Don't assume...read the information

59 minutes ago, Jt4428 said:

Yes if you have insurance and an immediate family member causes you to cancel they should reimburse you. They will just ask you for documentation.

I corrected this in post #74. You have to have cancellation as part of the Allianz policy.

1 hour ago, Jt4428 said:

Sorry. Allianz will only reimburse you for the cruise if  that policy has the cancellation coverage and the annual policies are limited on that.

Always best to read the terms and conditions of your actual policy, which vary depending on options, and choose one appropriate to your needs.

Yes, there are limitations on length of trip and total cancellation reimbursement cap per year.  You need to factor in if you have multiple trips  booked in suites, which are all paid in full or several inside cabins spread out so full payment hasn’t been made. Of course air, hotels etc will add to your costs. Also whether you have pre-existing conditions that would prevent or cause a problem if you had to insure them separately at a later date.

On 8/5/2023 at 3:43 PM, Babr said:

Depending on which policy one chooses, annual insurance offers little to no cancellation coverage. It does not work for everyone.

Not only that, if you purchase the lower coverage policies, you may only be able to cruise once during the year and be fully covered.  What do I mean?  If you purchase a policy that only offers let's say $70,000.00 repatriation coverage and you use it on your first cruise of the year for, say $60,000.00, you are only covered for the rest of the year with $10,000.00.  This means that you may need or want to purchase another policy to cover whatever may be needed during the rest of the policy year if you travel more than once during that policy year.  In that case, you didn't save any money with the annual coverage.  DISCLAIMER:  Yes, there are many different types of policies and different companies do different things.  But, all the annual policies that I've looked at do have a maximum amount they will pay out in the annual policy per event, not trip.

So, for convenience, knowing I'm covered, and other reasons, I just purchase the trip insurance that the cruise line offers or the TA offers.  

23 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Not only that, if you purchase the lower coverage policies, you may only be able to cruise once during the year and be fully covered.  What do I mean?  If you purchase a policy that only offers let's say $70,000.00 repatriation coverage and you use it on your first cruise of the year for, say $60,000.00, you are only covered for the rest of the year with $10,000.00.  This means that you may need or want to purchase another policy to cover whatever may be needed during the rest of the policy year if you travel more than once during that policy year.  In that case, you didn't save any money with the annual coverage.  DISCLAIMER:  Yes, there are many different types of policies and different companies do different things.  But, all the annual policies that I've looked at do have a maximum amount they will pay out in the annual policy per event, not trip.

So, for convenience, knowing I'm covered, and other reasons, I just purchase the trip insurance that the cruise line offers or the TA offers.  

Allianz annual only offers up to $15K a year cancellation. This is per policy per year. Once you hit that it's no longer valid. Only for medical and medical evacuation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jt4428 said:

Sorry. Allianz will only reimburse you for the cruise if  that policy has the cancellation coverage and the annual policies are limited on that.

We're taking Amtrak so no air.  

An annual plan is sounding pretty good.  The odds of us needing to use the insurance more than once per year is exceedingly small.
We have three trips planned next year, but only one cruise and it is the first.  We always drive.  I'll have to look at the price difference.  I had liked the 90% FCC for any reason with Royal's plan.  

20 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

An annual plan is sounding pretty good.  The odds of us needing to use the insurance more than once per year is exceedingly small.
We have three trips planned next year, but only one cruise and it is the first.  We always drive.  I'll have to look at the price difference.  I had liked the 90% FCC for any reason with Royal's plan.  

Make sure to read the details of the policy. When I looked into ones available in my state the medical/evacuation coverage was lower than single trip policies and below what I was comfortable with, so I will still go with insuring each trip for the medical.

• Like 1