Airline Transfer at LHR Terminal 2

Texas Tillie

I will be arriving at London Heathrow terminal 2 on a United from Houston. Will transfer to a TAP Portugal (United code share) also at terminal 2 to Lisbon. Will I have to go through passport control, claim my luggage, check my luggage and go through security there or will my luggage be checked through to Lisbon and I'll just stay in a secure area at LHR and only do immigration at Lisbon? Thanks.

If you are travelling on a through ticket (one ticket number for the whole journey) then your bags will transfer at Heathrow without you seeing them.  You follow the purple signs for "flight connections" (do NOT follow the exit signs).  You go through a security check at the flight connections area then on to the gate for the TAP flight.

If you have separate tickets for the two flights then it is much more work, because you can be 99% sure that your bags won't be checked through.  You would then need to clear UK immigration, collect your bags, go to the check in area to drop bags at TAP then go back through security.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2023 at 2:16 AM, Island2Dweller said:

If you are travelling on a through ticket (one ticket number for the whole journey) then your bags will transfer at Heathrow without you seeing them.  You follow the purple signs for "flight connections" (do NOT follow the exit signs).  You go through a security check at the flight connections area then on to the gate for the TAP flight.

If you have separate tickets for the two flights then it is much more work, because you can be 99% sure that your bags won't be checked through.  You would then need to clear UK immigration, collect your bags, go to the check in area to drop bags at TAP then go back through security.

Thanks! One ticket so it should be easy peasy. Actually, it's an almost 4 hour connection and I'm in business class, so a stop at the club is in order before the gate.

4 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

business class, so a stop at the club is in order

There are four Star Alliance lounges in T2.  The United Club (and the Air Canada and Singapore Airlines lounges) are in the Satellite part of T2, which is about a 15 minute walk from the main part of the terminal.  Short haul flights (such as your onward flight to Lisbon) are likely to use the main part of T2, so you may find it more convenient to use the Lufthansa lounge in the main area of T2

• Like 1