QM2 - Please describe a sheltered balcony

katybird

Sorry to revive an older thread.  I am looking to book one of the Caribbean 35 night cruises in 20245 - either January or March.  My travel agent has offered a special deal on a sheltered balcony with all grades tte same price.  As transatlantic in winter will be involved this seems a good option?  Regarding position and deck are there any preferences to bear in mind when choosing? I am very familiar with the Queen but have never sailed in a sheltered balcony.  I will be accompanied by my husband who has never sailed on Queen Mary 2, his only Cunard trip being on Queen Elizabeth and in September next year on Queen Anne.  Budget is a consideration in our choice - we have also been offered an obstructed view with automatic upgrade to the top grade sheltered.

Thank you.

Guest SilverHengroen
3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry to revive an older thread.  I am looking to book one of the Caribbean 35 night cruises in 20245 - either January or March.  My travel agent has offered a special deal on a sheltered balcony with all grades tte same price.  As transatlantic in winter will be involved this seems a good option?  Regarding position and deck are there any preferences to bear in mind when choosing? I am very familiar with the Queen but have never sailed in a sheltered balcony.  I will be accompanied by my husband who has never sailed on Queen Mary 2, his only Cunard trip being on Queen Elizabeth and in September next year on Queen Anne.  Budget is a consideration in our choice - we have also been offered an obstructed view with automatic upgrade to the top grade sheltered.

Thank you.

I've had a few sailings in them. Depending on exactly what you want out of a balcony, and how tolerant of heat and direct sun they could be an ideal option or a compromise. If you want to sit out on the balcony and eat while enjoying the view, that's not going to be possible in one of these rooms due to the steel bulkhead. You'll need to stand to enjoy the view (though at least you can see out, I'll come back to that). That's probably the extent of the downsides really. On warm weather sailings you'll have access to private shaded outdoor space, which could well be more useful than full sun somewhere like the Caribbean where it can feel intense (particularly if you're from the Salisbury in England!). 

Deck 5 is the favourite in general (cabins above and below) and midships as always has less motion if that's a concern. I personally didn't have any issues on deck 6, but I have heard some are sensitive to noise from the promenade deck above. Other than that it's the generic like not being across from laundrettes, etc.

As you say, for the Atlantic they are the ideal accommodation, and you should be able to use the outdoor space regardless of weather conditions. Given you've said budget is a consideration, the cost to upgrade to a deck 8 or 11 glazed balcony is probably not worth it from my perspective. I'd also take a sheltered over an obstructed view 9 times out of 10, being able to see out is worth the small cost differential I would say, unless it's a crossing where there's not going to be much scenery to look at. If your offer makes them the same price it's an easy decision. 

I love a sheltered balcony and for an Atlantic crossing a definite win. I crossed both ways in August this year. On the outward. It was so windy the outside decks were closed for several days. It was not cold so I enjoyed sitting in my balcony. I did even get some sun. They are considerable bigger than a normal balcony. I have been on deck 4 and 5 . 4 midships would be first choice for Atlantic and I understand the Caribbean can be lively too but as I have never been I can only go by what I have been told. 

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

As transatlantic in winter will be involved this seems a good option?  Regarding position and deck are there any preferences to bear in mind when choosing?

Any transatlantic crossing works well in Sheltered in my opinion, since unless you get really lucky mid summer there is a fair chance that particularly heading to the Americas it will be difficult to enjoy an open balcony. Wind,cold, fog or rain will make it difficult to do more than pop outside when QM2 is at speed. Sheltered, well you can just about use the balcony any time even in a storm.

Because of the fairly standard layout of Sheltereds I'm not convinced there is much difference between them and never quite understood the sometimes marked cost differentials between Mid and say Aft. Depending on exact sailing there may be arguments for port versus starboard side, so for example if NYC is on the circuit from Southampton then a port side arguably gets the best views in New York. But if it's a good view then you are going to pop up to deck 7 anyway I would have thought?

To point out the contrary argument, when you get to the Caribbean and assuming you get some good weather and QM2 isn't going at top speed (she usually slows down a lot between islands then an open balcony really does add some magic on a warm sunset, where perhaps a sheltered balcony won't cut the mustard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 11:09 AM, Underwatr said:

...I've traveled above Deck 7 and below, but give me a sheltered balcony on Deck 5 forward any day.

That's exactly why I chose cabin 5023 over many others available on our upcoming Fremantle to Sydney voyage. I WANT to feel the pitching of the ship, I want to look over the balcony and see ocean, I want to hear the bow wave.

I am relatively new to cruising though, first time on QM2 so I might come to regret my choice of cabin.

2 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

That's exactly why I chose cabin 5023 over many others available on our upcoming Fremantle to Sydney voyage. I WANT to feel the pitching of the ship, I want to look over the balcony and see ocean, I want to hear the bow wave.

I am relatively new to cruising though, first time on QM2 so I might come to regret my choice of cabin.

We feel the same way about ship’s motion etc. And we are not new to QM2. We’ll board soon and occupy 5044. I doubt either we or you will regret the choice. Happy Sailing!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

Deck 5 forward (booking grade BZ if you can find reference - I believe 5023 is in BZ) is ideal for the elements you mention. Also the minimum of ship machinery noise aside from the rattle of the anchor being dropped in a tender port.

• Thanks 1