Cancel 2nd passenger vs. no-show?

56 minutes ago, soremekun said:

The answer to the FAQ says "a paid single guest supplement to cruise fare".  Does that appear as a line item on the invoice?

I’m not sure because of the 20+ cruises I booked I didn’t know which ones he would be able to go on. I have only booked a solo once and I don’t remember. Sorry.

What it sounds like to me is that Royal assumes that each person paid for themselves even if it was only one of them (or someone else) who paid the entire fare. If one passenger no-shows, their part of the fare is forfeited so in Royal's eyes, the one who showed paid their half and not the single supplement. Regardless, they made the money of the 2nd guest, I don't see why they can't just give the passenger that showed up the extra point. Maybe there is a reason that I am missing? 

1 hour ago, Tangibelle said:

What it sounds like to me is that Royal assumes that each person paid for themselves even if it was only one of them (or someone else) who paid the entire fare. If one passenger no-shows, their part of the fare is forfeited so in Royal's eyes, the one who showed paid their half and not the single supplement. Regardless, they made the money of the 2nd guest, I don't see why they can't just give the passenger that showed up the extra point. Maybe there is a reason that I am missing? 

Royal wants more bodies on the ship because a sizable amount of revenue comes from onboard spend.  The cruise fare is just one component.  A second guest also pays the daily service charge that goes towards compensation for some positions.  

Because of this there are often some fares that are cheaper for two to book and these are sometimes unavailable for a solo to book.  GTY fares sometimes are unavailable for solo to book.  

Royal would rather motivate you to find a friend or family to go in their place so that person can spend money on board.  They don't want to promote the idea of booking a fake guest to take advantage of lower fares that are there to put people on the ship.  A ship full of solo cruisers would lose a lot of money.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal wants more bodies on the ship because a sizable amount of revenue comes from onboard spend.  The cruise fare is just one component.  A second guest also pays the daily service charge that goes towards compensation for some positions.  

Because of this there are often some fares that are cheaper for two to book and these are sometimes unavailable for a solo to book.  GTY fares sometimes are unavailable for solo to book.  

Royal would rather motivate you to find a friend or family to go in their place so that person can spend money on board.  They don't want to promote the idea of booking a fake guest to take advantage of lower fares that are there to put people on the ship.  A ship full of solo cruisers would lose a lot of money.  

Ah! Thanks @twangster. I knew there had to be something more to it. 

10 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

And that is what I said.

"Daughter sailing would get 1 point per day (+1 if booked a junior suite or higher) if sister no shows."

Apparently I was incorrect regarding the extra point if the sister cancels.

You also added “If sister cancels, daughter would get an extra point per day for solo.  However, I don't recall whether the cancellation will result in a reprice of the cabin at the current solo rate.”

Daughter wouldn’t get 2 points if sister cancels since it would still be a booking for 2. If sister cancels and the cruise is rebooked as a solo, then daughter will get 2 points.

I think the info regarding points, pricing, etc has been well discussed.  I will add additional info regarding excursions, pre-cruise purchases, etc based on our experience last April.

Due to a family illness and ultimate death during our cruise), my DH decided to skip our cruise three days prior to sailing.  I went on the cruise since we were sailing with a group of friends.  I called the cruise line three days prior to see if I could cancel his excursion and drink package upgrade so those amounts wouldn't get mixed with port fees/taxes when refunds arrived.  I was told that the excursion and drink upgrade could not be refunded since the account was locked because we were within 72 hrs of sailing and that those refunds would be generated automatically when he simple did not show up.

The refunds for the excursion and drink upgrade were complicated because they were partially paid with OBC and the balance by CC.  I was told that I should check in to the shore excursion desk regarding cancelling the excursion and guest services for the drink upgrade refunds asap after boarding.  Both desks told be that since the purchases were made "shoreside", they could not generate any refunds.  So taking their advice, I booked a spa appointment to use the OBC which would be refunded (not the type of OBC that would be refunded at the end of the cruise) and figured that everything would wash in the end.

Well, the OBC was not refunded prior to the end of the 7 days cruise and since it was not refundable, it was a total loss.  I ended up having to pay for the spa appointment (which I never would have booked if not using non-refundable OBC) in full and received a small refund for port fees, taxes, and a portion of the drink package.  The prepaid gratuities were also held by the cruise line.

As instructed by guest services, I called the cruise line after returning home to see if the amount charged to my onboard account could be blended with the refund of OBC.  I was told no.

So...cancel anything extras that you may have purchased for your daughter asap.

• Like 1

I wanted to book a solo cruise but the website indicated “sold out” but I could book for 2 passengers. I called Royal and asked if I could make a booking for 1.  They charged me as if I was booking for 2 minus the port fees and taxes for the second passenger which is the same as if I had booked for 2 with a no show second passenger. The bonus is I get the double points. It does pay to call. I had to call twice. The first agent said no but I was lucky on the second call.