St Croix - exploring without an excursion?

britincanada

Hello,

We have a day in St Croix in November, and all of the excursions available from our cruise line (Virgin) sold out within 3 days!

Is St Croix a port where we can disembark and easily walk to do a little local sightseeing? I see we will disembark at Frederiksted Pier.

We haven't been to St Croix before, and had planned to do a sightseeing trip through Virgin - but I'm hoping it's a port that we can maybe explore a little on our own?

We're not too confident with booking excursions outside of the cruise line.

Any suggestions / info / advice is much appreciated!

Thank you!

You will see a lot more if you rent a car.  Book rental cars as soon as you can on St. Croix to get one from the location by the ship's pier.  Otherwise, you will have to take a $30/way taxi to the airport to pick one up.  There is a lot to see and enjoy on the island but buy the rental insurance for theft and vandalism.  When me sister lived there they had their cars broken into several times at various beaches across the island.  They do drive on the left and since you are a Brit you should be able to make the switch easily.  The last time I was there before she moved Frederickstead didn't have a ton to offer and you need a car or tour to see the best spots.

• Like 1

You can easily walk Frederiksberg, and also easily grab shared taxi across the island to Christensted  and walk through that town.

There are wonderful shops, an old sugar mill, a fort,  waterfront restaurants and bars over there. While not narrated, you'll see a good bit of the island on the trip over and back. Very easy and safe to do on your own. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2023 at 2:42 PM, sandinmyshoes said:

You will see a lot more if you rent a car.  Book rental cars as soon as you can on St. Croix to get one from the location by the ship's pier.  Otherwise, you will have to take a $30/way taxi to the airport to pick one up.  There is a lot to see and enjoy on the island but buy the rental insurance for theft and vandalism.  When me sister lived there they had their cars broken into several times at various beaches across the island.  They do drive on the left and since you are a Brit you should be able to make the switch easily.  The last time I was there before she moved Frederickstead didn't have a ton to offer and you need a car or tour to see the best spots.

I plan to rent a car next March when in port of Fredericksted. I've spent two holidays on St. Croix, each of which was a week long.  Renting a car will allow me to revisit some areas I'd like to see again. Now...

I'm curious about your comment that I need to book a rental early on if I want to get a car at the port.  Is there a website I can use to do that or simply choose the car rental company I want, and a car will be at the port when we arrive?