the sunset.  There is a good roll call group on the social media platform that can't be named.  They are very helpful and will answer your questions.  Hope you do enjoy your cruise and hope to meet you in the suite lounge!  

• Like 1