Women--how do you carry your belongings?

embradley

I have a good sized belt bag, some people call them fanny packs, for when we get off the ship. At night aboard the ship I carry a small purse I can loop over my neck for my room card, makeup and camera. On beach days off ship I have a large beach and I make my husband carry it!

Hey yall! Im starting to pack for my cruise *Majesty 3/25* and was wondering how do the Ladies carry all of their belongings? I didnt want to carry my purse around on the ship...I really didnt want to wear the lanyard around the neck. I was thinking that I should bring a "beach bag" on the sea days to carry around with water, sun tan lotion, brush, makeup...the usual things. How do you carry things for excursions? Port days? Im a "makeup kinda girl" and have to have my foundation & powder with me at ALL times. I saw the wallet type pouches that hooks to the inside of your belt loop and that looked good for my cards & money..what about everything else? Thanks yall!:D

I wear the dreaded fanny pack. If we're planning on shopping when ashore, I bring a tote bag...if we weren't planning on shopping but end up doing so, I usually buy a tote bag to use, then give as a souvenier when we return. Best of luck to you!

thanks everyone for the tips!! its my first cruise and i just had no clue...since i do have to carry around lots of stuff with me at all times!:rolleyes:

you can get a waterproof lanyard with plastic case for ports with water destinations which will hold CC, $$, cruise ID and even lipstick :D

I hate carrying anything other than when I board my flight. I bought a ladies vest from Magellan's and I load it up. I don't carry make-up, but if I did, it would go into one of the many pockets. I like the security of the vest - pockets zip, snap, velcro or are inside the vest.

I want my hands free to shop, eat, do whatever.

When I pack or shop for travelwear, I try to find clothes that have a pocket to hold my keycard. If I don't have any pockets, I give my keycard to my husband, and that's that.

As for make-up... heeheee all of it has been permanently applied.

Well I pretty much have it down to a science... lol.... around the ship, I have a lanyard around my neck with my card.. It's the easiest thing ever... nothing to carry...

When in port, I just about always have my camera.. It's a digital rebel and I take my camera bag... So I have it if I need to carry anything.. But I put my $$, C.C. in my pockets.... Whether it's shorts or pants, I always have pockets... That way no one can steal my stuff without getting rather friendly, which by then, I'm not friendly and they are in serious pain.....:D

For the beach or pool, it's my netted beach bag... The sand falls right through it and it can carry my sunblock, book, water,etc.... Works pretty well....

I use a backpack style purse for port days, and while on the ship I use a lanyard. This last cruise was the first time I had used the lanyard and while it might look a little "dippy" (DH's technical term) it sure was handy!

I almost always have camera in hand, and just carry it on its own.

Have fun!

Hikini:D

3 months and 2 days until the STAR!!!!:p

I've heard several people mention a lanyard. What exactly is this?

Ladies, for those of us who wear the "fanny" pack, ( and I have a big one......fanny and pack:o !) here is a safety tip. Be sure and thread the strap through a belt loop on your shorts. Harder to unhook and steal in a crowded place. If they do get unhooked, it will get caught on the loop. Try it:)

I have small bag that has a long strap that is made of a microfiber. It is called a "ditty bag" I think that Columbia makes it.

It is the perfect bag for my ship card, digital camera,lip balm and money for shopping in port. It can hook onto your belt too.

I have enough of my own "fannny" to stap on a fanny pack:D

... The backpack purse combos are a pickpocket's dream.

Hi, carlalena,

Was wondering why these are more pickpocket-prone than plain old purses or plain old backpacks? I was thinking of buying one and would love the input. Thanks in advance.

When I am snorkeling I always use a hip/belly pack. All I need is my drivers license and ship ID and maybe a credit card and whatever cash I may need. It may get wet but it all will dry and better that than lost. I actually keep that hip pack in the bag with my snorkel gear.

found em on ebay of course http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Waterproof-Bumbag-For-Phones-Keys-Wallets-etc_W0QQitemZ7218652421QQcategoryZ36159QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi, carlalena,

Was wondering why these are more pickpocket-prone than plain old purses or plain old backpacks? I was thinking of buying one and would love the input. Thanks in advance.

I think they are just as vulnerable to theft as plain old backpacks are. It's just that most people don't put their ID and money in a backpack, they put it in a purse or pocket. A thief can lift all he wants out of your backpack without you seeing or feeling a thing.

A purse that you wear at your side is less prone to pickpocketing because the thief would be seen by you and probably felt by you. He would have to create a diversion or bump into you and act fast. If your valuables are behind your back he can take his sweet time...

I think they are just as vulnerable to theft as plain old backpacks are. It's just that most people don't put their ID and money in a backpack, they put it in a purse or pocket. A thief can lift all he wants out of your backpack without you seeing or feeling a thing.

A purse that you wear at your side is less prone to pickpocketing because the thief would be seen by you and probably felt by you. He would have to create a diversion or bump into you and act fast. If your valuables are behind your back he can take his sweet time...

I see, Carla. I was thinking that you meant they were even more prone to theft than backpacks. Thanks!

I use a straw bag that I got at Wal-Mart for like $5. I had it for about 3 years and never used it. On my cruise last year I finally took it with me and it was great. It hangs on one shoulder and zips close. It looks small but can hold soooo much stuff! I have a 10-yr old so I have lots of stuff to carry. Hubby carries a regular canvas backpack. Usually we take our own snorkel masks and snorkels so he puts them in his bag. When we go in the water we have one of those waterproof plastic boxes on a lanyard. Have never, ever had anyone (except some gypsies once in Rome and once in Florence) try to steal from us and we have been all over the world! We use the room safe for any valuables we don't carry with us.

Archived