One more reason to choose Seabourn over Silversea

commodoredave

1 hour ago, markham said:

While we’re talking about who pays what for dining on different cruise lines, does anyone know how much the TK Grill outposts on Seabourn cost the line and how their obviously high costs are offset? I am thinking that these “free” TKG restaurants on the classic ships operate to the detriment of the MDR, Earth and Ocean, and Colonnade. Another way of looking at this is to ask why Seabourn does not invest more in these three outlets than they can do now with the weight of TKG expenditures dragging things down. 

So that might round out the discussion of why the MDR sponsors $250 pp dinners inclusive of fancy wines.

I have thought a bit about it myself when I determined that our first quarter 2023 Colonnade lunches on Quest were downright cheap and mournful, and the MDR lunches were extremely limited as well, sadly based on the same few courses found not only at the Colonnade but Patio lunches: think black bean soup, hake, and chili con carne at all of them on one date that was absurdly ridiculous but also indicative of poor quality and thoughtless catering. And believe it our not on the same day we suffered the Mexican themed stuff the Sojourn endured the same menu. Why? Had both ships run out of all other provisions?

Back to the question, I believe the TKG concept has run its course anyway, and the expenses question may be more pressing now than ever. One idea is to get rid of it, share the budget fully, offer up steaks and chops in the MDR, and use the space for a high end Italian or Asian concept restaurant.

And moving over to Silversea, we can question how and why they make a surcharge for dinner at Kaiseki and La Dame. I found the former on Silver Dawn very poor value since the meal was a hodge podge of a bland presentation (fusion?) not at all resembling a Japanese meal. I refused to pay. (This contrasted with Silver Muse whose Kaiseki has a good teppanyaki, well worth the upcharge.)

About La Dame at $60 on Muse and Dawn, I thought it was a treat, and it was largely. What interfered with the ambiance, frankly speaking, were some of the other diners’ raucous behaviors, more befitting a sports bar. Which kinda spoiled it. So not sure that the premium is “entirely” worth it - although the food, decor and service certainly were.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Markham,  I always value your observations and opinions because I have read them for a number of years here on Cruise Critic  AND I have met you in person and had a discussion or two.   Your long voyage on Quest last year (or was it earlier this year?) sounds like it was very poor indeed.  I don't blame you a bit for being very very down on Seabourn.  I would be the same, I am sure.  AND, all of your suggestions are good ones.  Seabourn should hire you as a consultant--or, at the very least, listen to what you have to say. 

I am happy to report that our lunches in The Restaurant in June on Ovation were among my favorite meals on our cruise.  I have no way of knowing if they were derivative of what was being offered in the Colonnade at the same time.  I am STILL thinking about the Mongolian Beef wok cooked  entree I was served.  It was that good!  I will add that the enjoyment of food (at least for me) is always enhanced by the atmosphere.  While I enjoy dining on the veranda of the Colonnade, I can not stand dining indoors there and haven't dined indoors there (except for one evening) for a number of cruises.  While the menu was short in The Restaurant for lunch during our cruise in June on Ovation, it was NOT as short as the menu offered at lunch in the Colonnade---AND it changed daily, which the menu in the Colonnade  (paper menu from which you order) does not.  

I agree with you also about the TK Grill.  We have had some good meals there---on Ovation, Encore and on Sojourn.  Some of the service  there has been obsequious.  No need for that on a Seabourn cruise.  In fact, I cringe a bit when the service is like that.  All that is required is proper friendly service.  Not hovering service or overly formal service. The food has always been ok in the TK Grill --except for a terribly over salted roasted chicken and a VERY mustardy Caesar Salad.  All that being said, who needs a branded restaurant?  Why should Seabourn be paying for that?  I agree that the money expended on Thomas Keller could be divided among the other venues to improve them.   Why not just serve exceptional food?  I would love to see the TK Grill become an Italian restaurant of superior quality--no high profile chef's name needed.  I would prefer Italian over Asian as I think it is easier to please more people with Italian.  Or, bring in true Asian chefs--Thai, Japanese, or Chinese and have a go at it.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

Thank you for the kind words and support. I am just trying to make sense of what so see through the eyes of others who may see more than I do.

What Seabourn has lacked sorely in the past several months is a consistently remarkable product and a credible public persona/image after some years of slippage, IMO. Until, of course, they can remodel what they can of these older ships.

We shall see.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, markham said:

Thank you for the kind words and support. I am just trying to make sense of what so see through the eyes of others who may see more than I do.

What Seabourn has lacked sorely in the past several months is a consistently remarkable product and a credible public persona/image after some years of slippage, IMO. Until, of course, they can remodel what they can of these older ships.

We shall see.

I find it disconcerting that Mr. SLSD and I were told in no uncertain terms that The Restaurant was going to be open at breakfast and lunch every day on EVERY ship.  It was indeed open for these meals everyday on our cruise on Ovation.  And, then I hear that this is not the case on other ships--and perhaps not on Ovation.  

I have eaten in La Dame and Kaiseki on Silver Dawn and at $60 and $40 respectively they were fair to poor value. Imagine when I saw the price increases for Silver Nova!! The $80 for Kaiseki admittedly includes some fancy drinks, but La Dame's new price doesn't.

This is ridiculous gouging and you need to be super rich or just stupid to pay these prices. $320 for two is well into Michelin Star territory ashore and don't kid yourselves Silversea, La Dame wouldn't make any Michelin list.

This news actually soured my view on Silversea and took away the edge of my excitement about my upcoming trip. This would never have happened before Royal Caribbean bought the line. I hope sensible cruisers vote with their feet and these restaurants now prove hard to fill. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Lascellesman said:

I have eaten in La Dame and Kaiseki on Silver Dawn and at $60 and $40 respectively they were fair to poor value. Imagine when I saw the price increases for Silver Nova!! The $80 for Kaiseki admittedly includes some fancy drinks, but La Dame's new price doesn't.

This is ridiculous gouging and you need to be super rich or just stupid to pay these prices. $320 for two is well into Michelin Star territory ashore and don't kid yourselves Silversea, La Dame wouldn't make any Michelin list.

This news actually soured my view on Silversea and took away the edge of my excitement about my upcoming trip. This would never have happened before Royal Caribbean bought the line. I hope sensible cruisers vote with their feet and these restaurants now prove hard to fill. 

I was looking at photos of Nova in another forum and I cannot figure out why the designers chose the carpet in that restaurant. There were several things that put us off from booking a Silversea cruise.  I was pursuing it and even got numbers from our travel agent.  For one thing--we can take a 28 day cruise on Seabourn for only three thousand more than a 14 day cruise on Silversea.  It's not all about the dollars, but IS about getting out of the summer heat in our state for as long as possible.  We don't rule out a Silversea cruise in the future, but it won't be next summer. 

On 8/3/2023 at 12:16 PM, SLSD said:

All that being said, who needs a branded restaurant?  Why should Seabourn be paying for that? 

I agree. Maybe they could call it "No Name" Bistro, or perhaps "Generic" Trattoria! 😂

Edited by commodoredave
typo