Rum Cakes

BUGBUG62

When you arrive at Grand Caymen, just outside the gate at the port, there is a Torguga Rum Factory store. You can get all you want there at the same price at the factory. The hardest part of buying them is deciding which flavors to get! Get plenty and freeze them when you get home.

how long do they last? I have one thats been sitting here for quite a long time. lol

I'm afraid to eat it.:D

Bill

If it hasn't been opened yet (plastic wrap taken off), I would sure take a shot at it. Pop that sucker open, scrape off the mold and have a good time.

Mark T

Hey Bugs - The Torguga Rum Cakes in the ship's gift shop are usually put on sale the last evening of the cruise.

Buying them on the ship, you don't have to lug them around in port.:)

I always buy a package of them. There's like four/five mini-cakes in one large box. The good thing is that each cake is in it's own box - so you can give them as individual gifts.

BTW, my mom lives in Alex, and I was in Marksville at Paragon yesterday. Small world.

I like the rum cakes from Blackbeard's in Grand Cayman. They have more flavors than Tortuga, taste the same and are cheaper. There is a Blackbeard's store not far from where the cruise ships tender. Ask any native there and he/she can tell you exactly where it is.

We stayed in GC for a week a couple of years ago and sampled a lot of them. One of my favorites is the Peach cake. Yum!

They last about 6 months on the shelf and indefinitely in the fridge or freezer. They are quite a bit more expensive over the internet than on the ship or in the caymans. If you want to buy them on line the website is tortugaimports.com You can't buy the rum on line or anywhere in the states so stock up on your next cruise.

Hey Bugs - The Torguga Rum Cakes in the ship's gift shop are usually put on sale the last evening of the cruise.

Buying them on the ship, you don't have to lug them around in port.:)

I always buy a package of them. There's like four/five mini-cakes in one large box. The good thing is that each cake is in it's own box - so you can give them as individual gifts.

If I remember correctly, a sampler box of 6 cakes were about 26-27 dollars. I think it included 2 plain, 1 chocolate, 1 banana, 1 pineapple, and a lime cake. I may be wrong on the flavors. The cakes aren't large, about 4" in diameter but very dense. And if I'm not mistaken last a long time, they ARE soaked in rum!:rolleyes:

Q: What is the most popular flavor?A: The Original Golden Tortuga Rum Cake was first introduced in 1987 at restaurants in Grand Cayman. It remains our best selling flavor - though many of our customers have other personal favorites. In Florida, Key Lime is popular, and in other regions Banana, Chocolate, Coconut and Blue Mountain Coffee. This year we launched the Pineapple flavor and it already is enjoying growing popularity. Q: What other products do you offer?A: Tortuga offers a wide array of gourmet Caribbean products. Awards winning sauces include Caribbean Spicy Mango Pepper Sauce, Hell-Fire Hot Sauce, Jerk Sauce, Steak Sauce, Rum Bar-B-Que Sauce and Assorted Sauce Packs. Other choices include flavored Gourmet Coffees, three types of Rum Fudge, Truffles, Pepper Jelly, Citrus and Wildflower Honeys and other tropical treats and gift items. Q: What is the shelf life for a Tortuga Rum Cake?A: Because every cake is vacuum packed and heat sealed, they have a shelf life of 6 months. If refrigerated or frozen they will last indefinitely. Smart hostesses keep an extra Tortuga Rum Cake in the pantry or the freezer for emergency celebrations. Q: Does my cake need refrigeration?A: Once opened, refrigeration is recommended if the cake will not be consumed in one or two days (a very rare occurrence!) Q: How does it last 6 months without refrigeration?A: It is vacuum packed, and heat-sealed. Q: Are there preservatives in Tortuga Rum Cakes?A: The preservative is the five-year old, oak-barrel aged special Tortuga Rum that is used in every cake.

I was just going to say, they ought to last a while since they're already pickled!:D They are yummy...thought I was going to have to lure DH out of the Factory store. Couldn't find him, and there he was, grazing at the sample table! He was a happy little camper too~;)

That's another something to trade all my carbs for the week for...hmm..I think I can have a small piece of cake one night.

Cotton & BUGBUG62...I LOVE those Cracklins out of Marksville!!...LOL..Eating some right now that my neighbor brought home to me after being at the Paragon last weekend.

Happy Cruising Everybody!!:D

I was on one of the islands and there were vendors selling fresh made ones. I tried a sample and OMG was it great. I bought some Jamacian Rum and I think I will try to make my own I found a recipe on recipe.com. If it doesn't turn out just right I will soak it with the remaining rum and then who cares how it tastes, It will taste like rum. I will let you know. I know nothing taste like the real thing but I think it is worth a try unfortunatly I can't run down to my local cruise ship and get one. only cause our pond will not hold one.

When you arrive at Grand Caymen, just outside the gate at the port, there is a Torguga Rum Factory store. You can get all you want there at the same price at the factory. The hardest part of buying them is deciding which flavors to get! Get plenty and freeze them when you get home.

Anyone care to share their favorite flavors? Least favorite? :) Looking forward to trying some.

Anyone care to share their favorite flavors? Least favorite? :) Looking forward to trying some.

Mine are Vanilla and Lemon-Ginger..... They also make Chocolate and Coffee at Calypso in Barbados. They sell the Tortuga Cakes on board the ship in the gift shop, but not the Calypso ones.

There is or at least was a Tortuga rum cake "copy cat" recipe on-line. It uses Whaler's Vanilla rum. We use Cruzin's Vanilla rum. I had to modify the original recipe because it ran over!:eek: My son's favorite cake-demanded it for his birthday cake-17 year old! We actually like the home made one much better than the Tortuga rum cake. Took one back last year for comparison. Home made much better and we don't bother to bring Tortuga's back anymore.

Archived