Rum Cakes

BUGBUG62

There is or at least was a Tortuga rum cake "copy cat" recipe on-line. It uses Whaler's Vanilla rum. We use Cruzin's Vanilla rum. I had to modify the original recipe because it ran over!:eek: My son's favorite cake-demanded it for his birthday cake-17 year old! We actually like the home made one much better than the Tortuga rum cake. Took one back last year for comparison. Home made much better and we don't bother to bring Tortuga's back anymore.

I love to cook and collect recipes. Care to share your "modified" recipe with us? I'd really appreciate it! :)

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/29/Tortuga_Rum_Cake52792.shtml Found the recipe!! The problem I had with this recipe is that it was too runny/eggy and ran over. I think that four eggs is too many. Although it may have been that my eggs are too big. My changes were--2 cups regular flour (never buy cake flour) plus 2 TBLSP corn starch. 3 extra large eggs--maybe I should measure them in a cup to get the right amount. 2 TBLSP oil instead of 3 in the first step. 1/2 tsp instead of 1 tsp salt. And a little less than 1/2 cup oil in the final part of the recipe. I just made this cake and it turned out perfect. I love vanilla. Cruzan's rum is very very strong vanilla flavored. Make sure you use butter. I don't think this is as hard as it first appears. You can do the first step ahead (I just use a fork and mix until fairly fine crumbs) and dump in the rest of the ingredients later and mix well with a mixer. Here is a link for the rum I use. Use the vanilla version. http://cruzanrum.com/product-tropicals.html

in looking at the recipe and listening to your descriptions...I can't help but wonder how other flavored rums would taste. I picked up a few large bottles while in St. Maarten (to make drinks like we had on the boat and in Miami...and DARN IT, even if they give me the recipe, it jsut doesn't taste the SAME!) and needless to say, they are collecting dust in my cabinet. I have a mango, pineapple and coconut flavored rum (Cruzan). What do you think? :)

Cracklins!! Way off topic--how does rum cake lead to Cracklins? LOL This is funny--lets just say it is a biproduct of butchering pigs. OMG--go here at your own risk--http://www.deltablues.net/cracklin.html

There is or at least was a Tortuga rum cake "copy cat" recipe on-line. It uses Whaler's Vanilla rum. We use Cruzin's Vanilla rum. I had to modify the original recipe because it ran over!:eek: My son's favorite cake-demanded it for his birthday cake-17 year old! We actually like the home made one much better than the Tortuga rum cake. Took one back last year for comparison. Home made much better and we don't bother to bring Tortuga's back anymore.

I've been making a ton of rum cakes for special occasions and friends, using my Tortuga rums... I've made chocolate, traditional, coconut, and banana... they are fabulous. I modified a Paula Deen rum cake recipe... they are delish!! And yes, much better than the store bought ones!!!!

in looking at the recipe and listening to your descriptions...I can't help but wonder how other flavored rums would taste. I picked up a few large bottles while in St. Maarten (to make drinks like we had on the boat and in Miami...and DARN IT, even if they give me the recipe, it jsut doesn't taste the SAME!) and needless to say, they are collecting dust in my cabinet. I have a mango, pineapple and coconut flavored rum (Cruzan). What do you think? :)

That is what I do... I buy the flavored rums and use them in rum cakes. I have never used Cruzan, I only use Tortuga, but I'm sure it would be fine. The key is the glaze (rum and powdered sugar), and making enough to DRENCH the cake in. I poke holes all over the cake and make about 10 applications of the glaze... I do it over a drip pan, and just keep taking what drips and pouring it back over. It really makes them SO moist and delicious!!!!! The longer they sit, the better they are!!

OK...so YES I will buy a Rumcake. But I think I will do that Tortuga Rum Factory excursion & buy it there?? Any feedback on that? It would be frsh...I would hope..

Cracklins are fried pork rinds with some extra meat on 'em...yummy! It's like uncured slab bacon, cut up in squares & fried to a crisp w/cujun seasoning sprinkled on 'em.

From Texas/Louisiana...yep..A "TEX-COON"...lol..:D

OK...so YES I will buy a Rumcake. But I think I will do that Tortuga Rum Factory excursion & buy it there?? Any feedback on that? It would be frsh...I would hope..

Cracklins are fried pork rinds with some extra meat on 'em...yummy! It's like uncured slab bacon, cut up in squares & fried to a crisp w/cujun seasoning sprinkled on 'em.

From Texas/Louisiana...yep..A "TEX-COON"...lol..:D

Janis, we always go to the Tortuga shop near the pier in Grand Cayman... actually we stay there a while and "sample" the rum :D They also have samples of all the rum cakes. The cakes you purchase will be pre-packaged... you can buy a variety of sizes, plus they will have "sampler" packages that include small cakes in different flavors... some of them also include mini bottles of their rum..

Don't get me started on cracklins... or fat-back :p LOL!! They are a staple in the south!! :D

For the original rum cake, try the Bacardi's Rum Cake. Sooo very easy to make and they are delicious. Recipe should be easy to find online. I think it takes a half cup of rum.

Dawson, you hit it right on the head!:) I've been using that same Bacardi Rum Cake recipe for over 30 years! Nothing better....anywhere. I really soak it in rum.

Last month, I had to make three rum cakes for a fundraiser here, and I used Malibu Coconut Rum - turned out to be my best rum cakes ever.

Cotton, try the Tortuga Coconut rum!!!! I go through Malibu like it's juice, LOL... and used it for a rum cake last Summer because I didn't have any Tortuga, but used the Tortuga this winter and it was FABULOUS!!!!! I also added Godiva Chocolate Liquer... it was SOOOOO yummy!!!!

The rum cake I make is very similar to the Bacardi Rum cake... you use the cake mix and pudding mix, same amount of eggs and oil, same amount of walnuts or pecans, but you add 1/2C of buttermilk also, and omit the water. I also use more rum :D Then for the glaze it's the same... The buttermilk really adds something to it for me... but they are very similar.

Found the Bacardi rum cake recipe on-line. It is easier because it uses a cake mix. I have also used a cake mix but find the "from scratch" better--must be the butter LOL. One of the cake mix brands has a conversion to a bundt cake recipe (with pudding mix) right on the box. Have done a variation (using a chocolate cake mix) and Kaluha in the cake and soaking sauce. It was a hit!!

Dawson, I still have those same little OLD yellowed Bacardi recipe cards from the liquor store, with the tab at the top. I have two - one is for plain rum cake and the other is chocolate.:)

OMG - the Godiva choc must be fabulous in that cake.

Archived